Author Topic: frewen family  (Read 15911 times)

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: frewen family
« Reply #36 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark, in relation to the information on the Lucy Frewens - this is what I have come up with from the Irish Genealogy website.  Baby Lucy Frewen (daughter of William & Maria) born 1877 and died 1878.  This is definitely my greatgrandmother's sister.  The Lucy Frewen who died in 1873 aged 48, this is the lady whose death cert I wish to get (I live quite close to the GRO so its actually faster for me to go there, rather than apply for it online, but I have been aware of their online facility for quite some time).  I wish the death cert gave females maiden name if they were married, but that would be too good to be true.  I am hoping she may be my elusive 3 x great grandmother.  The other Lucy Frewen listed who died in 1928...she may possibly be related....perhaps I will never know...as I seem to be hitting a brick wall with these Frewens.

The Frewen family seem to be based in Limerick and Tipperary, but to date I have found no link with my Dublin Frewens !  Again, thank you for taking the time to help.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Glasnevin
https://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/  use advanced search

change ''exact'' to ''contains'' in both first and surname boxes
change ''exact ''to 10yrs in D O D box

enter a e i o u individually in first name box
enter Frew into surname box
there are several Frewen/Frewin buried there
including a Thomas Frewen 1834 no age given

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Lucy Frewen who died 1873 age 48 is listed on Glasnevin index as Lucy Fruen

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dathai..I found Lucy Fruen and bought her burial record around 3.30pm lol.  Unfortunately, it only records her address (5 Wood Street) ..I was hoping it would include details maybe of her next of kin...But at least I know this is definitely my ggg grandmother, so the next time I am in Glasnevin I will have a look for the grave.  No sign of her husband William being buried there at the moment, but I haven't exhausted all the search options for him yet.  Thanks a million.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Best to give them a phone call before visiting as it could be a common or unpurchased grave which may have been sold on later.
My wife's grandfathers sister died 1903 and when i located the grave exactly a hundred yrs
later it had a brand new headstone on it so i inquired at the office and was told it had been sold recently as it was not purchased previously, i believe this is common practice.

Charles Frewell
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02316/1868012.pdf

William Frewen
http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/236.php
is also on Griffiths Valuations 1854 same address beside Patrick's Close 1854 as Frewin
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 05 March 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Did you purchase the book image for Lucy Fruen  it usually gives marital status and who caused body to be buried

