Author Topic: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?  (Read 18255 times)

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?
« on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My great grandparents were licensees of the Wellington Inn in Bagillt at the time of my great grandfather's death in February 1900 and my great grandmother was still there on the 1901 census.

However I've tried various searches in Google and can't find any reference to it at all.

Does anyone have any idea where it was? Did it get demolished or does it still exist under another name? Thanks in anticipation.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Inn, Bagillt - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
It is still there in 1911 but where there is I don't know, if nobody gets back to you tonight I will ask my grandmother tomorrow who grew up in Greenfield area in 1920's although her memory isn't what it used to be!

Sarah
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
One thing you might try is "walking" the census route for recognizable addreses before and after.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this website, you should be able to contact them http://www.bagillt-history.org.uk/index.html
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I know you may have seen this, but....Might it have been a shortening of the name?
 http://tinyurl.com/yfeh7qj  Lists deed /lease holders 1835-1893
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your replies so far  - amazingly speedy and helpful. You've given me some good pointers - Duke of Wellington looks a possibility and I've got another society to email. It would be great to know exactly where in Bagillt it was/is. Thanks again.
Huntington (Wirral), Willmott (London & Flintshire), Barnett (London & Flintshire)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Just put Bagillt into Google maps....
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hl=en&tab=il

I was using this earlier to see if any recent "(Duke of )Wellington Inn" Clwyd listings were anywhere near but they aren't...
If you aren't familiar with the use of this useful extra you also can hit "get directions', fill in the blank/s and it will tell you how far away other locations are on the map from that town, etc....

Oh, Lordy, I can't read...you wanted to know where in the town...hee hee  :P  spid-ridder
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline phil100652

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rah (and others). Thanks for post (on Lletty item). Just to be clear, I've actually visited Bagillt to look for the Wellington Inn / Hotel but it no longer exists. I was wondering if anyone knew the location where it used to be or if it's still there but under a different name. It's probably a question only someone from Bagillt with a long memory would be able to answer so it was always a long shot.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 March 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I spoke to my Nain today and she says it was in the middle of Bagillt on the main rd/high street and I said 'are you sure?' and she said 'yes i think so, but i didn't go to Bagillt often only to the picture house' as i prevously posted she is 90 and her memory is going a little but it is a start, and she was certain it was called the duke of wellington. I've searched for pictures of Bagillt on the net but to no avail, but if i do come accross anymore info i will let you know.

Sarah  ;D
Ireland Mccaffery