Author Topic: Robert and Charles MANFIELD/MANSFIELD  (Read 7799 times)

Offline berniebruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Charles MANFIELD/MANSFIELD
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip,

I am also a great grandson of Robert and Catherine Mansfield.
There were two Robert Mansfields in WA at the same time,one(not our
great grandfather)was involved in a murder with his brother and cousins in the UK.
There are references to trouble with the police in WA by the same man.

You mentioned the Horrigans and the DeMamiels,names which I remember from my childhood,
so we are talking about the same couple.

I would be interested in any information you may be willing to share.  Thanks,Bernie

Offline Gargoyle45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernie

My first attempt was not so successful at replying the PDF was to large.
Yes I am Robert Philip Horrigan so named after great grandy Mansfield, my grandmother was Priscilla Josephine Mansfield who married Michael John Horrigan.
I see you already have quite a bit on Robert,  and for myself i have a large database on the family and extended family created in the Complete Genealogy Builder. The file i tried to send is a potted history of the Horrigans.
i think i found a work around

Offline berniebruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip,

I believe there is a mistake in the email address you have given.
Would you kindly have a look and re send it.
Thanks,Bernie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

Now that you have made three posts, you should be able to access the Private Message facilities.

Welcome !

You can find the  PM system easily, just look under each other's avatar, and hover over the symbols ... the scroll is the one you need.  Click on it.   :) and let your fingers do your talking.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gargoyle45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 06:19 BST (UK) »
a case of more speed less Haste, sorry Bernie

Offline Manno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles MANFIELD v Robert Manfield v Robert MANSFIELD
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've just seen this thread from a while back.

My records show that Robert Manfield (no 's') from Nailsea, b 1833 admission to Wilton Gaol 31 Mar 1849 age 16, died in Somerset (Chard) in 1890 and was never transported to Australia.

He is therefore not the Robert Mansfield also from Somerset, but from Chedder, who was transported to Fremantle in 1851 aboard the Minden as one of the 30 Parkhurst Boys who had been at the Parkhurst Reformatory.

I hope this helps.

Offline Manno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Manfield v Robert MANSFIELD
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Our records show Robert Mansfield married to Catherine Cunningham in WA was from Chedder, his mother Jane first died and then his father William. He had a step mother Hannah with children to support.

I hope this helps.

Offline Manno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert MANFIELD v Robert MANSFIELD
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for following the instructions below:

DO NOT COPY PASTE ANY OF MY POSTS TO ANY OTHER FORUM. I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR ANY OF MY POSTS TO BE SHARED WITH OTHER FORUMS.
 Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.     
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk         
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes

Offline Daco

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 September 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Manfield from Nailsea was admitted to Wilton Gaol on 31 Mar 1849 having been sentenced on 27 Mar 1849.  A Robert Manfield died in Chard district in 1890 registration details Jun 1890 Chard 5c289. Chard is a registration district which covers a number of parishes including Stocklinch, Somerset. Look at the Stocklinch burial register there is a Robert Mansfield buried on 16 June 1890 age 57. It often happens that an ‘s’ is or is not included in the surname for the same person. So how do we establish his place of birth. The census before 1890 was in 1881 and there is Robert Mansfield living with wife Jane at Stocklinch age 47. This Robert was born at Luppitt in Devon just 15 miles from Stocklinch. The 1891 census shows Jane as a widow, so the Robert Man(s)field who died in 1890 is not the Robert Manfield from Nailsea.
The Robert Mansfield from Cheddar was baptised on 26 Dec 1828 parents William and Jane. The Robert Mansfield transported to Freemantle was born in 1833 according to the Freemantle record and so could not be the same Robert Mansfield born in Cheddar. There is a burial record for a Robert Mansfield aged 14 at Cannington, 16 miles from Cheddar on 10 Feb 1843, so this likely to be the Robert from Cheddar.
Robert Mansfield arrived in Australia on 14 Oct 1851. His Freemantle record shows he was sentenced on 27 March 1849 the same date that Robert Manfield was sentenced. There was a 2 year delay before Robert was sent to Australia and Robert served 5 more years in Australia to complete his sentence. The Robert Manfield from Nailsea and the Robert Mansfield that arrived in Australia are the same person.