Author Topic: Edwards Pandy bryn y parcyt Llangernyw  (Read 14024 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards Pandy bryn y parcyt Llangernyw
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »

Hi Trot,

Rol
How or where would i find that info?

To see the National Library of Wales Journal article,  I think you would need to visit a library that has a physical copy -- the Welsh Journals Online project (part sponsored by the NLW) have the NLWJ on their planned digitisation list but they seem to be making only slow progress;  and there does not appear to be even partial availability via Google Books.  So a free read on the internet would only be a possibility if you have sponsored access to a subscription service (e.g. one of those the NLW lets you use if you have a library card).  Worth ringing your nearest main county reference library to ask;  or you could have a photocopy made and sent to you,  to save the journey.  In any event,  although Cledwyn Fychan's piece is very interesting background material,  it will give you nothing of direct relevance to the family renting Pandy Bryn y Barcut,  beyond the key clue and references about the Chancery depositions (as already posted).

To see the original witness depositions in the Garthewin papers you would realistically need to make the trip to Bangor and look through the documents in person.  The staff are very helpful there (anyway certainly were when Tomos Roberts was in charge),  but it would probably be pushing your luck to ask them to scan through on your behalf looking for references to the Pandy tenants;  and ordering full copy sets would be quite a gamble -- and probably a pretty expensive one.

Here are a couple of web-links:

1.  The visitor info screen for Bangor University Library's Archives Dept. --
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/archives/visitor.php.en?menu=2&catid=3587&subid=0

2.  Description of the Garthewin collection on the Archives Wales site -- http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?coll_id=10531&inst_id=39&term=Garthewin  [If this later becomes a dead temporary search address,  you should get to the same place by using their main search screen ( http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/advanced_search.php ) and tapping Garthewin into the search line and selecting Bangor University from the "repository" drop-down menu.]

If I were you I would not want to make a special one-purpose trip to Bangor to try my luck with the thrills,  spills and "local colour" that might turn up in a law suit,  unless I was fairly confident that the family really were living at or very near Pandy Bryn y Barcut prior to the last quarter of the 18th c.  (Of course,  if you have a reason for being at Bangor anyway,  no harm in giving it a whirl "blind" . . . ).

From your posts to date I am not quite sure what the nature and reliability is of the very earliest evidence you possess to connect the Edwardses with the fulling mill in the 1700s.  I know you are hoping someone on RootsChat can help by hunting out some PR entries for you,  presumably events at either Llangerniw or Llanfair Talhaearn (sorry -- no easy access to those CFHS transcripts myself);  but I suspect that it would assist such potential helpers if you could be a bit more specific about the oldest sources you have already found.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline trot30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
i have some documents and books in my collection that have been passed down through the generations and all referals date back to Pandy Bryn y Barcyt. (Pandy Bryn y Barcut is not the same place as Bryn y Barcut they are two different houses) not far from each other.

The family bible also dates back to there as Edward 1768 was my great x? grandfather (cant remember how many times at the moment) and its his bible we have with his children in but no mention of brothers/sisters in there.

We have also been to the church in Llangernyw looking through the parish records and found them there. We also spoke to a local historian that knew that they were there, but sadly he died before we got to see his collection of info.

The Robert Edwards gravestone is Edward 's son that stayed in the house, all the other children went to work in other Pandy's around (as they went to help out the rest of the family ) but i dont know where they went,  and i dont know where Robert (the father went from Pandy Bryn y barcut

Llanfor, Llandderfel, Llanycil, Llangywer, Llanuwchllyn, Cefnddwysarn.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 10 03:06 GMT (UK) »

i have some documents and books in my collection that have been passed down through the generations and all referals date back to Pandy Bryn y Barcyt ... The family bible also dates back to there as Edward 1768 was my great x? grandfather ... and its his bible we have with his children in ...

You are very fortunate in still having those old papers,  Trot -- so many families these days have nothing like that to guide them when they embark on research.

We have also been to the church in Llangernyw looking through the parish records and found them there

That sounds like good firm evidence on which to build.  I take it that the parish records concerned were baptisms,  marriages and burials (though correct me if I have that wrong or incomplete).

I quite understand that you will not wish to post excessive detail here.  But I am sure that it would help others to help you if you could share the wording of the earliest few of those PR entries you noted down,  so people can see the naming styles used (quasi-patronymics?) and the place-names and occupations mentioned (if any) in the registers.  It all helps set the context,  and avoids others fearing that they may be expending their time and effort re-inventing what you already know.  And the same point applies to the information contained in those first entries in the family bible and the oldest of the other documents you have.

A great pity about that local historian who knew about the Edwards family's links to the pandy,  and died before he could pass on fuller information.  It is a very sad thing if that sort of knowledge goes to the grave with someone.  I suppose that later on you did try and see if the surviving children or other relatives could tell you whether any of his notes survived the proverbial "executors' bonfire"(?)

Pandy Bryn y Barcut is not the same place as Bryn y Barcut they are two different houses) not far from each other.

Don't worry,  I doubt that anyone has been under any misapprehension about that.  I think the point of keeping tabs on both houses is that they were in close proximity and from time immemorial in common ownership (see the deed cited in Reply 1).  So if an old document about Bryn y Barcut can be traced,  there is a fighting chance that it might also shed some light on the pandy and its occupiers.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline trot30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 March 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
1851 census township of Petrual page 7 Places Robert Edwards 1775- in Pandy at the time 

Wps now ammended date!!
Llanfor, Llandderfel, Llanycil, Llangywer, Llanuwchllyn, Cefnddwysarn.

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 10 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me which source you are using for the last record pls?

I have tried a couple of websites but haven't been able to find the record of Robert Edwards b 1737 in 1851 Wales cen
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat