Author Topic: McConnell & Todd Surnames  (Read 33174 times)

Offline Missantrim18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McConnell & Todd Surnames
« Reply #72 on: Friday 16 February 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to mention, William smith showed on the lenon Wylie directory at 186 Ligoniel road in 1951, that is where I lose track of him.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 16 February 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to mention, William smith showed on the lenon Wylie directory at 186 Ligoniel road in 1951, that is where I lose track of him.

1960 directory- 186 Ligoniel- Robert Smith
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/Lcomplete1960.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Missantrim18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 17 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Robert Smith aka bobby todd, lived at 186 Ligoniel road until the early 70's, he was knocked down and killed by a bus.

Offline Wfrizz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi There, I'm a descendant of Robert Todd and Ann Craig mentioned in this post. Would it be possible to get more information on the Craig History and their trip to Canada? Also, you mentioned James's birth in Ireland, would you have a location?

I've been collecting information from the archives and tombstones too, if you'd like any more details on that Todd line.

By the way, in Springton Cemetery, PE, Robert Todd (1804-1844, aged 44, and several of Robert's children are buried. Of note, is a different Todd/Gillespie tombstone. It has Henry Todd (1867-1926), Hannah Gillespie (1873-1915), and their son, Johnnie Todd (1908-1913) listed on the stone.

Thanks so much!

I also am an ancestor of Robert Todd (1807-1844) husband of Anne Craig. He is my 3rd great-grandfather. His son James (1820-1884) married Catherine MacIntosh. Their son, my 2nd great-grandfather Robert James Todd (1856-1933) married Ann MacIntosh. My grandfather was James Robert Todd (1888-1964) married Christena Thomas.
I am looking for additional information on Robert and Ann Craig. I have that Robert was born in Scotland?

Offline ashbash11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My interset in Antrim is the McCONNELL & TODD families of Ballyeaston / Ballyclare areas

William McCONNELL born Cogry 1808 married Margaret TODD born Cogry 1812, they married at Ballyeaston in 1833.  I take it that Cogry is a hamlet around Ballyeaston.

They had 3 children that I know of:
Margaret b 1834
Thomas b c1835
Agnes b 1841

Somehow Agnes was on a ship contracted to bring immigrants from Donegal to Australia as part of what was known as the Donegal Relief Fund.  She Married Michael DUGAN/DUGGAN on the voyage out to Australia,

Anyone know of this family??

Cheers
Geoff

Hello

I know this post is very, very old! But I’m beginning to research my own family tree and came across this.

My maternal grandfather was Hugh Todd, of Doagh, born 1931.

His parents were Hugh Todd and Joanna Twigg.

My grandfather also, I believe, had a sister named Agnes, which I am assuming is a namesake of the above? I think they were 2 of  10 children.

My grandfather was born and bred in the “Fourmileburn” area of Doagh, and very proud of it.

Cogry is about 2 miles out of Doagh. They were known as the Mill Villages.

McConnells pub also still stands in Doagh today however not sure they would be anything in relation to the funeral directors that used to be in a Ballyclare.

They are two very common surnames in the town! So it’s little wonder the roots are hard to pin down  ???

Going to keep an eye on this thread. I noticed Rashee mentioned previously! I still live in the area so may be able to offer some assistance there. (Ballyclare, Rashee, Cogry & Doagh are all within walking distance of each other!)

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 07:05 GMT (UK) »
G'day Ashbas11,
 I have been told a family story about my original couple Agnes and Michael.  It says that this couple met. and were madly in love,  but when their families found out they forbid them to ever see each other again.This led to them eloping and getting on a ship bound for Australia. This sounds like it might be a case of the Orange and the Green to me as that was how bad they looked on this in the days of old and I suppose some still do. One latelythe documents I have says they were married on the 18th May 1859 I think it is, and they were married by father Francis Coffey. Agnes died 22nd Dec 1877 aged 37 years giving her a birth year of 1840 and the cause of death was a malignant disease of the stomach. She was either 18 or 19 when she married it all fits together very nicely. Agnes and Michael had 6 children A4 boys and two girls. They were;
Patrick B 1860-1952, William 1862-1897, John J 1864-1894, Margaret 1867-1957, James 1869-1917, Sarah 1872-1945.
I. have to look into her parents more now after there has been a lot more records released lately.
if I find anything I will post it here  Cheers Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
HI Ashbash,

How about if we correspond by email?  My email is RMcMurtry  at baymoon dot com.

I found a Hugh Todd of Donamoy sp? md 1909 to Annie Twigg pf Doagh and had a daughter Johanna in 1918.   They ae in the 1911 census in Ballyhamage, Ballyclare as Hugh aged 26 (born 1885). and son John aged 3.

There is a Hugh Todd in the 1901 census born 1882 son of Hugh Todd (deceased) or possibly David Todd and Rachell McCleery Todd; There is a Hugh Todd b 1880 living in Ballysavage, Donegore living with the brattie family

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 16 January 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hugh and Annie Twigg their daughter Joanna married Peter de Haro and died in England at a young age her sister married his brother.
Their son John died at a great age unmarried.

ASHBASH if you have the detail to Joanna Twiggs parents that would be lovely....I am descended from Annie Twigg ....my great grande mother was her sister. Also where are your Todds buried.

Regards Steve

<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 16 January 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifyuing that John Todd son of Hugh Todd and Annie Twigg died unmarried.  Did I interpret your message correctly that the John you were referring to was John Todd?

Richard