Author Topic: Needham Market Independent Congregational - Samuel Fox (1773-1846)  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Needham Market Independent Congregational - Samuel Fox (1773-1846)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Independant/Congregational Meeting House first erected abt 1716. Present building 'Christchurch' on same site; foundation stone is dated 1837.
It wasn't until after the Burial Act 1853 that towns & villages established their own cemeteries so it's more than likely Samuel was buried in the church grounds as recorded on the NBI.
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline dennisrichards49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pat for the contact details & Hephzibah for your help - seems that I have Samuel Fox's death & burial pretty well pinned down now.
My big task now is to try and find evidence for his birth (about 1773) and his marriage (to Amy Gibbons) around 1805. Unfortunately IGI has no relevant entries (incidentally do you know why Suffolk entries don't appear to be well represented on IGI?).
If you have any suggestions on how to proceed with this research into Samuel Fox I would appreciate it.
Thanks again
Dennis

Offline Andy Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 April 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Please can you help me identify someone who died in Needham Market on 16 June 1838.  She has no identifiable name on her death record (1) but it does say she was Independent Congregational.
She is the last of my Grandparents' Grandparents' Grandparents on one side to be identified; any help or local background info gratefully received. 

Her husband was Richard Brook (2) who was a master shoe maker / boot maker living in High Street, Needham (Market).  He was 51 when the 1851 census was taken. 
From the 1841 census on Findmypast, they had 7 living children:
first- Richard Cooper Brook(e) 1826: shoemaker also, and post master for 40 years. 
to last - Ketarah (Keturah) 1838. 

I've worked through all of her children using familysearch, findmypast and google.

PS. I'm getting confused with their residence when there's: parish or township, town, and registration district.

(1) https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1841%2f00019410 - accessed from public library 13 April 2018
(2) record variations: Richd Brooke, also Needham Market is sometimes just called Needham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
The youngest child of Richard was Keturah Brooke birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1837 Bosmere - GRO's index show mmn Cooper.

A Richard Brooke married Sally Cooper 18/2/1823 Creeting St. Peter, Suffolk

Although you say the burial of 'wife' Brooke in 1838 N.M. your link actually shows as 1839.   Whichever, there are no recorded death entries in 1838 or 1839 under Brook/Brooke for someone likely to have been Richard's wife (only 3 Brook - Clara 1, Mary 0 and Sarah 77 and no Brooke so looked like her death wasn't registered for some reason).

Then tried again and found Sally Broke (June qtr.1839 Bosmere) and clearly this must is her.  GRO's own index shows that she was aged 44.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 April 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette, my rapid-response genealogist.  That's me completed all of my Grandma's ancestors up to 4 generations before her.  She'll be pleased; she'll be 98 this year.     

Sally Cooper makes sense: Sally and Richard Senior's first son was Richard Cooper Brooke.  Thanks again, Andy.