Author Topic: Memorial Inscriptions  (Read 33646 times)

Offline charlesx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 August 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brina. Was certainly worth the wait. Robert White and Lillian Gray are about my 6xGP's on my mum's side of family. Did not have Lillias's death before so ta for that. Some of children are also interesting but I am still trying to sort some of them out.

Thomas died 1823 aged 44 is particularly interesting as I think I have him dying 9 years later aged 52. He would be my 5xGP. His wife Janet Kemp died 1856 but I do not know where. Can you check her please in case buried somewhere else in same cemetery.

You did not say where these subs were - which cemetery. One attached to church?

If you are happy to look have other family members who lived at Slipperfield, Biggar, Crichton, Lasswade, St Cuthberts and Cramond but some of these are not in Peebleshire as far as I am aware.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Can provide more information if you want.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Offline charlesx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 August 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again Brina.

Have had a further look. Have at least 5 generations of WHITE's born in West Linton 1700 - to early - mid 1800's so it is likely many of the WL White's are related.

Some other known marriages are John Tait/Lillias White; William White/Mary Turner; William White/Christina Spears and Robert White/Margaret Craig. There was at least another James White who married but I do not know his wife's name. Also many other children but no known attachments.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Offline wkarvetski

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Brina, I had hoped to find Memorial Inscriptions book by Sheila Scott to find out the words at bottom of Betsy Proudfoot (death 14 Dec 1877) grave in Skirling Parish Churchyard.  It was dedicated to her by her son, Robert Noble.  It starts out "This tribute of a love" and is practically illegible.  Thank you for your help!

Offline charlesx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: West Linton Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 October 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Brina.

Reason I asked for help was 2 cousins going to UK for World Cup and taking time to have a look around. You may be interested to know that they managed to visit West Linton cemetery and found several headstones of interest including one for Robert and Lillias WHITE.

I am hoping to get some photos soon. Apparently inscription is still quite clear.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 23 October 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Wkarvetski I am so sorry that I've taken so long to send this message, have been pretty busy.   I've looked at the record but all it says is as follows:-
Wm Noble d Stirling 11.11.1879 68, w Betsy Proudfoot d there 14.12.1877 70, 6 of their chn inf.

I guess Sheila Scott only recorded the facts on the stones, not anything else.

Brina.

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 October 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Chas,
Thank you so much for letting me know why you wanted this information.   Happy to know that I have helped your cousins in some small way.

Brina

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I have been trying without success to find an online copy of Monumental inscriptions pre-1855 in Peeblesshire!  If it is still possible for a lookup please Brina?  Looking for any inscriptions relating to the surname Carrick in Kirkurd and Kilbucho.  Thank you, Anabanana

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I live near Kirkurd if you would like me to take photo for you?
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 March 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Mrs A, that is really kind of you.  I'm afraid I'm not even sure if there are any Carrick headstones at Kirkurd, but I know the family lived there (e.g. Bryland) in the 1700s and early 1800s.  Was hoping someone might have a copy of the inscriptions book to do a lookup