Author Topic: frewen family  (Read 15657 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: frewen family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
There's no sign of a Thomas Frewen as a printer listed in Thom's 1850... The directory only covers Dublin city and county, so wouldnt show him if he was from outside Dublin. The trade listings dont include everybody, and would probably only show Thomas is he ran his own business.

Just one Frewen listing in the Index - a Stephen Frewen, Solicitor with addresses at 16 Kildare St, Dublin and also at Limerick

In 1850 the address given by the bride and groom on the marriage record of 57 Jervis St is listed as :

Robert Stephen Chamberlain, professor of dancing
   St. Mary's Dispensary

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Golden Oldie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your help. I think I have hit the brick wall on my Frewens. Maybe one day someone will find that they have Sophia as a relation.
I always thought the address on the marriage certificate read 57 James Street, but the writing is not too easy to read so I will change my records for that
Kind regards
Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
I agree that the residences for bride & groom on the cert are difficult to read. IrishGenealogy have interpreted these as Jervis St, and I think they are correct. There are very definite i dots over the street name -  which fits, and also most of Jervis St is in the civil parish of St. Marys which fits with the church and parish where the marriage took place.  The squiggle after Jervis is very strange - doesn't really look like St, but I cant think of what else it could stand for ...the number is too high for a terrace or lane

James' St is in the parish of St. James

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kerryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 11 13:23 BST (UK) »
Interesting that Sophia Frewen’s father’s was a Thomas – this Christian name is associated with the Limerick Frewens, who are a branch of the Frewens of Northiam. Between the two, there are dozens of Thomas Frewens.....

A Thomas Frewen born Northiam, Sussex 1611 is generally regarded as the founding member of the family in Ireland. His grandson, Rev. Thomas Frewen, Rector of Castleconnell was father of William Frewen, Gentleman, who married Phebe Davis on 16th May at St. Bridgets, Dublin (Marriage Lists for 1754 Dublin) and who had a daughter Sophie. Not your one, but an example of the coincidence of names.

The only Sophia Frewens I have come across are from the Castleconnell, Co. Limerick branch of the Frewen family. Apart from the Sophia who married Tisdall I mentioned above, the others are:

Limerick Chronicle            Saturday 15 November 1800
Married last Thursday to Ml. Ryan, Sadler of Newport, Co. Tipperary, to Miss S. Frewen daughter of Mr. Frederick Frewen late of Castle Connell.

Clare Journal               Monday 28 January 1811
On Thursday morning Mr. William Erson of Limerick to Miss Sophia Frewen daughter of the late John Frewen, Esq., of Castle Connell.

Limerick Evening Post         Wednesday 2 September 1812
Married on Sunday Mr. W. Tisdall of this city, grocer, to Miss Sophia Frewen, daughter of the late J. Frewen of Castle Connell, Esq.

Shanew –  re the Stephen Frewen, Solicitor with addresses at 16 Kildare St, Dublin and Limerick – I suspect that  the Dublin address is an accommodation one, as there is a requirement for a country lawyer to maintain a Dublin postal address for service of documents.  Stephen is a name common in the Limerick (and Northiam) family. There were several generations of lawyers (many Williams) in the Limerick and Tipperary families.

From the Frewen families listed in the second post on this thread, most are from the Tipperary branches, but the Crumlin ones are as far as I know not (closely) related to them. My suggestion is to concentrate on the Castleconnell branch and you might be lucky!
Rs
K.

Offline Golden Oldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
Your help is really great. I do not want to take up too much of your time but one last thing.
As my members name suggests I am not a youngster and could not travel to Ireland although it is my dream. Where are the best places (sites etc ) to carry on my research.

Offline Kerryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi G.O.,
The Lawrence Frewin site has a good amount of info. Unfortunately, there are so many Thomas Frewen men - particularly in the Limerick branch - that it's a nightmare to research them. Prior to about 1850 in Ireland also enters a more difficult era.

Your best bet is to build up a family profile from those you know, including siblings and push back from there. You have clues - Sophia is a Limerick Frewen name and tradition in the Frewen family is that the Castleconnell (Limerick) branch remained Church of Ireland (Anglican) until the 1800s. Your Sophia, while born in Dublin, was married in a CoI ceremony. The other contemporaneous 'cluster' of Frewens is in Tipperary, they were as far as I know all Catholic in the post 1800 era. I've not done any research in Limerick, but someone here may be able to point you to a Heritage Centre there or in Clare, as Castleconnell is almost on the border between the two counties...
Good look in the search,
Rs
K.

Offline renibacterium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 June 11 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Golden Oldie,

The witnesses at Sophia Frewen & George Chipperfield's wedding in 1847 are James Mayfield & Ellen Maria Mayfield (nee FREWEN) who were husband and wife and ancestors of my wife. Ellen Maria Frewen was born about 1804 in Limerick and married James Henry Mayfield  (b c1788) a Jeweller, in 1830. Ellen maybe the sister of Sophia, or possibly  the sister of Sophia's father Thomas Frewen. Ellen died in about 1879, after which James Mayfield moved to London to be with his now dead daughter's ( Ellen Maria Fetherston) family headed by his son-in law John Thomas Fetherston (b c1825 Dublin). You can find them in the 1881 census. James Mayfield lived to 103 yrs.

renibacterium

Offline Golden Oldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 June 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information. This is my first link after many years and I will follow it up.
I am really grateful
Regards
Ann

Offline Kerryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
I looked in my file of Misc. Frewen/Frewin/Fruin/Fruen 's using Mayfield as a searchword and found a single entry - James Mayfield and Ellen Maria married on 25 Jul 1830 in St John’s Limerick. Today St. Johns is the Catholic cathedral in Limerick, (present one built in 1861) ....wonder if the earlier St. Johns also was RC, which is interesting, considering that Sophia in Dublin married in a CoI ceremony. It also proves my hunch that there was a strong likelihood of a Limerick Frewen connection ;)
Rs
K.