Author Topic: frewen family  (Read 16013 times)

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: frewen family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 June 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have come across this before. There were two churches in or around Limerick with the name St John's . One was RC and the other, which is where James Mayfield and Ellen Maria Frewen got married, was COI.

renibacterium

Offline Golden Oldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 June 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
It looks like Limerick is the place to be looking.
Would I be able to get the marriage certificate from anywhere?
regards Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 June 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Marriage Certs are only available from the start of civil registration, which was in 1845 for non-Catholic marriages. Before this you will be looking for parish registers. Unless you can view the original, or a microfilm of it, these are usually available as transcripts of the records.

The only online source I know of at them moment for parish records for Limerick city is the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie  Note : early marriage records are often quite basic - so the record may only show date, names of the bride and groom, and witnesses (i.e. no parents or occupations)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 August 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
It looks like Limerick is the place to be looking.
Would I be able to get the marriage certificate from anywhere?
regards Ann

The baptism of Sophia Frewen is now on Irish Genealogy Church Records. Dublin(RC) ,   St Mary, Pro Cathedral,  on 9 August 1823. Father Thomas Frewen, mother Mary of Dorset St. Witnesses William Frewen & Ellen Frewen ( probably siblings to Thomas, Ellen married James Mayfield in 1830). reni.

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
After all this time, I revisited this side of my family tree with some of the older members of the family.  The story in the family is that my ggrandmother (Maria Frewen) attended a French Hugeneot church around Patrick Street near where the current Iveagh Buildings stand.  I have checked and can find neither a church (although St. Patrick's Cathederal did have a Hugeneot chapel), nor any mention of the surname Frewen as a Hugeneot name. 

Offline Kerryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Donno,
See my response #12 earlier. The Huguenot suggestion is IMO a wrong lead. There was a William Samuel Frewen involved in a court case over an election (City Council?) in the 1850's in Dublin. He was a Relieving Officer (+/- Welfare Officer) in Meath St area (not far from Hannover Court/ Patrick St.) and was accussed of buying votes for his candidate.  What lineage have you got to date? 

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Its been a while now since I last looked at this side of the family.  To date I have discovered my gggrandfather William Frewen married Maria Bishop on 29/1871 (no helped by the fact that his surname has been recorded as Finen, Fruen and Fruin !!).  They had six children..Lucy born 1877 died 1878, John Joseph born 1872 died 1878, William born 1884 died 1945, Maria born 1878 died 1964, Julia born 1888 died 1931 and Frederick born 1885 died 1902.  All on Irish Genealogy.

I found the marriage for William Frewen & Maria Bishop and his father and mother are both listed.  They were William & Lucy Frewen and were living at 5 Wood Street.  William (their son) was listed as living at 5 Burkes Cottages on the marriage cert.  Would this have been normal, the fact that he was not living at the same place as his parents.  He was living at the same address as the two witness to the marriage - John and Agnes Bishop.  I actually have a photo of this Agnes Bishop which is great, but no other information on her.

I have really hit a blank wall with William & Lucy Frewen so any help at all would be great.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Its been a while now since I last looked at this side of the family.  To date I have discovered my gggrandfather William Frewen married Maria Bishop on 29/1871 (no helped by the fact that his surname has been recorded as Finen, Fruen and Fruin !!).  They had six children..Lucy born 1877 died 1878, John Joseph born 1872 died 1878, William born 1884 died 1945, Maria born 1878 died 1964, Julia born 1888 died 1931 and Frederick born 1885 died 1902.  All on Irish Genealogy.

I found the marriage for William Frewen & Maria Bishop and his father and mother are both listed.  They were William & Lucy Frewen and were living at 5 Wood Street.  William (their son) was listed as living at 5 Burkes Cottages on the marriage cert.  Would this have been normal, the fact that he was not living at the same place as his parents.  He was living at the same address as the two witness to the marriage - John and Agnes Bishop.  I actually have a photo of this Agnes Bishop which is great, but no other information on her.

I have really hit a blank wall with William & Lucy Frewen so any help at all would be great.

Omitted to say Father deceased!

Have you looked for Death of father?

Help if one posts Links to things they found!

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11333/8159555.pdf

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Name   LUCY FREWEN
Year of Death   1873
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Dublin South
Deceased Age at Death   48

Returns Year   1873
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   2
Returns Page No   584

??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.