Author Topic: Newspaper Editor and Writer....Completed.  (Read 7861 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Editor and Writer....
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you yet again, the marriage between Samuel and Jane Elizabeth took place in Ireland, which was all I had on her, (plus them going to Oz with Nathaniel and having 1 child.).

They certainly seem easier to find in Oz than here in Ireland!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 March 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
They certainly seem easier to find in Oz than here in Ireland! DAVE

You know, I think this is true and it would not be the first time I've heard this sentiment.

So it looks as if, we are bereft of records in many ways- census in particular- but very lucky in others. :D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 March 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Well I think people who stayed in Ireland knew the family history, knew where the various grave were, even if unmarked and even to this day just presume everything instead of writing it down.

Luckily my cousin knows where all the graves here are, but even he hasn't made any notes, so if anything happened to him a lot would be lost. When families left Ireland the "chain" was broken. I can go to an old g/yard with very few g/stones as he can tell me the family names of many of these unmarked plots! Now that is history...but it's all in his head at the moment!

If whole family units left, they took this history with them to Oz etc...but seldom wrote anything down on their family history, some passed down their history verbally, others took it all to the grave and is lost forever.

I'm very lucky in that they owned their properties here and thus have Title Deeds etc which documents them. So many left Ireland having owned no property etc and are just so difficult to track down. Nathaniel's books etc make him so much easier to find. Even his Eaglehawk Mining Co share issue was findable. (Thanks to Internet), wouldn't like to have been trying to do this 20 years ago! We think it's frustrating now trying to trace people but we take so much for granted in this information age. At least Australia have documented so many people and it seems so much information is now available for them.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 March 10 23:12 GMT (UK) »
If you know your ancestors' religions, townlands, parishes etc. it should be possible to trace them through parish records.  Gosh I wouldn't be wasting any time in encouraging the cousin to record what he knows.  Perhaps you could interview him and record the information.

I have researched my ancestors in Ireland on the net and have been quite successful.  Of course I received much help from various family history societies/groups.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 March 10 00:17 GMT (UK) »
He is supposed to be working on this, now I'll be meeting him and going around g/yards in summer mapping them. Parish records have only worked back to 1750 era for some of them. Now it's time for physical legwork, filling in the blanks, hence this search for Nathaniel etc, which he probably wouldn't know. His gran and my gran were sisters. My gran married a Hall, his gran married a James, whose daughter married a Hall, but a different Hall line.
So he's doing his line, I'm doing mine plus getting names dates for extended Swan lines, within this is a Swan marrying a Swan, a Swan marrying a Graham whose daughter married a Swan...great fun!

It's all circles within circles within circles, even though I've a pile of different surnames marrying various people in my tree, many are actually cousins when each surname is researched, sometimes 2nd/3rd cousin which would have been missed had I not researched every family. Filling in Nathaniel and his sister Elizabeth etc will actually save time when we meet up, I've over 1200 people on the tree so far and I know for sure it's only the tip of the iceberg, so by the time were finished it will be a history of half the families in Co Monaghan as I've so many more Swans to track down yet.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 March 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Well Stawell sure opened a lot of doors!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 March 10 00:32 GMT (UK) »
A little more
http://www.rootschat.com/links/086b/

I would suggest reading How to shrink links:)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/
Link also at the bottom of each page

Links have been given to the Stawell groups....there may be a fee for research but I would certainly advise contacting them.  My great grandfather was a general practitioner and surgeon in Stawell from 1884 to 1892 and the local history and genealogy groups were most helpful.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 March 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
SWAN, N Walter.
Gazetted 6 May 1864  Victoria  Page 1006
Gazette item sub title heading -  Application for Mining Lease Refused

SWAN, N.W.
Gazetted 12 Feb 1869 at Ararat.  Page 313 
Application for Mining Leases -  Business - Albion Gold Mining Co

SWAN, N W.
Gazetted 16 Apr 1869  Ararat   Page 619
Mining Leases Etc.

SWAN, N W.
Gazetted 14 Jan 1870  Ararat District  Page 43
Mining Leases Declared Void

SWAN, N Walter.
Gazetted 22 Jan 1870  Pleasant Creek [later named Stawell]  Page 187
Private Advertisements - Business - British Empire Quartz Mining Co

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~shsinc/stawell.html

My 2nd great grand uncle was the Government Mining Registrar and Surveyor based at Ararat during 1864 and 1870.

Cando

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 08 March 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

Links shrinkage used from now on...!  ;)