Author Topic: St. Pauls Church, Milton Regis  (Read 18002 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Re: St. Pauls Church, Milton Regis
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 August 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Evening

I believe I’ve pinpointed where St Pau'ls use to stand. The clue was a footpath that can be seen in two photos that ran behind St Paul's, connecting Church Street to St Paul's Street. The footpath, still using its original course, can be seen from Google Maps (the blue line on the map below)

The numbers on the map relate to the photos that have the footpath in them and the direction the photographer was standing when he took them.

1)   This photo of Periwinkle Mill as shown on the This is Milton Regis site - http://www.this-is-miltonregis.webspace.virginmedia.com/GALLERY/WATERMILL/periwinkle%20

2)   The photo below that Cornopean kindly sent me showing St Paul being demolished. Notice the curve in the footpath that still exists today!

If the weather behaves itself tomorrow, I will try to pop down to Church Street to try and take photos

Jibba

Offline Cornopean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 August 13 06:40 BST (UK) »
I agree with you, Jibba. I was hoping to pinpoint the exact location this weekend, but things didn`t go to plan. I know someone who knows the EXACT location but I didn`t want to drag this elderly gentleman out in the pouring rain, yesterday. It was he that transported the two pews from St. Pauls to Holy Trinity on a wheelbarrow.

Hoping that the following may be of interest!

Two pews from St. Pauls that are now under the Tower of Holy Trinity, Milton Regis.

Offline Cornopean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 August 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
Another two items from St. Pauls, now in Holy Trinity.

One of the two desks - it is not known which, as they are very similar.

The restored 1914-18 War Memorial.

Offline Cornopean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 September 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
jibba, have a look at this site on which you will find St. Paul`s Church in 1930. Also the Congregational Church (Paradise Chapel - up a bit and to the left of St. Paul`s) but strangely I cannot see the spire.
You were spot-on with your location! I`ve place marked  St. Pauls on the website, it`s the one on the left.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw032072?search=Sittingbourne&ref=0

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 September 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
Evening

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for sending the photos of the furniture. It is nice to know at least parts of St Paul's still survive today.

I did take some photos of the area as promised. As it has changed so much, I couldn't get into the position where the previous photographers have stood.

I've had to reduce the size of the images to allow them to upload. If anyone would like to see the originals, please message me

This first one show the beginning of the footpath in Church Street with the water wheel present in both photos

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 September 13 21:32 BST (UK) »
This tries to show the kink in the footpath were it went round the back of the church. The photo didn't capture it as well as I'd hope :(

Offline Cornopean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 September 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Great pics, jibba. It took me a while to sort out the first one but I think I`ve `got it` now. With your permission I`d like to `lift` them to add to the others I have. Personal use only, not for profit etc.

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 September 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
Morning

That's fine with me. The more information that is out there regarding St Paul's, the better the chance that someone will find they have photos of it stored away somewhere!

Thanks for sending the above link. Its great to see parts of Sittingbourne that no longer exist, including the houses were my ancestors were born/lived.

I've included below my grandparents and family outside St Paul's when they married in 1946 as another photo to add to the St Paul's collection!

Offline Cornopean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 September 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, jibba! One more for the collection.