Author Topic: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt  (Read 20940 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 March 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
This is just a further update in case anyone else can connect to this family.

George Woods (husband of Anne Gilliland) was baptised at Bailieborough on 29 May 1842.  His brother Robert Woods (husband of Susan Boyle) was baptised at Bailieborough on 21 June 1840.

From the parish records for Bailieborough, I have discovered two further siblings:

- James Woods, son of Charles Woods (farmer, Pottle) and Eliza Woods, baptised 8 January 1837
- Anne Woods, daughter of Charles Woods (farmer, Pottle) and Elizabeth Woods, baptised 27 March 1836.

Another possible connection is the family of Arthur Woods, farmer at Urcher and later plasterer.

When Robert Woods (brother of George Woods) married Susan Boyle at Bailieborough in September 1864, one of the two witnesses was a William King.  When Mary Woods (sister of Robert Woods & George Woods) married Hugh McBirney at Bailieborough in February 1863, William King was again one of the two witnesses.  William King appears again as one of the witnesses (along with Andrew Woods) at the marriage at Bailieborough in December 1858 of John Woods (son of Arthur Woods) to Elizabeth Beatty.

The parish records for Bailieborough record Arthur Woods's children as:

- John Woods, baptised 4 March 1827
- Andrew Woods, baptised 5 September 1830
- Anne Woods, baptised 23 November 1834.

Arthur's wife is recorded as Nancy, Anne or Mary.  After farming at Urcher, Arthur was a plasterer at Galbolie and Wilton.

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 June 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
I notice that Robert and Susan had a child Samuel. Would you know if that name was connected to either side of the families?
Thank you

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 June 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
Tracey

I think this is the only Samuel that I have come across in the Woods family.  So I am guessing that the name may come from Susan Boyle's family.

Now for some speculation!  Robert Woods & Susan Boyle's first son was named Thomas, while Samuel was the second son.  Going by tradition, the first son would be named after the husband's father.  In this case, that would have been Charles Woods, rather than Thomas.  But, interestingly, Robert Woods' brother George Woods also named his first son Thomas.  I believe that Charles Woods died young, and perhaps his sons both named their first sons after some pseudo-father figure named Thomas.  (A later son of Robert Woods was given the name Charles.)  Thereafter, the second son would traditionally be named after the wife's father which, in the case of Robert Woods & Susan Boyle, would have been after Thomas Boyle.  But the name Thomas had already been given for Woods reasons to the first son.  So perhaps Samuel was the next favoured Boyle name and was, therefore, given to the second son.  Again following tradition, the name Samuel may have come from Susan Boyle's eldest brother named Samuel Boyle.  But this is all speculation.

At the time of his marriage to Susan Boyle, Robert Woods was resident at Pottle with other members of the Woods family.  Their first son, Thomas Woods, was born on 9 August 1865 at Galboly, with Robert Woods recorded as a labourer resident at Galboly (which, of course, was where Thomas Boyle was a farmer).  For births of later children, Robert Woods & Susan Boyle were at:

- Drutomy, Bailieborough, co Cavan;
- Crocknahatinn, Bailieborough, co Cavan;
- Killinghter, Cootehill;
- Ardee, co Louth.

I have not traced death certificates yet for Robert Woods or Susan Boyle.  But I cannot find them on the 1901 census, so I am guessing that they might be dead by then.  Instead, I have 6 of their children on the 1901 census (but not Samuel) living at Drogheda Street, Collon, co Louth, with the family headed by the eldest brother: Thomas Woods, Episcopalian, 35 years old, Farmer, not married, born co Cavan.

Samuel Woods (son of Robert Woods & Susan Boyle) was born on 12 September 1867 at Drutomy, Bailieborough.  His father was quoted as a farmer resident at Drutomy.  I believe that this is the same Samuel Woods as on the 1911 census at Scarva co Down:
- Samuel Woods, head, Church of Ireland, 42 years, Shopkeeper, married for 5 years, born co Cavan
- Anna Louisa Woods, wife, Church of Ireland, 32 years, married, born co Sligo
- Robert Cecil Woods, son, 4 years, born co Down
- Frances Kathleen Woods, daughter, 10 months, born co Down
- Sarah Bailey, boarder, 30 years, School Teacher, single, born co Sligo
- Alice Crawford, boarder, 20 years, School Teacher, single, born co Fermanagh

The Ulster Towns Directory for 1910 lists Samuel Woods, Grocer, Scarva.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you more specifically with the Boyle side.  I am afraid that my interest follows the Woods!

Regards

David

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 June 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for info.
I think that there could be a chance that my husband's family are related in some way to the Boyle family.

I believe that his  great grandmother  Margaret Rea /  Ray's parents were possibly Mary Jane Boyle and Thomas Rea from the Bailieboro area.  Their marriage is recorded as Thomas Wray & Mary Jane Boyle 20/8/1851 Bailieboro.
Thomas and Mary Jane had a son Samuel 1872.

Our Margaret Rea named one of her sons Samuel who unfortunately died in WW1.

Offline Destoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
Annie Woods was my Great Aunt.
I also remember being taken to visit her sister Emily in Ayr.
I would be happy to share any info I have.
Bob
Woods, Gilliland, Clements, Bowie, Jamieson, Lee Lewis, Bayes, Playford,

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Bob

I am replying to the message which you left yesterday addressed to Ann Morris.

As you will have seen above, I am the great-grandson of Joseph Woods, who was the brother of your grandfather Robert Woods.  I visited your mother a couple of times.  I know that your mother was very interested in our family origins, and I wish that all this information had been available earlier to share with her.

I have posted on this thread most of what I have researched back on the Woods line.  In addition, I have been in contact with some Woods cousins who live in Chicago.  Piecing their information together with my own, I believe that I may have got back another couple of generations beyond Charles Woods to my 4x and 5x Woods great-grandfathers.  A couple of years ago, I went to Dundalk in county Louth to search through the records there in the hope of proving this link, but as yet I do not have definitive evidence.

For the Gillilands, you may be interested in the thread titled "Gilliland Conly Ballybay", which is on the Monaghan forum here (quite far down the list at present, as the last post was in November 2016).  In that thread, you will find most of what I have researched on our Gilliland ancestors and cousins.

Also on the Monaghan forum, you might be interested in the thread titled "Major David Nelson VC" (last post was in April 2016).  From the information so far, I have proved that we are related to families which are related to Major Nelson.  But I am certain that our ancestor Jane Nelson (wife of Joseph Gilliland) will have been from the same family as the Major.  From what I have found, the families of Major Nelson and the other 4 soldiers listed on the war memorial at Cahans Presbyterian Church were all connected to each other and our family too.  I went to the Imperial War Museum in London to see Major Nelson's Victoria Cross, as well as his gun from the battle of Nery.  The centenary of the Major's death is coming up next month.  You will find plenty about him on the internet.

Anyway, I hope this is of some interest to you.  I am happy to share everything that I have found.

Regards

David

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Where is  the war memorial at Cahans Presbyterian Church ?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Might be Roll of Honour rather than a War Memorial?
http://www.eddiesextracts.com/rohpci/rohcahans.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.