Author Topic: SALTER, POWNEY & EATWELL in Calne  (Read 16748 times)

Offline Muddy Waters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SALTER, POWNEY & EATWELL in Calne
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Arran

sorry  yes could be father and son, my maths seems to be up the creek!!  I was thinking there was only ten years between them and not the 20/21.  I'd better go back to school! :-[

Had look on the BVRI for any Mary Ann Eatwells ,  christened in the Calne area.  There was only this one christened in Calne, but she seems unlikely as  she isn't old enough to marry in 1852, unless of course the baptism was an adult one
EATWELL, Mary Anne   Christening
   Christening Date:   1 Sep 1844   Recorded in:   Calne, Wiltshire, England
   Father:   William Eatwell
   Mother:   Maria

There was this one, in Cherhill, which is another parish contiguous with Calne but the

EATWELL, Mary Anne   Christening
   Christening Date:   29 Sep 1833   Recorded in:   Cherhill, Wiltshire, England
   Father:   Benjamin EATWELL
   Mother:   Mary

good luck
Mary
Courtney GLA.DEV
Burge , Niblett, GLS
Muston, GLA
Muston, Lucas,Feltham, Adams, Cole, Whitmarsh, Goldwyer,Pitt,  DOR
Goldwyer, Hants.
Morgan Cwmdare GLA,
Morgan, BRE
James,Thornbury, Oldbury and Berkeley, GLS Biddle,Oldbury & Thornbury, Poole Barnsley, GLS Maisey Barnsley, Bibury, GLS
Richards, Dallyn/Dalling, Fry, DEV

Census information is Crown Copywright,  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mary  :D

I had a look at the IGI (with all due caution!) and found a Mary Eatwell, parents Elizabeth and Thomas.  Elizabeth lodging with MA from 1881 census could just about be this one?

Also found  a William, son of Thomas and Elizabeth EATWELL bap Calne 25 June 1826 which amatches nicely with the one on the 1871 census.  Can't find him marrying a Fanny though.  This would make Fanny MA's sister in law.

Major leaps of faith involved here!  Really appreciate your time.

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline hoppingmad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 06:58 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Harold Roland, son of Henry Salter and Mary Anne Powney.

Mary Anne was born 30 August 1866 in Falkland Islands, but birth was not registered until 1867,  I think, on her return to Wiltshire.  She died 12 January 1954,  in Bristol I believe.

Henry Salter married Mary Anne in the Calne parish church on 2 July 1889. Mary was 22 and Henry 24.

Their children were -

Mildred b 1891
 Ivan 1893
Bernard (b?)
Marjorie (b?)
Harold Roland b 1898
Margaret Amy (b?)
Rene (b? - but was the youngest) aka Katie

Hubert is unknown to me, although I have heard there was another son who died young.

Mildred and Margaret both emigrated to USA, and Margaret's children, Sylvia and Mary live there, so I could check further details.

Hope this helps.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 August 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hoppingmad

Welcome to Rootschat!

It sounds as though you are much better informed than me!  I was researching this branch for my aunt and haven't looked at it for ages - must have another go and see where I get to.

I'm interested that you think the birth was registered in the UK rather than the Falklands - wasn't fancying my chances of a look-up there & haven't got good sea-legs, so not planning to go and find out myself!

Will return to this in the morning.  I hope you will find things on Rootschat to help you with your research also.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline hoppingmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 August 08 05:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arranroots, please keep in touch. I shall try to find more detail from the extended family.

There is a legend (?) that Henry Felix Powney, Mary's father,  having returned from the Americas via the Canary Islands, on SS Great Britain, (presumably about 1867)  dumped all the family at Henry's sister's houses at Bremhill.

My mother, who spent some time as a child with her grandmother, said that when Mary was upset, she would lapse into Spanish. There is also a tale that the family house (quite large I understand) at Bremhill passed to the Spanish (Canary Is ?) branch of the family while the Salters were in the Americas after foundering at Falkland Is.,  as they were assumed to be lost.

Offline donnawales

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 September 08 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can give you a little info on The Powney’s if it will help you in your search

Henry Felix Powney  m Eliza Sheveland in San Carlos, Falkland Islands in 1859
My husband who is the Great-Great Grandson of Henry recalls being told that Eliza was in fact Lady Eliza Sheveland – although this has never been proven.

They had the following Children
Sarah Powney b 1863
John Henry Powney b 1864
Mary Ann Powney b 1866
(Eliza) Alice Elizabeth Powney b 2nd Sept 1868 (ironic as tomorrow’s date is 2nd Sept)
James Sheveland Powney b 2nd Sept 1868

Now Eliza passed away in 1868 and it is my belief that she died when she gave birth to the twins.

I notice that hoppingmad has filled you in on several bits and pieces – I too believe that Henry abandoned his family – he died in 1914 aged 75 –  Q2 Apr – May – June  District Bristol – 6a 36.

The family can be seen on the 1881 Census as living with their Aunt & Uncle Joseph & Elizabeth Ponting at Bremhill, Wiltshire.  RG11/2035. 

Hope that any info will be of a help to you.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 September 08 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Donna

Welcome to Rootschat!

Thank you so much for the information!  I am amazed to have so much luck in such a short space of time.

I will have to get this new information sorted and pass it along to my aunt.  I still find the whole Falklands thing mind-boggling (especially as I don't sail at all well!)

I wonder why Henry parted with his family?  Maybe he couldn't cope with a settled life after his adventures.

I little knew when i visited the Great Britain on her return to Bristol that there was a kind of family connection with the ship.  I will have to dig into that too!

I hope you enjoy Rootschat and that we can help you in return.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. Happy Birthday for tomorrow Eliza and James  :)

Offline hoppingmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 06:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you donnawales it seems to make sense from the family 'legends'.

Shall look at the indexes you provided.

Keep in touch.

Chris at hopping mad.

Offline Powney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 May 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just found this link re the Powney family.
My maternal Grandmother was the daughter of Eliza Powney born 2nd Sept 1868 in San Carlos Falkland Islands. I have her birth certificate and her twin James, I also have the marriage certificate for  Henry Felix Powney and Eliza Shevland.
Recently I obtained the death certificate for Eliza born 1868, it shows she was still in close contact to  her father Henry Felix Powney as he registered her death in in Oct 1907 in Bristol, so he must have had some sort of care towards her then.
My Nan was born in Foxham near Calne in 1902, she did say something about some sort of Spanish roots but was this to do with the Falklands and Argentina?
Anyway I would love to hear from any other Powney connections.
p.s I also have the death certificate for Eliza(nee Shevland) Powney showing she died on Sept 2 1868 on the day the twins were born.Bye for now Mattknow.