Author Topic: heligoland  (Read 7556 times)

Offline anderson100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
heligoland
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »
does anyone have an email address for heligoland. for either the pastor or the cemetary groundsman, or anyone who has information about the people who are buried there...

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: heligoland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
This link might help (has phone, fax and E-mail):

http://www.kirche-helgoland.de/kg.root/one.adressen/index.html

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi...Heligoland was British from 1807 to 1890 when it was swapped with the Germans for Zanzibar....
so my gg grandfather was born there in 1848 and when he moved to Liverpool was a BRITISH SUBJECT on the 1881 census.....where on earth would I find any records of him or his family when the Island was bombed and flattened during WW2....does anyone know if any records survived and who would have them ????  allan :)
just been told by another site  kruess[at]museum-helgoland.de
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

Have you check overseas BMDs?

Ken

Offline towson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi evryone I am a new member. I am interested in Helgoland too. My great grandfather was a lighthouse keeper there about 1870 and married a local girl. I have her birth ,marriage and passport. I have e-mailed the museum and am waiting for a reply, but given what the British did to it, there may be nothing to find. I have been there twice and still have some distant cousins  there. The Island was handed back to the residents in 1952, but there was hardly anything left standing or in one piece, including the graveyard. Its now a holiday resort favoured by Germans as it retains a duty free status(as far as I know that is still the case)

Offline towson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
I had a pm today about helgoland. Apparently I am unable to reply until I have made 3 postings. It was from garstonite, asking me how I went the Island.
First time I went I flew to Hamburg, then I had to get to Bremerhafen to catch a ferry, took a couple of hours I think, the weather was vile. When we got to Helgoland I had to transfer to a much smaller boat(that was fun!!!!) to get to the quayside. Second time I went I flew to Hamburg and changed to a local flight. I have looked on the net to find a flight but so far no luck.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 10 07:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Towson....I`m planning a trip there in the near future....cheers...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline phylscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 June 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
my gx3grandfather was born in Heligoland in 1821 - please if anyone is doing some research over ther look out for a James black, father Frederick black.
Calvert,Todd, Dumfries-shire
Black,Jones,Todd, Thompson, McDougall, McNair  Liverpool
Black  Ellis    Anglesey
William Kelsall Tait, Elizabeth Filkin Astbury  Staffs
McDougall  Mull, Oban, Greenock
McNair  Fairlie
McFarlan Greenock

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
A question which is meant seriously: Will the record be for Frederick Black, or Friedrich Schwartz? In other words was English or German used on the island when it was British?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)