Offline Bob Frewen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 March 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I’ve researched the Limerick Frewen line but with no emphasis on those in Dublin. I would place a bet that your family is not from Tipperary and probably has its roots in one of the ‘later’ generations from Co. Limerick. The Tipp line was uniformly RC, while the Limerick branch converted over the 1700’s, usually on marriage
The clues are in the Christian names. The original Frewen in Ireland settled in Castleconnell in the 1650’s. Frewen Family researchers believe that he was Thomas, and that his older brother Joseph was the ‘Captain Frewen’ killed at the siege of Kilkenny.  (Whitelock’s Memorials).  By the end of the 1600’s the eldest male descendant, named Joseph, had lands in the townlands of Cloon, Lacka and Gardenhill among others which on his death went to his eldest son, Thomas (all those townlands are around Castleconnell - see Memorial extract — Nick Reddan’s Registry of Deeds Index Project Memorial No: 13074 describing the transfer of land owned by Joseph Frewen deceased by his relict & sole executrix Sarah, to their son Thomas Frewen.) Sarah was a daughter of Samuel Eames.
This Thomas attended TCD 1708 – 11  (he’s listed in Alumni Dublinensis) and is the Rev. Thomas Frewen (1688 - 1750) of Castleconnell who married a Mary/Maria Spring. Among their children were Joseph, William and Eames Frewen. The latter had a son Frederick. He was one of the very few Frewens named Frederick and none of that name occur in the Tipperary branch. William married in Dublin (Marriage Lists for 1754: -  William Frewen, Gentleman, married Phebe Davis on 16th May). It is not known if he remained in Dublin or if he was William the landholder of Shewer, near Newport, Co Tipp., who also had a younger son and at least one grandson named William (about whom I know little). That land had to be sold and the descendant  (c1830-1860) George, took his family (including a son William) to NYC.
The 1700’s saw the beginning of the downward spiral of the wealth of the Castleconnell Frewens. By the early 1800’s the wealthier branches of the family also were beset by land problems (title, unpaid rents and violence associated with rent collection).  Younger sons had to ‘make their own way’. Several were in the legal and medical professions. By the late 1700’s there were dozens of Frewens named William, Thomas and John with varying degrees of wealth/poverty, some were Established Church, others – like some of the descendants of Eames Frewen,  Roman Catholics. It is impossible to differentiate them with certainty as the records do not exist.
By the first half of the 1800’s those named William Frewen included a prominent Limerick solicitor and another who was transported for life to Australia. William the solicitor and his brother Thomas (a doctor) had ‘a large number of natural children’ according to George Dartnell (1788 – 1862)  who married Dr. Thomas’ only legitimate heir, a daughter, Rose. However a son was named in newspaper reports as William. (Waterford Mail of 30th August 1834 with an extract from the Limerick Herald – ‘The Late Doctor Frewen - The sudden death of this gentleman in Dublin under melancholy and peculiar circumstances [he was undergoing bankruptcy proceedings] has caused the deepest affliction in his family. It is affirmed that the manner of concealment both of his death and burial, for many days, from his friends, and in particular from his son, Mr. William Frewen, whom he had desired to meet him at the Bank of Ireland on the day of his decease, but who was left in ignorance of his misfortune, together with some other strange and afflictive reasons, have filled them with the direct alarm at such mystery.’)

William the Solicitor (1756 – 1837) also had a son  William Samuel by his wife Anne McCallister. However, his death notice (Freemans Journal 11 August 1837) makes no mention of wife or offspring. The brothers William Solicitor and Thomas MD had to have been Church of Ireland, but Thomas’ son William could have been either CoI or RC as he probably was raised by his mother and took her religion.

I’ve no proof, nor have I ever researched it  but always had a slight suspicion that the Doctor's son William was the ‘founder’ of the family that lived in what is now Dublin 8, and is the William Frewen mentioned as witness in the courtcase as a "collector" to the  Evening Mail "since it commenced”. (case is covered in the Dublin Evening Post of 28 April 1827).
Of course I could be entirely wrong, but you have some clues above.
Regards,
Bob Frewen

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob, thank you so much for all that information.  I have often read your posts online re the Frewen family.  I wonder if I will able to trace back the line.  There are so many conflicting stories in the family in relation to their religion.  My greatgrandmother (Maria Frewen) was Catholic, but one of her grandsons told me that she was from a Heugenot family, went to church in St. Patrick's Cathedral and taught them all Protestant hymns.  Yet, Frewen is not a Heugenot name but they did have relatives who did have a Heugenot name (Blanchfield)...but these Blanchfields were also Catholics !!  I might never get to the end of it Bob, but you have certainly given me enough information there to keep me busy for a while !!

Offline Bob Frewen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donno,
If you come across anything new give me a shout and I’ll see if I can add anything to it, if only to rule it out! I have a collection of various Limerick Frewen family oddments, some of which were given to me by Allan Frewen Chapman (of Mass., USA), an authority on the Limerick branch. He and his late wife were keen genealogists - his maternal line is from a Castleconnell Frewen, Francis, a son of John Frewen of Woodpark, and Elizabeth Jane, third daughter of Vere Dawson Hunt of Cappagh Co. Tipperary who married in May 1831. Thanks to his work I have been able to resolve many questions on Frewens in the US and tie them in to Tipperary or Limerick branches. Best of luck with the research
Regards
Bob
PS The Blanchfield  surname - surely that is of Norman origin and not Huguenot?