Author Topic: Dorothy HANBURY-KING nee WHITEHEAD - Galton Lodge, Surrey  (Read 20407 times)

Offline MacduffD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy HANBURY-KING nee WHITEHEAD - GALTON LODGE, SURREY
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 June 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
Debra,

Thanks for the response - good to meet you too!  I look forward to receiving your message!  Hopefully, I've now posted enough posts!

Robert

Offline THK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy HANBURY-KING nee WHITEHEAD - Galton Lodge, Surrey
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 08:13 GMT (UK) »
AussieGaz my name is Geoff hanbury-king and we have the original name change for hanbury and king. NF H-K is my great grandfather. We live in zar

Offline THK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
AussieGaz my name is Geoff hanbury-king and we have the original name change for hanbury and king. NF H-K is my great grandfather. We live in zar

Offline Crimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 August 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
I'm new to RootsChat so forgive me if I'm not replying correctly to this thread.
I am picking up on the Whiteheads in Barnjet, Kent and have written responses to a few people who have included information/notes - hope this works!
Let me know where I've gone wrong if not. :-)

to AussieGaz

Dorothy Whitehead’s father was John Dunstan Whitehead

One of Dorothy’s brothers (John Dunstan jnr) married into the Hanbury family - Elffrida Mildred Victoria Hanbury
One of Dorothy’s sisters (Clara Martha) married into the Hanbury family - Ernest Osgood - later divorced

John Dunstan Whitehead was brother of Thomas Miller Whitehead
One of this children (Fanny Martha Whithead) also married into the Hanbury family - Edwin Charles Hanbury

…and there were probably more!

The Hanbury family were of status - I have only just started researching them but their family bank later joined with the Lloyds brothers from Birmingham and the end result is the Lloyds bank we know today in the UK.

Dorothy was obviously given the name due to the family connections (I can’t spot a direct link) and my suspicion is therefore that the Hanbury name was used as a means of status.

I live in Kent and travelled over to Yalding today (about 20 minutes) and found the grave/monument where John and Martha Eliza are buried along with their children Thomas Miller, John Dunstan and Martha Anne - I have photos of this and the Church if you’re interested.

As a point of interest, John Dustan jnr married a Rose Selby
She was born in West Malling, where I live.
West Malling is about 10 minute drive from Barnjet (now really part of Barming, outside Maidstone in Kent)

I have only just started searching this line of my family tree but I went to the church next to Barnjet today and found the grave of John Whitehead and Mary (John’s second wife)
The grave of Decimus Whitehead is also there along with Alice Rebecca Whitehead.
There were also a number of Selby’s.

Barnjet is the next property on from the church although it is set back from the road and surrounded by farmland so it can’t really be seen.
I'm intending to try and find out who lives there in order to get in touch so I don’t know if we can continue this conversation on a private message so I can keep you in the loop - I’m new to Rootschat so not sure how it all works.

to carochar
As I mention above - there are number of Selby’s buried at Barming Church so let me know if you would like me to note any of these down as the name is of interest to you.

Debra (Dundee)
Those memoirs have really caught my eye and I would love to learn more about the property, especially as I'm hoping to get in touch with the current owners. I know it’s a cheek with so many people being interested but do let me know if you feel you could share them with me.

robert (Macduff D)
Again, if you would be willing to share any photos you have of Barming from the past, it would be great to be able to provide you with current photos if you don’t have access to these.
I'm not sure where you're from but I'm intending to pay the Kent History library a visit so may be able to find some other photos if you have a particular interest.

In short - to everyone. I live close to where the early Whiteheads lived and it's all of interest to me so let me know if there's anything in particular you would like me to look into, photograph, etc.

Matt

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Crimbo
Not too sure what has happened however I cannot see me ever having thanked you for all of the information that you shared in your post from some years ago.
Fascinating.
I have not had time to do much on my research, so its great to rekindle the process.
Much appreciated
AussieGaz
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline Crimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 April 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Not a problem at all - feel free to ask any questions about the local area or to see if I can get any useful photos etc.

Take care.
Matt