Author Topic: CIRCUS Look up - George Beard  (Read 2301 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CIRCUS Look up - George Beard
« on: Saturday 06 March 10 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Oral family history states my grandfather, George BEARD was a trapeeze artist in the circus. He was born in Swansea in 1885 and although I located him on the 1891 census as a child, no success finding him on 1901 or 1911 census returns.

I do know he was in Swansea in 1916 as have a marriage certificate for him - this first wife died in 1926 and George married again in 1930 - that marraige certificate palces him in Swansea again.  I also know he enlisted in 1918, in Cardiff with home address given in Swansea where his first wife Elizabeth lived. His 1916 marriage certificate indicates he is now employed as a dock worker so I can only guess that the period invovled for his circus life, would be before 1916 when he married.

I'd be grateful for any leads anyone might be able to uncover based on such very sketchy details.

Cheers....
Lynda NZ
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Re: CIRCUS Look up - George Beard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Might not be much but if George parents were  David & Elizabeth ? from 1891 Census
I found his brothers & possibly his  mother

David H Beard - b 1882  in 1901
Class: RG13; Piece: 5073; Folio: 64; Page: 22. St john  Swansea Glamorgan
Boarder/Lodger

William J Beard  - b 1884 Llangyfelach Swansea Glamorgan
RG13; Piece: 5072; Folio: 128; Page: 19.

Elizabeth Beard b 1860 -  Ystradyfodwg Glamorgan- wiodwed says sister in law to Amos & Mary Ford
Class: RG13; Piece: 5012; Folio: 22; Page: 36.

Could be his father : David Beard
b 1857 -died 1899 Jan/Feb/Mar Swansea 11a 518 -aged 42

---------------------------
 Only census in 1901 that shows a George abt 1886 under surname Broad ?

Cardiff Glamorgan
RG13; Piece: 4971; Folio: 121; Page: 14.

1911 for George -  Swansea  in lodgings
RG14PN32738 RG78PN1869 RD594 SD2 ED1 SN469

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks for those leads Tiggi -- George's parents are indeed David and Elizabeth :-) I also know his dad died 'before the turn of the century' so that looks very promising......  I'll take a look tonight when I come home from work and follow them up.  'Broad' -- no wonder I wasn't having any success! lolll.....

Cheers....
Lynda
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:41 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right and that the 1911 is my grandad George with a misspelled surname - the return was completed by the lodging house proprietor and I would be comfortable with the thought that they have misspelled his surname. Grandad spent a lot of his working life at the Dockyards and on checkign a map, the lodging house is well within very easy walking distance so unless anything esle comes to light to disprive this theory, I'm going to run with this as his whereabouts for 1911.

The 1901 is definately not him though :-( as it's an entire family of Boards on that return, none of whom match anyone in the family plus, it's only Grandad George who is unaccounted for in 1901.

It is the rest of this family on the 1891 census so that tidies that up thanks.

Having read throught the known issues with the 1901 census though, it coul dbe just my luck that my Grandad was residing in one of the areas where the census records didn't survive so I might never find him  :'(

(I can't quite make out if there was a different type of census offered to 'travellers' such as circus folk or not so perhaps someone else has an idea of where else I could look or where else to check?)

Cheers... Lynda

Father's side:

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 04:50 BST (UK) »
UPDATE: I located a newspaper article [July 1909] which matched George with Sanger's Circus who were in Warrington at that time.

Father's side:

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 02:49 BST (UK) »
@Tiggi ... Do you by any chance have any records pertaining to Sanger's Circus as it appears George was involved with them - at least during 1909 for certain so possibly earlier and later perhaps.

Cheers
Lynda

Father's side:

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 04:06 BST (UK) »

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 04:44 BST (UK) »
oh goodness!  No -- I hadn't seen these Maddys52 -- thanks for the heads up :-)

They're amazing photos! 

Unable to tell in my granddad is in them without having the years noted unfortunately - I can't see anyone who resembles him but he would have been late teens/early 20's and the only photo of him in existence, is when he's in his late 50's.

They will add flavour to his story though so that's a bonus :-).

Thanks again for that link....

Cheers
Lynda

Father's side: