Author Topic: Peter RAE / Janet BRAIDWOOD et al  (Read 18473 times)

Offline davidbraidwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • researching all Braidwoods and all Broadwoods
    • View Profile
Re: Peter RAE / Janet BRAIDWOOD et al
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 May 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Janine,

I research all Braidwoods, so I will try to help.

In my files I have your Janet as the daughter of John Braidwood and Jean Millar.

I realise that her death registration shows her mother as Margaret Millar, but I have to assume that that is incorrect, as it often was. The witness was Peter Rae and you would think that he would know the name of his grandmother, but it wasn't always the case.

There is no record of a John Braidwood marrying a Margaret Millar. A John Broadwood married a Margaret Miller, but that was in 1754 and can be discounted.

There is no record of John Braidwood marrying Jean Millar either, but there are records of them having seven children between 1809 and 1819, the first four in Carnwath and the last three in Larbert.
John Braidwood then remarried Jean Bell in 1822 in Larbert and had another nine children, all born in Larbert.

John and many of his children are buried in Larbert West Kirkyard.

A John Braidwood did marry an Elizabeth Millar in 1795 in Inchture, Perthshire. Maybe she died and he married her sister as often happened.

I'll keep looking and advise if I find anything else.

David Braidwood

Braidwood, Broadwood

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 May 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hello David,
welcome to Rootschat, and thanks for your input. Yes, it would appear the death cert is a red herring, and I agree it is more likely that Jean MILLER/MILLAR is her mother. I have emailed Carnwath district library to see if they have any old parish registers for a marriage between John and Jean, but if you haven't found anything, it may suggest the document doesn't exist.

FYI, you will need to remove your personal email address before the moderators see it. It is part of their code of conduct not to put private emails on the boards. You can Personal Message someone once you have done 3 or more posts (I think). 
Cheers,
Janine
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline davidbraidwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • researching all Braidwoods and all Broadwoods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 May 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Janine, some more information.

Your Janet Braidwood had a brother James b 1815 m JEAN Anderson 1841

They had children WILLIAM b 1850 and James Anderson
JAMES ANDERSON married ISABELLA DUNCAN and had children
JAMES, WILLIAM DUNCAN, JOHN, EUPHEMIA LAMOND and GEORGE DUNCAN.

All the upper case people were living next door to Peter Rae and Isabella Scott on the 1891 census.

David
Braidwood, Broadwood

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 02:25 BST (UK) »
Janine, some more information.

Your Janet Braidwood had a brother James b 1815 m JEAN Anderson 1841

They had children WILLIAM b 1850 and James Anderson
JAMES ANDERSON married ISABELLA DUNCAN and had children
JAMES, WILLIAM DUNCAN, JOHN, EUPHEMIA LAMOND and GEORGE DUNCAN.

All the upper case people were living next door to Peter Rae and Isabella Scott on the 1891 census.

David

Hi again David. Thanks for confirming that for me. I have a copy of this 1891 Census sheet, and sat down yesterday to do the maths and see if the Braidwoods were who I thought they might be. So I eventually worked out that they were the cousins to Peter Rae.

Did you also spot their mother, Jean Braidwood [nee Anderson] living next door as well? She is with elder son William Braidwood (age 40, unmarried, Occ: Mole Catcher). Jean is shown as Widow, age 76, born Slamanan, Stirlingshire.

This is Munro Street in Larbert and it's cool to think the cousins were all living next to one another.

I have more info to compare with you so I might PM you and see what you have as well.
Chat soon...
thanks again,
regards Janine

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 November 10 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone following this thread....just before I complete it forever, thought I might add a few bits of info in case someone is interested.

Found my ancestor Peter Rae's mother - Bethia TOWERS in 1841 census with her daughter Francis RAE as follows:

1841 Carronshore, Labert, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Bothea TOWERS  age 55  b. Stirling
Francis RAE          age 30  b. Stirling

Interesting to see "Bothea"s surname is TOWERS (ie her maiden name) and not husband William's surname of RAE.   I have heard of Scots unofficially 'marrying' using the handfasting ceremony...so I wonder if this couple did that. No parish records show a marriage for William RAE and Bethia TOWERS.

Their daughter Francis RAE (b. 1809, Larbert), who I had listed as a male, thanks to IGI, is also in 1851 and 1861 census records. She died, unmarried, in 1863, Larbert, Stirlingshire, age 54.

I can't find her sister Mary RAE (b. 1812, Larbert) in any census records. IGI shows a possible marriage for Mary to William HOTCHKIS, but using that surname has also brought zero results.

Also can't find brother James RAE (b. 1817, Larbert) in any census records.

Eldest son William Rae (b. 1804, Larbert) married Catherine HENDERSON, and I have them and their family in 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1881.

Still pursuing descendants, but if anyone has anything to add to this RAE family I would be grateful for anything.

Cheers,
Janine

Offline Dano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 November 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

William Rae b 1804 Larbert and married to Catherine Henderson was a ships carpenter.  He died 3 July 1881 Larbert.  I have ther death certificate.  If you want to PM me with your e-mail address I can send you a copy.  Catherine died 1876 Larbert but I did not purchase that record.  She was aged 70 at the time of her death.  I have 8 children for the couple from 1834 to the last William born 1848 who was the informant on his fathers death certificate.

cheers Dano
Stirlingshire, Scotland - Aitken, Waddell, Wilson, Rae, Dunlop, Liddell, McLuckie. Laird
Carmarthen, Wales - Lewis
Carvan, Ireland - Coyle
N.S.W. Australia - Lewis, Morris

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 November 10 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dano,
thanks for your posting.  I would love a copy of William Rae's death cert, so I will PM you straight away. Thanks.

I have Catherine Rae (Henderson)'s death date as 23 Apr 1876 Larbert, sourced from a Tom Paterson UK website. He has an amazing collection of data on there so you should check it out sometime, if you haven't already  :).

And yes, I have 8 children for the couple as well, using all the census records as a source (and Tom Paterson's website again).

Thanks again for your offer. Chat soon.
Regards,
Janine

Offline anzac49

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Currie
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 December 10 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

I always thought that I was reasonably proficient when placed in front of a computer keyboard.

Not So!!  :-[

I can't for the life of me find a reply button for your kind msg to me re John Currie and his tree - hence I'm in this string (hopefully not too impertinently)

Thank you - I would love to have any info that you have on the Curries of Ardbeg Farm.

My info is ever so general.

I have a rather detailed tree of their New Zealand roots through John Currie's son William, whose son (also) John was my Great Grandfather (I think) on my mother's side. I would be happy to share any of this that you might like.

given that I can't even find the "reply" button for personal messages, I'm now wondering how we go about exchanging info - hope very much that you're a master!!

Kind Regards from some far distant relative.  Iain

I note that you're in Oz - I'm in Sydney (North).

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 December 10 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain,

thanks for the message. I tried sending you a PM but it says your limit has been reached. Sadly I cannot post my email address on a board, as it breaches the rules.

If you click on my 'scroll' symbol below my ID on the left of this page, you should be able to send me a Personal message.  If not, you need to post a few more notes on a board before you can PM someone.   Rather frustrating, as I believe we are closer cousins than you might think, and we may be able to help one another.

Cheers, Janine