Author Topic: Spittal village, nr Solva pre 1900  (Read 9399 times)

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spittal village, nr Solva pre 1900
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello AmeliandElsie,

many thanks for your message, it is most welcome. 
Our Bateman Family research is ongoing and therefore it would be kind of you to add to the history.

In 1940+ Alan D Kirkby as a small boy had been evacuated from S E London and placed in the care of the Bateman's at the Mill. He was looked after on a day to day basis by their daughter Margaret (Maggie). He returned to his family home after the end of WW2 1945.
He had attended Spittal village school.
 His siblings, sister Olive and brother Edwin David) were also billeted with local families.  Their mother, Alice Kirkby had worked at the Royal Naval Depot, Trecwn, nr Fishguard.

I shall look forward to your reply.
JeanM

Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline AmeliaandElsie10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm sorry but I'm not sure I'm much help. Are you sure he was looked after by Batemans? My grandmothers mother Clara died 1912 after being thrown from a carriage whilst pregnant. Elliot then married the housemaid Elsie. My grandmother married in 1924 & moved to farm in Doleron farm Clarbeston. Her father & Elsie together with my grandmothers youngest brother Colwyn emigrated to Canada 1926 & remained in Canada. My grandmother went to Canada for a few years but returned to Clarbeston my father was the youngest of her 12 children. I'm not sure what happened to Spittal mill after Elliot & Elsie went to Canada. I will contact my Aunty & ask if she knows.

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 February 15 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for your reply.  Additions from your Aunt would be appreciated.
The Census for 1911 (RG14 PN33259 ) Spittal Mill shows all the family.

We have made a visit Spittal village and to The Mill, and quite positive it is the home.
The current owners knew the family and
made us most welcome.

Jean M

Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline AmeliaandElsie10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I spoke with my Aunty, she said Maggie was the daughter of Willie Bateman whom was Elliot's brother. Apparently she was a tad eccentric remained a spinster but used drive a large motorbike & side car! Sadly she passed away sometime in the early seventies after contracting pneumonia. She had a brother who did marry & moved possibly to the Milford Haven area, I don't have any details of him. My Aunty Bronwyn was quite close to Maggie but sadly she passed away a couple of years ago. Willie did farm at the Croft but  must of taken on Spittal Mill, as prior  to my great grandfather emigrating to Canada he took the lease of the Noltons farm Spittal (now ruinous) this was where Clara was raised by her aunt Martha Jenkins. I'm sorry I have not been of much assistance, my knowledge of Batemans prior to this time.

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, that's splendid news with many significant additions for us.  Most grateful to and your Aunty for the help received.  The present owner of the Mill has been working away to restore to full eorking order the heavy engineering.

We were sad that life was hard going for the family.  He was able to tell us that Maggie was buried at Zion's Hill chapel/cemetery. Her brother was possibly David/Glynn, I will try to check this and let you know.

The farming and daily life for the early settlers in Canada must have needed considerable guts and determination.

The original School on the vilage green at Spittal has been sold and refurbished and a available as a self catering accommodation.
Regards Jean M

Offline vernann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 July 22 00:16 BST (UK) »
I realize that this is a very late reply to the original post but I am wondering if anyone can give me directions to where Spittal Mill is located?  We will be going to Wales in September and my 3rd great grandmother showed her abode as Spittal Mill on her 1848 marriage record.  I have tried Google Maps and haven't been able to locate it.  Thank you for any assistance.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 July 22 18:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

1851 census shows Spittal Mill with William Lewis as miller.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXM-7WD

The 2 previous addresses are Golden Hill and the one before that Bridge End Inn and the one after the mill is Penrhiw. So here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rq0/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rq1/ - zoom in and you can see The Mill between Golden Hill & Mill Bridge and above Penrhiw.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 July 22 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hello searchers,

The postcode found for Spittal Mill is SA62 4BB.
The KING family when we  visited were undertaking
 a major restoration project.

During WW2 William BATEMAN miller/farmer and Maggie
daughter were residents.
A group children from South East London evacuees
were placed for duration 1939-1945.   Bateman’s
hosted one of the young boys who attended school in the village.
Be pleased to hear from you
Jean M

Offline vernann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 July 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your replies!  We are looking forward to our trip and spending time trying to find my ancestor's homes.