Author Topic: Watson Stewart  (Read 3048 times)

Offline porty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watson Stewart
« on: Saturday 13 March 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi am new to this so fingers crossed will be successful, on my Grandmother Elizabeth Watsons  marriage certificate 1884 parents listed as David Watson shoemaker journeyman and Ann Stewart, they are still alive but only couple of this name on SP  and IGI are two old. Cannot find a birth certificate for Elizabeth around 1860s in Kilsyth with these parents. Have her on 1871 census in Kilsyth living with Elizabeth Burns as her Gd, also 1881 census in Paisley as a lodger at address which she was living at time of marriage with daughter of Elizabeth Burns.

Have a David Watson app shoemaker on 1861 census in Kilsyth age 16 living with parents Robert Watson and Jean NE Gillies who were relations of my father , but no Ann Stewart or David Watson in 1871 census or anywhere else. Puling my hair out on this one almost giving up before i get going so any suggestions most welcome.
 :'(

Offline cheekywan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Watson Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Porty

Is the Ellizabeth Burns on both Census presumed to be Elizabeth Watson's daughter or was Elizabeth Watson the sole carer for her?  If so, would a birth date for Elizabeth Watson in 1860's not have been too young?

How old were both Elizabeth's on the Census?

Thanks
Heather
Page, McKinney, Moncrieff, McGillivray

Offline cheekywan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Strike that!

I see one was the Grandmother and one the daughter!

Heather
Page, McKinney, Moncrieff, McGillivray

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I think Jean Gillies born about 1804 Kilsyth, her parents would have been William Gillies born 1754 Kilsyth and Christian Gillies born 1769 Kilsyth.
They seem to link into my tree via a Jean Gracie born in Kilsyth.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
hi Porty

welcome to rootschat  :)

i wonder if david watson and ann stewart were married ?
the IGI has -
elisabeth stewart born 1st jan. 1863 kilsyth stirling mother ann stewart
no proof but worth thinking about

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline John Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 10 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Paul Family, Drumbeg Farm, Killearn and have found that Walter Paul and Peggy,[Presumably Margaret} Watson had a son John born 28th January 1798 in Killearn.  I have managed to trace the Paul Family history from then until 1960 with the death of Robert Paul, but I lost track of John William Paul born to Mary [Smith} Paul 19th Dec 1859 in Killearn. He last appeared on 1881 Census as being with his father and other family at the farm, when he would have been 22, but thereafter I could not find any records of him.  I would welcome any information in this respect. Cheers John Cameron

Offline porty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied, you could be right Eve Ann Stewart and David Watson might not be married., but my grandmother Elizabeth takes her fathers name. she was born in the 1860s but no birth record with her mothers name Stewart and hers Watson in Kilsyth. She is in 1871 census in Kilsyth age 8 with her grandmother Elizabeth Burns ne Stewart.

The David Watson i think might be her father is in the 1861 census in Kilsyth age 16 with his parents Robert Watson and Jean ne Gillies. as i recall  from an early age visiting relations of my father in Kilsyth called Gillies . :-\On her marriage certificate her parents are still alive and they are listed as being married, so confusing, also no record of parents in any census in SP. hope to see light at the end of tunnel some day.

Cheers May

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Porty (May)
I know where your Elizabeth is in 1881.... and I'd love to chat about the Stewarts.
Tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...

Have you looked for the birth of Elizabeth 'Watson' under the surname Burns?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"