Author Topic: 47th Regiment of Foot  (Read 1631 times)

Offline chrisx2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
47th Regiment of Foot
« on: Tuesday 02 March 10 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about my ancestor Sergeant John Mahony of this Regiment. I know that after his discharge he was a "Barracks Sergeant" at Buttevant Barracks in County Cork between 1858 and 1862 but know very little else about him  other than that he was born about 1810-1815 and that his wife's name was Martha Matilda (Barnes). His daughter Harriet Amelia Mahony married William Wheeler in Buttevant in 1858 and his son Frederick Henry Mahony attended the Royal Hibernian Military School in Dublin from 1858 onwards

If anyone has any information about him I would be grateful

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 47th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched for his service record at Kew? This should give his age on enlistment and place of birth. If so the only other information would be the muster books for the 47th Regiment. These will tell you where he was on the first of each month. They are in Kew and as original documents you will need a readers ticket. His first and final entry in the musters may give his age and place of birth - but not guaranteed. At least you can find out where the sergeants were out recruiting when he enlisted.

The army did not record FH information in this period, so I assume you have find this information from other sources.

Where does the information about the RHMS come from? Most records were destoyed during the WW2 blitz. It suggests his wife died at this time, and he could not look after the son, as his grown up daughter had married. Boys stayed at the miltary schools until they were 14. Of course he may have been 'claimed' earlier.

Ken

Offline chrisx2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Ken - thanks for your response. As I am living in New Zealand I have not been able to search the Kew records yet but I am arranging for a search to be done on my behalf later this year.

The RHMS information is on the very helpful website http://www.rma-searcher.co.uk/ which indictes that Frederick was age 11 years & 3 months when he was admitted to RHMS. I have information about Frederick's military career which seesms to confirm this.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 10 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

I read his age as 7 years and 11 months

Ken

Offline chrisx2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 10 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

The surname of the child you mentioned was Mahoney. My relative was Mahony  - born 10/11/1846.

Very confusing with Mahoney & Mahony both in the same Regiment!

Regards

Chris

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Ken