Author Topic: Nevin / Blackrock  (Read 16491 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nevin / Blackrock
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Do you know any other first/middle names for Sophia ?

I cant find anything promising for her birth - just wondering if she may have used a middle name later in life, and was registered originally under another first name..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Yes.  That is our grandfather.   I have written to Ireland for his birth certificate.   Sylvia

I think the civil birth cert will show much  the same details as the baptism records mentioned earlier. Although they do include the name of the informant to the registrar (usually the mother or father), and may include a slightly more detailed address.

see : Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sylvia Gamboa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shane.   The only other info I have on Sophia Hodges is that she married Louis Orduna in 1908 after arriving in the US and evidently settled in New Orleans, Louisiana.  She is in the US census records for 1910 (Chicago, Illinois), 1920 (New Orleans, Louisiana), and 1930 (New Orleans, LA).  She arrived in the US in 1905 on the ship Furnessia.  Maybe Shirley has more info on Sophia. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
Do you think Sophia was still in Ireland or England for the 1901
census ?

If I can find her on that, it may give a county of birth for her.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 August 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
see attached - a cut down version of the Hodges family tree showing the spouses and primary descendants through Amelia and Robert.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Sylvia Gamboa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Wow!  It's so good to see the chart that you made.  I do think Sophia may have been in Ireland for the 1901 census because records indicate she came to the US in 1905.  There is an error on one of my earlier posts.  Sophia married Albert Orduna, not Louis Orduna. 

I'm curious about a date in the chart for Samuel Hodges (husband of Catherine Nevin).  I have a copy of the registration of the death of Samuel Hodges from the  "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"  (registration quarter and year Oct-Dec 1884)  His "estimated birth year" is 1794 and the death year is 1884.  Is the estimated birth year wrong?  My information came from FamilySearch.org. 

Questions that remain about my g grandfather Robert are:   When did he marry Johanna Carroll? and When did he die?   Many thanks for your efforts...

Sylvia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 August 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
I believe the age on Samuel's death cert is incorrect - it has age 90, when in fact he was 80. The informant is Catherine (she was a nurse), but was quite young when she married him (at the time she was about 16, he was 50) .. so I think possibly she over estimated his age a little when she was registering his death.

His seaman's ticket record (BT33 in the National Archives Kew) confirms his year of birth as 1804. The address on this record matches up perfectly with his coastguard posting at that date (1847) on the ADM175 records i.e. Dalkey station (South Co. Dublin).

I thought I had a photo of Catherine somewhere, but cannot locate it ..  attached is a photo of Amelia Cathcart (nee Hodges), with my dad on her knee. (photo c1932)

No sign that I see of Sophia, Johanna or Samuel on the Irish 1901 census - I'll try the English one tomorrow just in case..

Still no luck with anything for Robert... no sign of any promising marriage or death yet. I assume his name has been mis-transcribed in some way ..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 August 10 02:55 BST (UK) »
This is the best info I have on SOPHIE HODGES (first name spelled Sophia on ship's passenger list & Ellis Island records. Family children always referred to her as Aunt Sophie.
      Port of Departure:  Londonderry,  Dec. 25, 1904
      Ship:   S.S. Furnessia
      Port of Entry:   Ellis Island, Port of New York,  Jan. 5, 1905
      Age on ship's records:   19 years  (estimated year of birth, 1885)
      Last Residence listed on Ship's record:   Dublin
      Occupation:  servant (In 1901 census she may have resided in someone else's home.)
      Final Destination to be:   New Orleans, LA, her mother's home
      Passage paid by her mother:  Mrs. Louis Brandt (Johanna Carroll Hodges Brandt). This was her first trip to U.S.
      She married Albert Orduna a native of Vera Cruz, Mexico, and had 3 children. She was widowed and died circa the 1940's in New Orleans, I believe.
JOHANNA CARROLL HODGES: Her obituary gives in following:
      Died on April 16, 1932 at the age of 70 in New Orleans. Based on this I assume her date of birth to be between 1861 and 1863. Her age in the 1920 U.S. census is given as 57 with an immigration date of 1914. But I do not think the date of immigration can be right due to her marriage record to Louis Brandt in 1902.. We are uncertain of the date of her arrival in the U.S., but we think she may be the Johanna Hodges who arrived in New Orleans on Sept. 2, 1891. She did remarry. There's a record of her marriage to Louis Brandt on Sept. 24, 1902. This Johanna Hodges alsoshe sailed on the Furnessia  and her familiarity with this ship may have been the reason she booked passage for her daughter on the same ship. She may have entered the country through Castle Garden (New York) and then traveled on to New Orleans. We do not know what she did between her arrival and her marriage to Louis Brandt. We do not believe she worked outside the home after marrying Louis Brandt. He owned a business in the city and they lived very comfortably in a very nice part of town. Sylvia found another Johanna Carroll entry, leaving us to wonder if she made more than one trip to U.S.

SAMUEL NEVIN hODGES: We are not certain of his exact year of immgration. We have seen 1910 and 1916. Since he was a marinere and we know that he sailed for the United Fruit Company during the WWI he no doubt sailed in and out of the Port of New Orleans on more than one oaccasion. He married Margaret Anne McCann from Enniskillen, Ireland in New Orleans on Nov. 20, 1916. We think she may have been the Margaret Anne McCann who traveled to New Orleans in March 13, 1916 to marry him. I believe they were acquainted in Ireland.  And I think she may have sailed out of the Cork area.We are in early stages of researching her family. We know she had a brother Jack. Samuel Nevin became a naturalized citizen on June 20, 1922 in New Orleans.
Samuel and Margaret had 3 sons, Louis Nevin (Sylvia's father), Samuel F., and Patrick (Shirley's father). Margaret died in childbirth on September, 1922, giving birth to another son Robert, who also died.

Please forgive the long response to your questions. Hope this helps.

Shirley

Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 August 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
many thanks for the additional information..   It's good to know more about the family, and these additional clues could help with the search.

You are the first actual connection I've made with the Hodges line which is great. I have details of marriages for two sisters of Amelia & Robert, but have not located any current descendants for them.

Susan (born 1873) married Charles Niblock in Dublin. Their children include Douglas and Norman.
Elizabeth (1868) married Duncan Murphy, also in Dublin. He was assistant harbour master in Ardrossan in Scotland. One of their children Hilda Catherine is listed on the 1911 census as a visitor to the Cathcart household.

Catherine Hodges (nee Nevin) is listed on the 1901 census (as Kate) with Robert & Amelia and an extended Cathcart family see - Cathcart family, Northbrook Avenue, Dublin

Shane
My Surname Interests