Author Topic: LE CHEMINANT and TORODE of St. Peter Port  (Read 11122 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
LE CHEMINANT and TORODE of St. Peter Port
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather JAMES LE CHEMINANT was born in St Peter Port Guernsey  on 17th December 1822 and baptised at the Town Church on 8th January 1823.  He became a Sailor.

His Godparents were James Torode, Daniel Martel and Elizabeth Torode.

His parents were JACQUES (OR JAMES) LE CHEMINANT and MARIE LE CHEMINANT nee TORODE.

JACQUES (OR JAMES) LE CHEMINANT had his funeral on 26th December 1822 Town Church St Peter Port Guernsey (not sure when he died or why - but how sad to die around the time of your only child's birth!)

JACQUES (OR JAMES) (Born 1800 St Peter Port)  married MARIE TORODE (Born 1802 St Peter Port (daughter of NICHOLAS TORODE) on 18th February 1822 at the Town Church.

I have no idea what happened to MARIE TORODE after her husband's death.  Did she remarry, did she die young?

I have checked Censuses for  MARIE LE CHEMINANT or MARIE TORODE in 1841 but no joy, which made me suspect she most likely did marry again which would make sense.

I also would love to know more about her father NICHOLAS TORODE and to know who her mother had been.

Any advice or suggestions most gratefully received.

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<<, Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

lashem

Re: LE CHEMINANT and TORODE of St. Peter Port
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi History Fan,

I am researching Sheminant, the anglicized version of Le Cheminant. My (however many times 'x') Grandfather was Henry Thomas Sheminant, a mariner, apparently born in Guernsey 1812c. He married in Chatham, Kent, and died prematurely at Haslar Naval Hospital in 1851. His father, of the same name was a miller. I have had no luck in finding the link to Guernsey and can only hope that someone will claim him/them as an ancestor's sibling somewhere along the line.  Please remember me if you come across a stray Henry (or two!).
Happy Hunting,
Lesley (Sheminant)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Lashem,

I've had no joy with my search but spotted the following on the 1861 Census today which may relate to your family?

If it's the right family, had his widow re-married to a Mr Hall?

1861 Census at Jenkins Dale, Chatham, Kent
Thomas Hall (42) B 1819 Shoemaker B Chatham Kent
Kezia Hall (36) B 1825 Wife B Chatham Kent (looks like Kezia, even original transcript unclear)
Henry Sheminant (11) B 1850 Stepson B Chatham Kent
Emma Sheminant (10) B 1851 Stepdaughter B Chatham Kent (Blind)
William Sheminant Hall (9) B 1852 Son B Chatham Kent
Frances Hall (8) B 1853 Daughter B Chatham Kent

*Original Census transcript says 'son in law' for Henry Sheminant and 'daughter in law' for Emma Sheminant, but Stepson/daughter look more credible to me.

The surname is really muddled up on the 1851 Census, but I'm pretty sure it's Kezia, Henry and Emma here and the address ties up also

They are called Shenwart here but the original transcription looks more like Sheminant to be honest.  How they derived Chard from Kezia I don't know.

1851 Census at 8 Jenkins Dale, Chatham, Kent
Chard Shenwart (26) B 1825 Married Laundress B Kent
Henry Shenwart (1) B 1850 Son B Chatham Kent
Emma Shenwart (2mths) B 1851 Daughter B Chatham Kent

Later Censuses show this Henry Sheminant as Henry Thomas Sheminant - so could well be your Henry's son?

I also found a Mariner's record for your Henry Sheminant born 20/4/1814 in Guernsey which states that he first went to see in 1829 as a 'boy'.  That he had a dark complexion, brown hair and hazel eyes. 

He was first ticketed as a Mariner in 1845 #18165.  When next working the record stated that he 'was residing in Guernsey'

The record does not state which Parish in Guernsey he was born in, so a bit of a dead end there.

On the BMD UK Index I found that Henry Sheminant married Kezia Hinge Q1 1849 in Medway Kent (so the Kezia on the 1861 Census must be his Widow with her new husband Mr Hall)

Hope this is of some help to you

Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline Adam Crossley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 16 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Ive just been using ancestory.co.uk to see how far I could get. The best part was my grandmother had old birth/marriage certificates stored so I had a good start point.

My 3rd great grandfather was called Thomas le cheminant. He was married to a Louise Guille. He was born 1848 (give or take a year) in Guernsey (I keep seeing a place called Catel or st mary de castro. I don't know Guernsey all to well but it doesn't seem like a big place anyway). He had a child called Alice mary le cheminant who got married to a John Machon. They are my 2nd great grandparents.
The interesting part is I believe Alice Mary had a brother called Adolphus who was married to a Edith May(/Mary) Torode born 1885 in St. Saviour, Guernsey. She had 2 children Olive Edith le cheminant and Eustace le cheminant. Her father is possibly Nicholas Torode with a wife called Marianne.

Hope this helps anyone.

Adam Crossley

Surname interests: Crossley, Hitchen, Machon, Le Cheminant, Torode, Woodhouse

Offline Shabelleb89

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hello
Adolphus le Cheminant is my grandfather
His 2nd wife..Barbara blaize is my grandmother who passed away in 2018. He was a lot older than her when they were married and had children. My mum is one of the children and was only 4 when he died so we dont have a lot of information.  If anyone has any info please get in touch

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Re earlier query;
(which has probably been found by now)

Marriage;
05 Oct 1857, St Mary the Virgin, Chatham, Kent
Thomas HALL, 38, Widr, Cordwainer, Father THOMAS a Cordwainer
Keziah CINNAMON, Widow, 33, Father Thomas HINGE a Labourer
(FreeREG)

The Marriage of Henry SHEMINANT to Kezia 1849 Kent is also on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Albo261

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 September 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello
Adolphus le Cheminant is my grandfather
His 2nd wife..Barbara blaize is my grandmother who passed away in 2018. He was a lot older than her when they were married and had children. My mum is one of the children and was only 4 when he died so we dont have a lot of information.  If anyone has any info please get in touch

Hi, I've got loads of info on Adolphus. Managed to find a picture of him as well.

Alex