Author Topic: MacLeods/McLeods of Borreraig, Duirinish, Skye  (Read 16339 times)

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MacLeods/McLeods of Borreraig, Duirinish, Skye
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm looking for anyone with any connection to a couple of Macleod families who lived in Borreraig, Duirinish in Skye. The first family consisted of William Macleod B:c1828 D:27/06/1914, his wife Ann Macleod and their children Donald, Mary, Effy, Ann, Bella, Hugh and Malcolm(Twins). William's death cert was signed by a William Matheson, who was his grandson.

The second family was William's sister, Catherine Macleod B: c1831 D: 04/03/1915, her husband John Macleod and their children Mary, Marion, Donald, Janet, John, Mary and John.

William and Catherine's other siblings were Norman(my gggrandfather) B:1820 D: 1873, who married Christina MacLeod of the Trumpan family. Marion B: c1816 D: 1883 who married Neil Bethune/Beaton. Betsy B: c1818 D: 1892 who married Alexander Morrison, and Marion B: 1822 - unknown after that.

According to the 1851 census William was born in Lephin, Catherine in Husabost and Norman and Marion in Galtrigill. If any of the above rings a bell please get in touch.

Regards,
G.
SKYE(Macleod, Mackinnon, Macdonald, Campbell, MacRaild, Beaton)

RAASAY(Gillies, Macleod, Maclennan)

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

WICKLOW(Hollingsworth, Doonan)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)

Offline woiiftm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeods/McLeods of Borreraig, Duirinish, Skye
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Gordon,

You mention a Norman McLeod who married a Christina, by any chance was her maiden name McKenzie ?
I have Kemp's related to McLeods and a Morrison connection also, all with links to Skye

Regards

Gordon

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Christina's maiden name was MacLeod.

All the best

G.

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)

Offline Jim Bethune

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
[quote authorHello G

Iam a new member to this site and have found a link in Macleod's with my family.
Marion Macleod from Galtrigill was married to a great grand uncle three times removed from myself.

Kind Regards

Jim Bethune=GMac78 link=topic=440666.msg3038946#msg3038946 date=1267277758]
Hello all,

I'm looking for anyone with any connection to a couple of Macleod families who lived in Borreraig, Duirinish in Skye. The first family consisted of William Macleod B:c1828 D:27/06/1914, his wife Ann Macleod and their children Donald, Mary, Effy, Ann, Bella, Hugh and Malcolm(Twins). William's death cert was signed by a William Matheson, who was his grandson.

The second family was William's sister, Catherine Macleod B: c1831 D: 04/03/1915, her husband John Macleod and their children Mary, Marion, Donald, Janet, John, Mary and John.

William and Catherine's other siblings were Norman(my gggrandfather) B:1820 D: 1873, who married Christina MacLeod of the Trumpan family. Marion B: c1816 D: 1883 who married Neil Bethune/Beaton. Betsy B: c1818 D: 1892 who married Alexander Morrison, and Marion B: 1822 - unknown after that.

According to the 1851 census William was born in Lephin, Catherine in Husabost and Norman and Marion in Galtrigill. If any of the above rings a bell please get in touch.

Regards,
G.
[/quote]

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for anyone with any connection to a couple of Macleod families who lived in Borreraig, Duirinish in Skye

Hi G,

I can't help you directly, but we have many of the same surnames and places in my wife's family and I'm posting some details in case there is some connection.

We have Malcolm McLeod b.c1850 in Duirinish, son of John Macleod (crofter/fisherman) and Ann Morrison.  Malcolm married Ann Bethune/Beaton b.c 1853 in Duirinish, who was the daughter of Alexander Bethune (Tailor) and Johannah/Hannah McDiarmid (d 22 March 1900 at Waternish).  Johanna/Hannah was perhaps the daughter of Angus McDiarmid and Ann ?

Malcolm McLeod and Annie Bethune were married in April 1876 in Waternish (he was resident in Husabost) and they had at least four children: Donald (c1878), John (c1879), Alexander (1881) and Malcolm (1890).  Between John and Alexander the family moved from Duirinish to Govan, Glasgow.

I don't have much more, due to the difficulties of tracking the correct group of Mc/Macleods on Skye.  It is a long shot that there is any connection, but worth a try!

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Beatons but Marion Macleod from Galtrigill was a daughter of Donald, son of William, son of Alexander, son of Donald, son of John of Raasay. Donald son of John of Raasay was the tacksman of Galtrigill, he was one of those who helped Prince Charlie escape in 1746, his wife was a cousin of Flora Macdonald.

All the Best
G.

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 July 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rockford,

I can't find a connection between our Macleods, however I did come across a death record that I purchased a few years back(one of my dead ends) for a John Macleod in Husabost(1885) aged 92, son of Donald Macleod and Effy Morrison, husband of Ann Morrison. The cert is signed by his son another John.

All the Best
G.

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 July 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
I can't find a connection between our Macleods, however I did come across a death record that I purchased a few years back(one of my dead ends) for a John Macleod in Husabost(1885) aged 92, son of Donald Macleod and Effy Morrison, husband of Ann Morrison. The cert is signed by his son another John.

Hi G.,

It's a shame there is no direct connection, but thank you for the information on the John Macleod who died in 1885.  He's a strong possibility for my wife's ancestor.  I think I have him on a couple of census records, but his age fluctuates wildly, which is why I gave up as I couldn't be sure and it was costing too much to check all the John M(a)cleods.

I hope you do find a connection to the family in your original post.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline GMac78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 July 13 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rockford,

I'd say there's every chance the families are connected, but probably from some time in the 18th century before records began. I had the same difficulty with ages in my own research, I think my ggrandfather, on his marriage cert, gave his age as 25 when he was really 33.  I found another death record that might be of interest to you, this time for a Murdoch Macleod, son of Donald and Effy Morrison. He died in Milovaig/Millivaig in 1860 aged 60, his wife's name was Ann.

Best regards--G.

MEATH(Doonan, Robinson)

DUBLIN(Mcloughlin, Daly)

MANCHESTER(Gregory)