Author Topic: MAJOR STEWART, NORTH CAROLINA  (Read 1031 times)

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • I will get to the bottom of this!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
MAJOR STEWART, NORTH CAROLINA
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a major stewart on the 1891 census in atherton, lancashire england born abt 1865 in north carolina. i am stumped as where to go from there as i can't find him on another census in england. he was rumoured to have come to england with his parents who were with a dance troupe aged approx 6 yrs old.
he was of either jamaican or african decent.
plz help!!!!!
Stewart, Barlow, Booth, Cooke, Daniels, Thornhill

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: MAJOR STEWART, NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kazzy77.

Wecome to Rootschat.

The UK Incoming Passenger Lists don't start until 1878, so if Major arrived at age 6 years (approx 1871), he won't show up on those.

The 1870 census for Major Stewart. North Carolina produces a 1861 birth - race Mulatto or a Charles M Stewart born 1865 race:- Mulatto. Apart from those no more alternatives that I can see  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Magor Stewart with an Emma Daniels on the same page March 1/4 1890 Leigh vol 8c page 316. Magor is also entered as Margor. I'd say this is a good candidate for your Major Stewart.  Hopefully his father will be named on the certificate.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The marriage cert appears on anc..try - as far as I can see, it does'nt name the parents.

There is also a private tree listed with the same name.  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
hi there
thankyou for those. its a bit of a tall order with very little to go on haha.
from what i understand he was of mixed race but not totally sure of what mix. so the 'mulatto' part is possible.
the marriage that you found is the one i have which doesn't state his fathers name on the certificate. i know more about his wife emma daniels as she had an active part in my grandfathers life but her husband major (my grandfathers father) disappeared before he was born and my grandfather was told that he'd died. i can't find any deaths that match to him in england and wales (where he was supposed to have died). we know very little about him as my great grandmother wouldn't talk about him that much

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
I am now a few years down the line and still no further along. My uncle has a researcher looking into it for him from family search and they go and message me for information! ::)
I am in discussions at the moment with my mum as to whether we should try the DNA route. After searching through passenger lists, births marriages and deaths, newspapers, census etc etc it seems it may be the only route we haven't gone down :-\

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
The 1870 US census has him entered as - B (Black) in the 'Colour' column and age 3 so born c 1867.

There is a Major Stewart age 13 in the 1880 US census Race M, adopted child of Perry Milliam(?) 41  and his wife ? Missario(?) 48, no first name. Major is working on his adoptive father's farm. Major's father's birth place North Carolina, mother's birth place Virginia
James 11 and Eliza Scott 18, are also in the household as grandsons to Perry's wife and  in the 1870 census I looked on the previous page to see whose household the 3 year old Magor may have been living with, and there is a Susane Scot 40 and a Delia Scot 15, Race Black, both farm hands

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
I have those 2 US census records which do look like they are likely to be him.I look at them from time to time to see if I've missed anything. I am just frustrated that we still don't have a place or time of death as my grandad was never able to visit his fathers grave and it would be good to know what really became of him.