Author Topic: Lost Bloomfield  (Read 2913 times)

Offline MicheleDV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Bloomfield
« on: Sunday 14 March 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
 Ive hit a block in researching my family tree.
 My grandfather was born in 1901 in Chester-le-Street and I see the birth records and I also have his birth certificate (hard copy) .
 So I do know his parents to be Joseph Bloomfield and Elizabeth Sponton but there is nothing after that?
 In all other family trees it doesn't state Hector Bloomfield as a son to these people?
 Even the census doesn't show him as their child or a sibling to the other children that Joseph and Elizabeth had.
 I was told that he was raised in a orphanage but I don't know which one?
 From what I read, Im assuming it was a workhouse but I have no proof of that.
 I guess Im frustrated and don't know where else to go, so Im just putting my story out there in hopes that I can find a new direction.

My grandfather (Hector Bloomfield) was very quiet about his upbringing and has made this a very difficult search.
Thankyou, to anyone who can help me!!   Michele

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Bloomfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 10 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michele, and welcome to Rootschat :)

Can I suggest that you have a look for Hector on the 1911 census, available on a pay-per-view basis at www.findmypast.co.uk?  A free index search suggests that your Hector is enumerated there, in the Chester-le-Street registration district.

Unfortunately we cannot look him up for you due to the terms and conditions of the provider, but you should be able to view the relevant schedule for relatively little outlay.

When in 1901 was he born?  If it was after 31 March that would explain why you have not found him on the 1901 census which was taken on that date.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:16 GMT (UK) »
These (from FreeBMD) may be the deaths of Joseph and Elizabeth BLOOMFIELD (both aged 33 in 1901: RG13/4699/34/15), which in turn may explain why Hector did not grow up in his birth family:

Death, Dec qtr 1902

Joseph BLOOMFIELD aged 35

Chester le Street 10a 306

Death, Mar qtr 1904

Elizabeth BLOOMFIELD aged 37

Chester le Street 10a 349
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MicheleDV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
 Thankyou for your help! Im currently looking into both of your posts. I can't believe how helpful people are!
 But would Hectors brothers and sister know something? I have contacted family members who have no idea on who he is.
 Is there a way to find out how his parents died?
 It seems so sad that alot of children where treated as disposables?? I understand the poverty and I suppose they did what they had to do. I just find it hard to understand.
 Thankyou for your help I really do appreciate it.
 P.S Hectors birthdate was August 24. 1909.

Offline MicheleDV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Oooops I meant his birthdate was August 24 1901 not 1909

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Oooops I meant his birthdate was August 24 1901 not 1909

Yes, I thought that was probably what you meant ;)

In order to find out how his parents died (assuming that the deaths I looked up do relate to Hector's parents) you can order the death certificates online - using the reference details given above - from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/.

If you order before 6 April you will pay the current price of £7 per certificate.  From 6 April the cost goes up to £9.25 per certificate.

Generally I don't think people thought of children as disposable, even in the most desperate of circumstances.  Unfortunately where parents died or were long-term sick or unemployed, or had too many children to feed, sometimes there was no choice but for the children to be brought up outside their birth families. Where siblings were separated at an early age they might well have forgotten each other over the years, especially as they would probably not have been encouraged to hark back to the past.

Let us know how you get on.

Anna :)

Offline Valerie Arnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Michele,  I have just now come across your post regarding Hector Bloomfield.  Hector came to Canada with my family and settled in Toronto.  I remember my father speaking of him often.  I would love to provide you with what I know, however it's a small amount.  I know your post is of age and hope I can still hear from you, I might be able to answer some of your questions.  The ship that they came over on was the Andania, Hector I have found on the ships list.  Valerie

Offline MicheleDV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

Thanks so much for contacting me. Yess any information you have would be fantastic.
My Mom (Hector's daughter) just passed away May 11th of this year.
So I have less to go on now, so any information you have would be great!!

Michele

Offline Valerie Arnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Michele,  Excellent to hear from you so quickly !  I wondered when I saw the date of your query.  Hector came to Canada with my uncle on May 5, 1929 his name/record can be found on the Andania passenger list for this day.  My uncle was Basil Watson.  Hector at the time was a home child, I do not know much more than that but I do know my father spoke of him often, my father was Geraint Watson.   I remember that Hector lived in Toronto and once coming to Canada not much more was heard from him.  I will try to find out more from my cousins.  Valerie