Author Topic: Brown Family ,Quernmoor methodist Chapel MI look up  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Plumbob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Family ,Quernmoor methodist Chapel MI look up
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 March 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara , I really appreciate the information regarding the transcriptions from Quernmore Methodist MI Book , It is also very kind of you to take the time to assist me .
Although I can't place them on our tree at the moment, with the information I can try again to find Margaret on the census and also look for her marriage to John. It is quit possible that Brown was not her maiden name.

Re the Brown's you found in  Dolphinholme they are not ours , David Brown was born in Orton Westmorland baptised 8 Sep 1822 son of Edmund Brown and Elizabeth ,Married Ann Law 1867 in Sedbergh.

Cheers
Plumbob

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Plumbob,

Happy to say, I found a short piece about Richard Brown in the Lancaster Guardian. Also the librarian passed me your email address so I'll scan the printout and send it to you.  However I'm replying here as well because

a) I have a new laptop and not sure it's talking to the printer yet, so might take a while to scan

b) I'm showing off because I found it  ;D

Here it is in full as it's a touching piece and might interest others:

Lancaster Guardian, 4th July 1855, page 5:

"Wm. Brown, a sawyer employed by the Canal Company, received a letter a few days ago announcing the death, by cholera, on the 25th ult., of his son Richard, who enlisted in Lancaster into the 55th Regiment, a few years ago.  the intelligence is communicated by Lance Sergeant William Spencer of the 55th, who feelingly alludes to his decease. He says 'On the evening he was taken ill I was taking a walk through the camp, and as soon as I came back I was very much surprised to hear that he was in the hospital, very bad with the cholera, as just before I left the tent I had spoken to him.  Our regiment has lost a number of men lately by cholera. What with the war and sickness, us fellows has enough to do.  One day last week we was expecting to have an engagement with the enemy, and your son was saying in the event of anything should happen to him, we should find your directions in his Testament. So you see what a curious place this is to be in, as we do not know our last minute... your son is entitled to a medal and some clasps, so you will have to apply to the War Office, for he was present all through the engagements, excepting at Balaklava,' etc"

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plumbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara , "Eureka" Your a star ,thank you so much,
It was sad that he died from cholera aged 31 but at that time infection fighting agents had yet to be invented, it was almost 100 years before Fleming invented penicillin,mind you, during the crimean war Florence Nightingale was active nursing the military boys ,so who knows!
Just as a mater of fact we knew William was a sawyer during his days in Dent before moving
His family to lancaster firstly living in back Marton St and then St Thomas Square,

Cheers
Plumbob:)

Offline Plumbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again BarbaraH

Just wanted to share this reply I had about your find
From my cousin in NZ What an exciting find!!!! My farther was right then, I can now go with this information to my surviving  Brown cusins and probe further ,Thank you so very much for this information.
Brett NZ.

and thanks again from me.
 Plumbob.

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 March 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I'm the cousin in New Zealand, and I am indeed very grateful for your kindness in looking up this report in the Lancaster Guardian for us.  If you're interested, you can read about what little I knew about the Crimean War medals in the BROWN family in an article I wrote here:
http://photo-sleuth.blogspot.com/2009/09/jabez-brown-1843-1921-railway-clerk-of.html

As you can see, it's a mystery which is now a long way to being solved, and perhaps one day we will discover what happened to the medals themselves.

Regards and best wishes, Brett

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 March 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brett, what a great article that is, I'm so glad there was something in the Guardian to be found.   :D

Old maps of Lancaster on Genuki shows a timber yard and a sawmill near the Lancaster addresses you have. Its not clear on the 1845 map but the 1890 one shows the timber yard right next to the canal.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Lancaster/     look at the North East map for 1890 - timber yard off Nelson Street with the Canal to the right.

I wonder if father William and son Jabez worked for the same company at one time as sawyer and clerk; local history book says that the Lancaster Canal Company were involved in the running of the local railway in its early days before the Midland took it over.

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, Barbara.  The maps are very interesting, particularly when one compares them with current day aerial photos from Google Earth with reference back to the census records.

It is quite possible that Jabez Brown (1843-1921) started off working for the Canal Company, I suppose.  I haven't quite got to the nub of that question yet, and perhaps never will, although as time goes on, more and more solutions do surface to questions that I never thought would be answered.

Regards, Brett