Author Topic: John Dodson Chalmers Ontario  (Read 20166 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: John Dodson Chalmers Ontario
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 March 11 22:27 GMT (UK) »
In a PM, Muskoka Lass asked if I could help find a death for James Burnett Chalmers' first wife. Since there are other researchers of the family posting in this thread I thought it would be better to respond in the thread rather than privately.

You mentioned they had a son named Wilbur and when I looked at his death registration I noticed it said he was born in Cheboygan, Michigan. The LDS Family Search site has two Michigan deaths databases and the one entitled "Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800-1995" has a death for Ellen Jane Chalmers, born about 1881 in Canada, daughter of James Anderson and Annie McNelly who died 28 Jun 1902 in Cheboygan City, Cheboygan County, Michigan.

It looks like James and Jane had more than one child. They also had a daughter named Hazel Gertrude Chalmers who was born 16 Aug 1897 in Grey County, Ontario. She died 5 Oct 1897 in Owen Sound.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Bookert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 March 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
From my searching on the Internet, it seems that the George Paul Chalmers mentioned above was a well known painter rather than author.
Chalmers
Denis
Charlton
Beazley
Slaunwhite
Christian

Offline Muskoka Lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 March 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I am so sorry - he was a painter and is known for his Scottish Landscapes.  A cousin of mine does have an original portrait of his - arriving in Canada through an Aunt who visited with one cousin Biddy Angus in Montrose, Scotland. My Aunt beccame close with Biddy and the painting was given to my Aunt \mary who later gave it to a niece.  His works are on dislay in the museum in Edinboro Scotland.

Thank you once more - My grandfather did travel to Michigan to learn the trade of whitesmithing - plumbing (I have all his original Plumber's school books) from USA. It was there he met my Grandma (emma louise) after his first wife's death.  This would be why we could find no death records in Canada for her and my mother's records were based a lot on what great aunts and uncles could remember.  THANK YOU AGAIN. 

Offline brae57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 April 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information you have shared here.  I would be interested in more information about James Chalmers second wife, Emma Fredrick.  Emma Fredrick is my grandfather's sister.  I have been researching the family for a few years.  Thank you.

Offline Muskoka Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 April 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
Emma Louise Frederik is my grandmother. She met my grandfather James Burnett Chalmers in Manistee Michigan - I think when he was serving with the volunteer troops for the Spanish American war Effort. They were married in Toronto, Ontario Canada and Emma raised Wilbur Chalmers (son from James 1st marriage - his 1st wife died in Canada.  we too have been trying to research Emma's background and I do have some of her brothers and sisters names as my mother was trying to assemble a history.  Please feel free to contact me.

Offline brae57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
I am new to this board and unsure of how to contact you, so if you would like to contact me at (*) I would appreciate it.  Replace at with @  Recently, I was contacted by a Fredrich (spelling used in Germany) researcher and he has shared some information with me on the family in Germany.  I would be happy to share what I have.  Thanks.  Brenda

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Muskoka Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
This is all pretty new to me also - please allow me to get Easter weekend over and done with and i will have more time to spend with this keyboard.  We are basically going on information from American Aunts and Uncles, cousin etc. that the older Aunts and Uncles could remember and not much else - a few letter with return addresses and names from the padt we have remembered from visits.  I know one of Emma's brothers was William and he always came by train for visits from Grand Rapids, Mi.  I also remember cousins visiting from Michigan - both male - one was named Dale and I do not recall the other - sorry.

I may also be mistaken that James and emma met in Manistee - it could have been Cheboygan area in Mi.

There was also a sister that used to come to visit often.  I will dig out the entire list of Emma's sisters and brothers as I have been given them and provide you with this.  We have no information from Germany whatsoever but I can sure assist you with the history of James' family.   Thank you so much for your reply.

I promise to be in touch next week after Easter Monday.

Offline patsychalmers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 June 22 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hello to all the contributors of data pertaining to John Dodson Chalmers and Catherine Burnett. They were my great grandparents. Their son William Scott Chalmers married Minnie May McKee Rutledge of Markdale, On. William Scott Chalmers died early in life in 1914, leaving Minnie to manage the family farm in Owen sound and raise their 2 children: Hazel Rutledge Chalmers (born October 21 1905, died in Perth,  Ontario in 1999) and John Burnett Chalmers (born August 7, 1909, died 2003 in Brownsburg, Quebec). Hazel Rutledge Chalmers never married. She was a high school English teacher and travelled the world extensively on her summer vacations. John Burnett Chalmers was a chemist and married twice. His First wife was Mona Roberts and they had two children, Scott Chalmers and Robin Dodson Chalmers. John Burnett Chalmers's second wife was Georgette Denis of Brownsburg, Quebec. The couple had 7 children: Baby Chalmers died at 9 days of age, Paul Burnett Chalmers, George Rutledge Chalmers, Karen Leah Chalmers, Patricia Lynn Chalmers, William Denis Chalmers and Marsh Claire Chalmers.

Offline patsychalmers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 05:42 BST (UK) »
I am saddened to see that most of the above links are no longer valid Eg.the last post of an image with Catherine 36, John 6, James 4, and Agnes 6mo.
Catherine Burnett and John Dodson Chalmers were my Great Grandparents. Their son William Scott Chalmers(1876-1914) was my grandfather. He married Minnie Rutledge of Markdale, On and they had 2 children, Hazel Rutledge Chalmers (1905-1999) and John Burnett Chalmers (1909-2003).
Hazel was a teacher and international traveller and retired as head of the English Department in Perth Ontario. Her earliest posts were in a northern Ontario two room schoolhouse followed by a job in Chapleau, On. before transferring to Perth. John Burnett Chalmers (my father) was raised on the family farm in Owen Sound and studied chemistry at Queens University where he was president of the Chemistry club. He landed a job in 1932 in a lab at Canadian Safety Fuse where he worked until his retirement as General Manager of CSF.