Author Topic: Bowden of Drogheda - religion?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bowden of Drogheda - religion?
« on: Monday 21 March 05 13:25 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother Annie Marie Bowden was born in Drogheda in 1822. I can't find a record of her birth and wondered if knowing her religion would help. Because her first names are Annie Marie, does this indicate that she was Catholic? She named her first son Samuel Patrick - is this another indicator?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bowden of Drogheda - religion?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 05 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Is this name Bowen or Bowden ? I have been helping with a bit of research of a member of the Bowen family of Drogheda.

Christian names are just that - Christian names. Those names you have mentioned are just popular Irish names. The names that my godmother gave to some of her children included Columb, Ethnie and Maeve and if I had the task of tracing their family tree and made assumptions about their faith I know I would end up hitting brick walls.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bowden of Drogheda - religion?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 06:49 GMT (UK) »
It's Bowden in all vital records and certificates I've seen, but I'm not ruling anything out. Would her birth in Drogheda in 1822 tie in with any Bowen records you have? May be that's why I've been running up against a brickwall - because she was really a Bowen and not a Bowden. (Her death certificate is at odds with all other records in that it places her born in 1832 and not 1822.)