Author Topic: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt  (Read 20987 times)

Offline Destoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Woods & Anne Gilliland, Mullantra, Kingscourt
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.
Many thanks for your reply.
My Mother would have loved to learn of all the family info on her side but may have been shocked (as I was) to discover that I had 2 half sisters & 1 half brother on the Clements side!
I'm not too sure how Rootsweb works but if there is any way that we could exchange E-Mails I could give you access to my Ancestry tree and that way we may be able to fill in some gaps.
Thank you so much for your kind reply.
Bob
Woods, Gilliland, Clements, Bowie, Jamieson, Lee Lewis, Bayes, Playford,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.
Many thanks for your reply.
My Mother would have loved to learn of all the family info on her side but may have been shocked (as I was) to discover that I had 2 half sisters & 1 half brother on the Clements side!
I'm not too sure how Rootsweb works but if there is any way that we could exchange E-Mails I could give you access to my Ancestry tree and that way we may be able to fill in some gaps.
Thank you so much for your kind reply.
Bob

You need to make 3 posts...then you can send a Private message to someone!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Party 1 Name   GEORGE WOODS
Party 2 Name   ANN GILLILAND
Date of Event   13 March 1873
Group Registration ID   2807235
SR District/Reg Area   Castleblayney

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11259/8129412.pdf

Offline Destoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.
I don't have any Woods connections to Chicago so that would be very interesting to find out more about.
Bob
PS Hope this counts as my 3rd post :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 March 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
If you click on last icon under his photo you should be able to send private message!

Offline Destoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 March 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark.
I have sent a message.
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Bob

Offline SileBod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 May 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
To Woodsd.   I am a descendant of Robert Woods and Susan Boyle, my mum is their great grand daughter.  A large number of the family moved to Northern Ireland.  Robert Woods and Susan Boyle daughter was alive when I was little and was a vital part of my mother’s upbringing.   We have photos of some of their children and old house in Collin.  delighted to share information to try and join up the dots,
Silebod

Offline SileBod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 May 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
I note Tracey Clarke was asking about Susan Boyle.  I am a descendant of Susan’s and Robert Woods.  Unfortunately I do not have a lot of knowledge about the Boyle but I believe Susan Boyle death certificate is on the 18th of December, 1898 in Colon. 
Her father and brother I believe are both Thomas Boyle, 1798-1875 and 1836 -1912 respectively.  I believe Susan’s mother was called Jane.  Thomas Boyle junior married Elizabeth Simpson 1836-1912.
I believe their is a connection with the wrays and will try and look through my notes to try and find out why I have that in my head.
I would be delighted with any information you can give me and hope this is of some interest.
Silebod

Offline SileBod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 June 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
There was some queries about Samuel in the Woods /Boyle family.  I am descended from Robert Woods and Susan Boyle through their daughter Jane.  My mother vaguely remembers their son Samuel who moved to County Down.  in fact many of the family moved to Belfast.   uncle Charlie appears on the 1911 census in Excise Street, St Anne’s ward, though I believe he later emigrated to Australia.  Aunty Anne moved north too and worked as a district nurse in County Antrim, travelling round on her motorbike.  John James, and Margaret also moved north when my great grandmother and Anne lived in Bainbridge.  Unfortunately they all died young.  John James married a Maud Harper and worked as a chauffeur after previously working with horses but died in a car accident in 1918.
Margaret died in 1911 and Susan moved to Ballyhome near Bangor.
Although we can trace all the aunts we are unclear about all the uncles.  I believe Robert may have worked as a groom and we have two old photos of my great grandmothers brothers in soldiers uniforms but I can find no records of any relevant woods and can not attach names to the photos.
I believe the name Samuel may have come from Their mother Susan Boyle’s brother.  A death certificate is available for a Samuel Boyle in 1882 in Galbolie.  he is recorded as 53 and a watchmaker.  The death was recorded by a John James Armstrong.  Anne Boyle Susan Boyle’s sister married John James Armstrong from Galbolie in 1868.  Showing a connection with this Samuel and my uncle John James. 
I believe Thomas Boyle her brother marries Elizabeth Simpson, who was present at some of Susan’s children’s births.
Other possible siblings are Elizabeth Boyle who married James Nelson in 1856. And Mary Jane Boyle who married Thomas Wray in 1851.  Any confirmation of these or other links would be very gratefully received.
Susan’s parents were Thomas and Jane Boyle.  Does anyone know Jane’s name.
I have a few photos of Robert and Susan’s children I can share with any interested relatives.
relatives of one of Susan’s siblings also travelled north as my mother  went to school with her cousin, but I am yet to pin down the connection though Margarit is the aunts name and we have photos of the family.
Hoping someone can help join the dots and thanks for the suggestion that Samuel might have been a Boyle.  ;) ;)