Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54394 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane, first stop LDS and then other sites as necessary.  I had discovered from the census 1901/11 how prolific the Walsh name is in Thomastown.  I am interested in the social and economic pressures which might have led to this family (Edward and Catherine, their children, son-in-law James Foley and James' brother Michael and wife) leaving Ireland. James Hudson committed suicide in a fit of insanity by slashing his throat in 1864, father-in-law Edward Foley was killed (justifiable homicide) while he was insane in 1870.  Not sure that the events in Australia can be associated with their reasons for leaving Ireland but contribute those facts as part of the family context. 

Regards,
Jennifer

Offline Tinamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 August 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gnasher22. This is my first time to use this site and I was surprised to see your post. I think that your grandfather Walter is my great grandfather. I have never heard about his time at Kilmurry house - I gather this is where Walter and Bridget met! Did Walter have one or two sisters?

Thank you Biggles, i have been going over to Kilkenny once a year for the past three years and met up with relations i had never met before it was great, i also traced my grandfather Walter Jackman [ of Bennettsbridge ] and my great grandfather on my Nans side John Donnelly of Thomastown, they both worked as labourers at Kilmurry house and when my grandad married John Donnellys daughter Bridget they lived in one of the gatehouses outside of Kilmurry house, i was invited into the house by the current resident and could not believe how small it was inside, it was two rooms, one 8 foot square the other about 7 foot square, that was where my father was born together with four other brothers and a sister, eventually they moved back to Bennettsbridge and had a house next to the Nore which was owned by the Mosse family [ the millers ] thank you again.

Offline gnasher22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 August 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Tinamac, Well what a lovely surprise, i guess we must be cousins? i would love to hear more about you and your [ our? ] family, where do you live? any way to answer your question i believe walter had at least two and possibly four sisters although i am not 100% on that at the moment, i have started to put a family tree together and have found quite a few names but i need to double check them and get them in some sort of order, i would be glad to share this with you if you are interested, we need to swap email addresses and phone no's but i think you will need to make three posts to this site before you can do this, his sisters are Anastatia, Mary and possibly Margret and eileen, hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 13 August 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Cassin headstones in Thomastown cemetery;

Mary Cassin; Coolroemore
27/4/1948 (68)
son-Patrick;
26/3/1979
Mary Cassin;
7/7/1983 (66)
her hus-James;
25/5/2002 (86)
-----
(all one plot)
Honoria Cassin; Coolroemore
12/7/1964 (87)
niece-Bridget Walsh;
6/7/1972 (77)

Kathleen Walsh; (nee Arhtur) Cloughhabrody
27/4/1996 (67)
hus-Jim;
4/10/2007 (78)

William Walsh; Kilfane Glebe
7/12/1969 (71)
wife-Anne;
9/12/1975 (77)
dtr-Margaret Carroll;
9/10/1978 (47)
------------------
Bridget Cassin; Boher
7/1/1979
Hus-James;
14/6/1984
=================================
Jack

Offline Tinamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 August 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
 :D Hi, Gnasher22. Good to hear back from you! I am just starting to try to put a family tree together so it would be good to be able to share info. Do you know what your grandfather Walter's dad was called? I was in Bennettsbridge last week - it's a lovely spot. Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
This headstone is in Thomastown cemetery.
Jack

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 August 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

I was interested in the headstones.  I saw that there were Cassins related to the Walsh's.

I have been trying to find a birth for Patrick Joseph Cassin/Cashin born Kilkenny, not sure if its county or town info gleaned off the census. Fathers name was James according to marriage cert   Patrick was born  c1880.  He married a Margaret Walsh born C1880 in Aberdare Wales.  Her parents James and Margaret Walsh born c 1840 are said to be from Ireland, big place.  James and Margaret had a boarding house in Wales and Patrick was a lodger and married the landlords daughter.  Patrick was a miner.  If anything rings a bell would be obliged.

Regards
Pat

Offline gnasher22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 August 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Tinamac, I have left my email in a personal message for you please let me know if you received it then i can forward some family tree details.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 August 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
New member need three posts before they have full access to the PM system - so Tinamac may need one more first...

see: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests