Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54258 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 June 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
Most deaths would perhaps be recorded by some one, and that, again is likely the Parish records, and as the recorder of the cemetery states it's the 'old cemetery', then perhaps either the headstone cannot be read, or there is no headstone.

Offline aussiegrrl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 August 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this forum, but since you asked, I would love some help!

I'm looking for my great great grandfather, Michael MURPHY, who was convicted of housebreaking (probably - one record suggests sheep-killing) at Thomastown on 27 June 1849 and later transported to Tasmania. His records only say that he was from Kilkenny Co, but if he was convicted at Thomastown (rather than in Kilkenny city), might we assume he was a local lad? Convict records suggest he was 30 at the time of conviction, so dob c. 1819. The only other info I have is that he had a sister Ellen and was married with 2 or 3 children (wife Margaret). He was transported in 1852 and I think that his wife may have emigrated to 'America' by that time (based on info in his convict records).

I would love to track down his family, as poor Michael was a tragic figure - he married again in Tasmania, but suffered from depression and made multiple suicide attempts before he successfully took his own life on St Patrick's day 1890 (taking rat poison).

Cheers, Karen

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this forum, but since you asked, I would love some help!

I'm looking for my great great grandfather, Michael MURPHY, who was convicted of housebreaking (probably - one record suggests sheep-killing) at Thomastown on 27 June 1849 and later transported to Tasmania. His records only say that he was from Kilkenny Co, but if he was convicted at Thomastown (rather than in Kilkenny city), might we assume he was a local lad? Convict records suggest he was 30 at the time of conviction, so dob c. 1819. The only other info I have is that he had a sister Ellen and was married with 2 or 3 children (wife Margaret). He was transported in 1852 and I think that his wife may have emigrated to 'America' by that time (based on info in his convict records).

I would love to track down his family, as poor Michael was a tragic figure - he married again in Tasmania, but suffered from depression and made multiple suicide attempts before he successfully took his own life on St Patrick's day 1890 (taking rat poison).

Cheers, Karen

Hi Karen

Have you tried  contacting   Roathe House in kilkenny  the local genealogy center  there very  helpfully  they    have a  great website  hhtp://kilkenny.brsgenealogy.com

They also contain old  newspapers from the 18th century.

Biggles5000

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I was there in 2005 and the PP was most helpful at that time. The person offerring the assistance hasnt been in contact since I posted the reply, so you may be right.

Back now after taking  a break  so if you would like some help please let me know.

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is a little of the mark but I am trying to find Cassins, Kilkenny.  now I think I might be on the right track and have found BDM with a registration district of Thomastown.  One is a Margaret Cassin died Oct to Dec Qrt of 1908 born c1838.  The other Mary M cassin died Jan to Mar qrt 1940.  I think Mary M lived in Hugginstown and Margaret in Aughaviller.  Would these be in the Thomastown registration district.  They were RC.

Any help greatfully received.

Violet

Hi i know the cassin family well there still living in thomastown to this day.

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find any information on Patrick Joseph Cashin(Cassin) born 1880 father James.  Patrick left Ireland to go to Wales and became a miner.  unfortunately he told nothing of his family in Ireland.  From the 1901 census we gleaned he came from Kilkenny. is it the county or the town we don't know.  The only other piece of infomation is a bible with the name Mary Cassin.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 November 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
KIlkenny is the county  now there is  cassins  still around Thomastown  also the cassin name is very popular in a small  village  called Inistioge which is  five miles outside thomastown  at that time was Inistige was mainly  church of Ireland.Try  and have a look at there parish records aswell you mite have a bit of  luck.

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 November 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry forgot to say the are Roman Catrholics

Offline gnasher22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 December 10 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Biggles, i have been tracing the jackman family, my father came from Bennettsbridge and so did a couple of generations before him but i am sure there must be a link between them and the Thomastown Jackmans, they all have the same christian names and some seem to be witnesses at christenings etc. they seem connected mostly around 1800-1900 and they all seem to live along the road between the two places, your thoughts please as the local expert.
thanks.