Author Topic: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?  (Read 18246 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »

she was certain it was called the duke of wellington. Sarah  ;D
:D good at least I don't look like a complete idiot... ::) I hope that it is still there, but renamed...so that you can actually see it. Heritage buildings are kept up for a long time in U.K. Here in Canada they either were not built to last, or were considered replaceable compared to the property value....we now have some heritage laws, but too late for some of them.

Here's some timeline trivia from 1830 which would have prompted the naming of many pubs....
The (Duke of Wellington's) Beer Act encourages the opening of Beer Houses
(in an attempt to reduce consumption of gin ;D )

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Sarah & J.J. Thanks for your help again. Sarah please thank your Nain too. With her info and the suggestion hiraeth made to walk the census in the order of addresses listed, I might be able to at least locate where it was. If you are happy to do so, ask her if she remembers the Old Tavern (Hen Dafarn) in Llanerchymor. My Dad was born there.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I've looked carefully at my original (1870s) OS map and found 4 public houses and 2 breweries in and around Bagillt, but not the Wellington. I'd guess that for an industrial town there would have been many more than that.

Can you give details of your Grandparents so that I can find them in the census. I'll then try to locate some of the adjacent properties. I've had some success in the past with rural properties but haven't tried it in an urban area, but it's worth a try.

Tecwyn :)
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
She will remember the place in Llanerchymor as that is where she was born! Her grandparents lived next to (or next but one) to the chapel, is that the pub opposite the ship market and Abercan (prob spelt that wrong)
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you did spell it incorrectly, but being Welsh, I prefer your version to the correct one - Abakan

:P :P

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 March 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Sarah. Your Nain must have known my Dad then - William Davies born 1914. His sister Edie took the pub over after their Mum died.

Taidgazacaz. My great-grandfather William Barnett died in 1900 and my Nain remarried so in the 1901 census she was married to Isaac Hughes and they lived at the Wellington Inn with Sarah's daughter (my Nain) Edith Mary Barnett. Thanks for your help.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thought you might like to see this it is 5 Glan y Morfa Llanerchymor (the one with the car outside), it used to be on the same side as the ship market but a little bit after the ship towards greenfield. Did your dad have any older siblings as my Nain youngest uncle was born in 1903 he was called Samuel (Sammy Jones) he did have other siblings too.

Sarah
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I found a Baptist chapel on the old map, but it's not clear as to its precise location. More accurately, I found Sandy Lane farm. Both of these appear to be close to the Wellington in the census.

On Google maps I find Sandy Lane and what looks like a farm in the satellite view. Unfortunately, when I compare this modern satellite view map with the old OS map, it's clear that there have been massive changes in the meantime.

My best guess is that the Wellington is, or was, on the High Street, somewhere between the junctions with Gadlys Lane and Merllyn Lane.

Sorry it didn't work out better.

Tecwyn. :-[

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Google street view for almost all of the UK went live today.  You will find Bagillt on there  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk