Author Topic: DOWNING family of Castle Dawson & Bellaghy, 18th century  (Read 26954 times)

Offline Accra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DOWNING family of Castle Dawson & Bellaghy, 18th century
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 April 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Cyclamen,
Thank you for posting the information written by Marie E. Savage-Armstrong.
I'm afraid part of her information on Mrs Scott Robinson is incorrect.

Frances [Fanny] Scott Robinson nee Downing, married to James Scott Robinson, was the granddaughter of Dawson Downing by his 2nd wife Anne Boyd. Not his 1st wife Catherine Fullerton - who was the 1/2 sister of Anne Boyd.

She didn't have a daughter, she had a son called Ivan Scott Robinson born at Bray Co. Wicklow 26th Jan. 1881 and died 25th May 1915 from wounds he received at the landing of Gallipoli.

I don't know if Ivan married but I will add at the time of his death he was 34 years old and he was, quote, 'a Private 10th Batt. Australian Imperial Forces'.
Jill.

Offline ronalddale100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Re the William Downing of the Griffiths Valuation:

William James Downing was baptised in the Chapel of the Woods, Lisnamorrow on June 20, 1836, son of George Downing and wife Susanna Watterson, living in Caraloon at the time. 

I could find none of these other Downings in the church records from Magherafelt, Castledawson etc although there are a number of Downing, Downey and Dowling records.

ron Dale

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
Ron,
It would be most helpful for all the Downing researchers in the Magherafelt, Castledawson area to know what Downing, Downey, Downinge or Downynges feature in church records there up until about 1870.  If you could bear to post the names I am sure we would all be eternally grateful.
Tia

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
This site has been rather quiet since spring so I thought I would shake you all loose by asking if anybody is aware of other burial plots with Downings? I have been told they exist in the Ballaghy area besides St. Tida's and there are so many people NOT in the St. Tida's vault that you would imagine SHOULD be.
Speak Up - Don't be shy!
Tia

Offline jpaclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 May 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
It is some time since new messages have been posted on the Downing family of Bellaghy, but hoping some of you may be able to help.

My ancestor was Elizabeth Downing, d/o Rev William Downing.  She was born c1739 Co Derry, married John Graves a Royal Naval Lieut from Castledawson c1765 Dublin marriage licence, and died 20 Oct 1801 at Gravesend House, Antony, Cornwall.
John Graves died 26 Mar 1806 also at Gravesend aged 76.  His will 22 Jul 1802, proved 28 Apr 1806.
All the above sourced from parish records for Antony at Truro, Cornwall.

I am anxious to trace the parentage of John Graves and the connection of Rev William Downing into the rest of the Downing family.

Offline ronalddale100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 May 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
There was a Reverend John Graves who was married in 1739 at the Magherafelt Church of Ireland to a Jane whose surname is missing from the record.  I suspect that Reverend Graves and  Reverend Downing provide the connection for which you seek.  (Records of the Magherafelt Church of Ireland, PRONI MIC 1/1/1A)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Attn: jpaclarke
"My ancestor was Elizabeth Downing, d/o Rev William Downing.  She was born c1739 Co Derry, married John Graves a Royal Naval Lieut from Castledawson c1765 Dublin marriage licence, . . . "

Your post intrigues me.  I have quite a bit on the Downings of Bellaghy and your mention of "Rev. William Downing" might be a piece of the puzzle we have been searching for.
Research has determined that Col. Adam Downing of Rocktown was the patriarch of the Downing vault at St. Tida's Church in Bellaghy.
From his Will, we know he had at least 5 sons and 2 daughters as follows: (if they were mentioned by birth order, Henry as Co-Executor)
1. Henry, b. 1695/6 ; bef. 1766
2. Mary
3. John Downing, b. 1700 ; d. 1785
4. Jackson
5. William, b. 1709/10 ; d. bef. 1752
6. Adam
7. Elizabeth
We also know that William entered Trinity College, Dublin 23 Jul 1728 at age 18.
He earned his B.A. in 1733 and was dead by 1752 when he is described as “late of County Londonderry”.  Little else is known about him on my records.

Do you have anything further on his marriage and/or children ?
The timeline makes it possible that your ELIZABETH was a dau. of my WILLIAM.

You should also know, there was an apparent different branch of Downings centered around Dreenan.  Rocktown is adjacent to Drummard, where Adam's Uncle Nicholas had his homestead, and Dreenan is just about 2 miles north off the A-42.  There were a few William Downings of that branch as well.

Even if there is no connection, perhaps we should share notes.
Please reply,
Rick T.

Offline jpaclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 June 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
ronalddale100

Rev John Graves of Gravesend, Castledawson married Mrs Jane Hodgson (nee Hudson) on 19 Nov 1739 at St Swithin's, Magherafelt.  He was born c1711 Castledawson, son of Samuel Graves and Jane Moore, died 6 Jan 1776 at Gravesend and buried at Magherafelt.  Gravesend is now Castledawson golf club.  Rev John Graves would appear to have been the minister of the private chapel of the Dawson family on the grounds of Moyola Park near Castledawson in the parish of Magherafelt.  Not until 1874 was the new parish of Castledawson formed taking some townlands from Magherafelt and some from Ballyscullion (Bellaghy).

I did some 15 years ago go through the microfilm of Magherafelt but the copy was so poor that it was difficult to read.  Looks I may have to try again in more detail.  Rev John and Jane had 13 children, four of whom reached flag rank in the Royal Navy.  I was only able to indentify one in the baptisms, John 6 Aug 1743.

I have also searched through the Biographical Index for Church of Ireland Clergy and neither Rev John Graves nor Rev William Downing are mentioned with correct dates.
Peter

Offline jpaclarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 June 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
dukewm
Rick T

See my reply to ronalddale100 above.

I have photocopies of the entries for burials at Antony parish in Cornwall which read:-
Oct 20, 1801  Graves Elizabeth, daughter of the Revd William Downing of the County of Derry, Ireland, wife of John Graves, a Lieutenant in His Majesty's Navy - aged 62

Mar 26, 1806  Graves John, a superannuated Lieutenant in the Navy aged 76.  Buried 29th
(this John is my 4x great grandfather)

The Index to Dublin Grant Books and Wills has an entry for John Graves and Elizabeth Downing - 1765 Marriage Licence.

It is no coincidence that the house in Castledawson where Rev John Graves lived, the house in parish of Antony Cornwall where Lieut John Graves and his wife Elizabeth lived and the title that Lord Graves elected to take was 'Gravesend'.

I have no further information on Rev William Downing, nor can I find him in the Biographical Index for Church of Ireland Clergy.  The only Downing Will I have is for Henry of Rocktown and Dublin 1823 and I see that there is also one for Adam Gifford Downing at Kew.  Are there any others elsewhere?  Persons mentioned in Henry's Will clearly indicates that there is a connection to the Graves family.  I have not yet been able to place this Henry in my Downing tree.

Do lets share notes.  Peter