Author Topic: St. Pauls Church, Milton Regis  (Read 18004 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
St. Pauls Church, Milton Regis
« on: Sunday 14 March 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to find a photograph of St. Paul's Church, which use to be in Milton Regis. It was built in 1862 and demolished in the 1950's due to flooding from nearby Kingsmill pond.

The only images I have so far are of my grandparents standing outside the main door, and a photo in John Clancy's book, Sittingbourne & Milton Regis Past and Present, which only shows a distance shot of the church from across the pond.

Sittingbourne Library did not have a photo of it the last time I was there, nor does the Sittingbourne Heritage website have any.

If anyone has a photo of this church, I would be really gratefull to receive a copy

Regards

Lee

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: St. Pauls Church, Milton Regis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee, :)
           No photos of St Pauls on this link but a wealth of info about Milton Regis on my friends Website.
         http://www.thisismiltonregis.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
               In case you dont have it already.
                             Regards Roger :D ;D
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi bearkat

Thanks for posting that photo. Its unfortunately the same one from John Clancy's book :(

Given how many Church's there were in Sittingbourne and Milton, I find it very odd that it is hard to find a photo of this church, especially since it was one of the eldest and initially St.Paul was designed to replace the Holy Trinity church in Milton

Regards

Lee

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I see from the link that the land of the Congregational Church was built on after a mass reburial of the bodies in its churchyard. Does anyone know if there is a list of the names of those reburied or where the original list of burials in the Congregation Church are (they weren't with the cemeteries officer at Sittingbourne when I went there last year)

thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
hi there

I believe the original registers for the Paradise chapel, along with St.Paul's, are now at the Centre for Kentish Studies, over at Maidstone. I don't believe KCC took a list of the bodies removed to Bell road cemetery. The Centre Kentish Studies should be able to confirm this

Regards

Lee

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lee I shall give them a try to see if I can find my missing relies there.

I take it the Paradise Chapel and the Congregational Church are one and the same
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Yes, their the same. It was original known as the Paradise chapel when the first chapel was built in 1790, and later the Congregational when the new parts were added in 1860

Lee

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee,

Thank you. I have pinged a couple of emails so hopefully I may make progress on where my William and Elizabeth ended up.

much appreciated

David