Author Topic: Peter RAE / Janet BRAIDWOOD et al  (Read 18528 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Peter RAE / Janet BRAIDWOOD et al
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 December 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
hi Iain

welcome to rootschat  :)

you have to make 3 posts before you can use the personal message service
once you have done that then , as Janine notes , click on her green scroll to send a message

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline VioletB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I have only recently found that my great great grandmother Janet Anderson was a younger sister to Jean Anderspn who married James Braidwood.   As far as I can tell they had eight children.  James died June1866 in Larbert and Jean died 24th May 1903 in Larbert age 89.  She was living with her son Wiliam age 50, a mole catcher l at 13 Munro Street, Larbert

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi VoiletB,
thanks for your addition to the Braidwood thread.....yes, I have Jean (nee Anderson) and her son William Braidwood in the 1891 Census at Munro Street, Larbert. Did you know that her son James Braidwood, and nephew Peter Rae were living in the same street that year with their wives and children? 

You may be interested to know that Jean is buried in Larbert East Cemetery, Stirlingshire. Her record appears on the memento-mori website. The death date matches, but I noticed that the age they have listed does not. Memento-mori state her age as 96, when we know she would've been 88-89yrs old.

Jean's husband, James Braidwood, was my GGG grandmothers brother. 
All the best in your search for your family tree.

Regards,
Janine
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline kategrr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 January 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have lived in Peter Rae's house "Stenhouse View"for the past 30 years, with the title deeds of the house I have a copy of his will. He mentions Peter Rae Jnr, Janet Rae, James Braidwood Rae, John Rae and Jean Rae. He left the house to Jean in his will. I would be happy to scan a copy of the documents I have if they would be of any interest to you. I've was approached by a lady living a couple of streets away who is related in some way to Jean, I think she may be a niece. She was able to walk me through the house with her memories.

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 January 15 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello kategrr, and welcome to rootschat,
wow, you've certainly amazed me with your message...not only with the knowledge of you having lived in my GG uncles home all these years, but the Will, and a potential new living relative as well!!

I would dearly love to view the documents you have regarding Peter Rae Jnr (d. 1937) and anything you can tell me about the house, and his family.  I will PM you with my contact details.

Look forward to hearing from you!
thank you, and regards,

Offline clearyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 November 17 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still using this site, but I've been trying to uncover my boyfriend's mysterious family tree, and this thread seems like a really good lead. My boyfriend's grandfather is Peter Rae, who was born in Clydesbank, Scotland in 1926. He had a sister named Isabel Rae that was born in New Jersey, USA in 1924. There is some weird family history and I'd love it to get it sorted for my boyfriend and his dad. They are completely out of touch since the death of Peter.

Here's what I've found:
1923: Peter and Isabel's father, James Braidwood Rae (born , came to the US with his wife Mary. According to immigration records, their "closest relative" was Peter Rae, James' father, who lived at "Church Street, Stenhousemuir, Larbert". Kearny, New Jersey was their destination.
1924: Isabel Rae is born May 19th in New Jersey, USA.
1926: Peter Rae is born May 28th in Clydesbank, Scotland. In October, Mary, 33, returns to the US with Mary Isabel Kerr Rae, 2, and Peter, 4 months. I've only found records for their return. Not sure if James ever made the trip to Scotland.
1928: James and Mary listed as residing in Kearny, NJ.
1930: Census records James as widowed, living with Isabel, 5, Peter, 3 1/2, and sister-in-law, Jean Dewar, 41, also from Scotland (naturalized in 1925). Presumably, Mary's maiden name was Dewar.
1934: Isabel, 10, and Peter, 8, return from Scotland with their aunt Elizabeth Dewar, 43. Elizabeth and Isabel's most recent residences are listed as separate towns in NJ, but Peter's is listed as East Killbride, Scotland.
1940: James, 48, Isabel, 15, and Peter, 13 still living in NJ. James is now remarried to Elizabeth, 48, who is maybe Mary's other sister?

Peter Rae passed away in 1975. Apparently, he continued to live in NJ until his passing, and it's possible that Isabel did as well (she may have also had a daughter named Isabel). No clue what happened to James Braidwood Rae or Elizabeth.

Peter's son and grandson are looking to get in touch with their Scottish roots and possibly reconnect with family.

Appreciate any input/advice!

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 November 17 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello "Clearyce",
well I think I can say with almost absolute certainty that your boyfriend is my distant cousin. We share common ancestors, Peter RAE (b.1806) and Janet BRAIDWOOD (b.1809).

I even have a photo and some news stories about your boyfriends gg grandfather, Peter Rae (b. 1851 Carron, Larbert, Stirling, Scotland), as he was my ggg uncle.

I have a fairly extensive tree for this family, and beyond, so I will PM you my email address, and we can get started from there. I don't actually have James Braidwood RAE's wife, and kids on my tree, so you've helped me out a lot too.
Very Exciting!

Look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully helping you and your boyfriends family connect some ancestral dots :)

Regards, JJ

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I started looking for the Braidwoods about 2005 ish, my direct ancestor is John Braidwood who married Jean Millar. This week I thought I would revisit them and update all my records.

So I'm just checking in at the moment to say that this is a lovely thread and I'm happy to hear from anyone who might be related to me :)

Hilary
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 November 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hilary,
you and I are cousins it seems  ;D
Are you the descendant from John and Jean's son, William Braidwood (b.1810 Carnwath)?
He was my ancestor, Janet RAE (nee Braidwood)'s brother.

For some odd reason I have a note on my family tree file that you are his descendant.. perhaps I saw another post of yours from a Braidwood thread? It's been years since I posted anything about them, and haven't bothered to re-read them all.

Feel free to PM me your email address, and perhaps we can help one another fill gaps on our respective Braidwood branches.
 :)

Nice to hear from you, and discover another relative  :)