Author Topic: Rachel Unthank of Danby circa 1739  (Read 7228 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel Unthank of Danby circa 1739
« on: Friday 05 March 10 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Rachel Unthank of Danby married Robert Pursglove in Feb 1739- according to the IGI. They were Quakers.

I have found no further sign of this couple until some births and burials in Norfolk from 1746- so no idea when they left Yorkshire.

But I also cannot find any further info on this couple's marriage- and dont know how reliable the IGI entry is. Also- if the marriage was a Quaker marriage, if I can find the actual record, there should be lots more info on the parents of the couple, and other relo's.

Does anyone know anything more about the Unthank Family from Danby??
Or where I might find the actual marriage or more family events?? Have tried The Gen****gist with no success so far- but also only new to site...

Many thanks
Kylie B

Offline Shipwright23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Unthank of Danby circa 1739
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
IGI again

Rachel Unthanke Birth:  07 FEB 1712   Ginsborough,(GUISBOROUGH) Yorkshire
Father:  George Unthanke   
Mother:  Mary Unthanke 

hipwright
Vasey -Hutton Buscel,Whitby
Peart, Whitby Yorks
Leadley,Whitby Yorks
Lound -Rotherham S Yorks, little bytham Lincs
Crouch Rotherham S Yorks, Ramsey Huntingdonshire
Anderson Whitby Yorks
Lofthouse Great Horton Bradford. Grosmont N.yorks
Ripley Whitby, Fylingdales,Grosmont,Aisalby  Yorks

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shipwright
Again the birth looks promising, but I really want to find something that can confirm for me that this is the right woman...which means I need to find the marriage so I can see if parents or other relatives are mentioned.

Because I know Robert Pursglove's parents and siblings, I could then ensure it is the right marriage, and then hope there are relatives of Rachels also mentioned...

Will check out the IGI entry and see if there is a batch number I can check for siblings to this Rachel- that might give me something

Thanks again!
Kylie B

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie,
To search the Quaker registers from the Main page on thegenealogist :
Click on "Research View" in the top left corner.
Then click on "Search" Non Conformist and Non Parochial Records.
Then click on More Options : "Advanced Search".
Then in Surname enter Unthank, or shorten to Unt if you want to see all names beginning with those 3 letters (useful if searching for a name like Pursglove which can be misspelled many ways). 
On Search Within, select "RG6 : Quaker Registers 1578-1841". 
On Search Place type in "Yorkshire" or leave blank if you want to see them all.
Then "Enter".
You will see 5 pages of Unthank/Unthanke Quaker records in Yorkshire, about 120 records, including in the Guisborough records the birth of Rachel Unthanke 1712, daughter of George and Mary.  A lot of the records are not indexed, presumably because they are hard to read,  so it pays to just flick through registers page by page if you are looking for something in particular. There is a marriage of George Unthank of Danby and Mary Shipton of Whitby 2nd Feb 1703, on page 216 of the Guisborough register, RG6 1092, but its not in the index.
I still can't see a Robert Pursglove marriage to a Rachel in the Quaker records though.
The Robert Pursglove and Rachel Unthank marriage took place at Scarborough Anglican Church (Church of England), 16 Feb 1739, according to the FamilySearch England and Wales Marriages database (from Bishops Transcripts). These are extracted records so are pretty reliable. The IGI  extracted records don't cover that date, the marriage record on the IGI is a "Member submitted" entry.
Happy hunting.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 March 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
Thanks very much- I will start to have aplay and see what I can find!

Thanks for the George and Mary marriage- these seems like a plausible little flow- they married in 1703...several children later presumably they had Rachel in 1712....she then married Robert in 1739 (C of E though not Quaker which is odd) and then had their own family and moved to Norfolk.

Do you have any ideas why- given they both appear to come from Quaker families, their marriage might have been C of E?? I dont know much at all bout the Quakers- will have to look into them a little more!

Thanks again!
Kylie

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Kylie,
I've spent a bit of time researching a Quaker family in 18th/19th century Northumberland for another rootschatter and its clear it was a pretty fluid religious movement. There were no priests or vicars, their meetings were more like social clubs and the rules were decided by the members.  If you displeased the members of the club, you were blackballed until you met their acceptance criteria again. eg. if you married a non-Quaker you may be expelled, but they may let you back in again later.
The Anglican Church would not marry a person who had not been baptised, so a good clue to a marriage where the bride or groom was a Quaker was their baptism on the same day, or soon before. The Quakers didn't baptise their children.
You could post a request regarding marriage or baptism records for Robert Pursglove or Rachel Unthank in Scarborough. I don't think Scarborough Anglican records are available on line so it may need a look up by a kind person.  These are very early records so unlikely to record much more info than names and residence.
Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Alan- now I have a whole host of other questions!!

Like- if they did not have priests/vicars- were Quaker marriages legally recognised?
And I have found some baptisms amongst some non conformist records- so in that case they cannot be Quakers, so what religion might they be?

Great idea looking for the anglican baptisms pre marriage for Robert Pursglove and Rachel Unthank...and thinking if their marriage did mean they were blackballed for a time- perhaps that is also where I might find the missing birth/baptism of their first child- Robert born 1741.

Will do some googling, and if no luck- will pos t alook up request and hope some kind soul takes pity on me!
Thanks again!
Kylie

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Kylie,
Quaker marriages were legally recognised. Marriages in Roman Catholic Churches were not recognised until 1837. Quakers didn't do baptisms but other non-conformist like Methodists and Scottish Presbyterians did.
Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Wow- now yu have taught me something I did not know! Fancy that- RC marriages not being recognised til 1837...there you go!

Will google the church names from the other records I have for non-conformists and see who they were.

No luck so far wit googling for the Scarborough record, so think I will make a post and cross my fingers there is someone generous enough to have a look for me!

Seems most likely Rachel Unthank WAS the daughter of George and Mary...but would really like to find something that can confirm it- being pedantic!! Also there seems to be only Mary and a brother Joseph born to the couple, and of course- no sign of a marriage as yet for George and Mary!

Kylie B