Author Topic: Cooke of B'ham,Measham, Burton, Derby & Dublin  (Read 17936 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cooke of B'ham,Measham, Burton, Derby & Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Eliza Jane Cooke died and was reg. 4th Qtr 1937 Dublin Sth. Age 87 (b.1850).
This ties in with her age in the 1911 census.
Ken

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

I am not related to these families I know, but I have been finding following your research very interesting. 

Tressle

Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tressle, that's very encouraging.
I should give a few background notes about William Bromley Cooke, father of the five Cooke brothers who appeared in Dublin.
William Cooke, born Birmingham 1810, added Bromley later. Went to Measham about 1826 to work as a clerk in the tape mills.
Married Anna Maria Smith in 1830, in Birmingham, returned to Measham.
About 1835 the tape mills went bankrupt. William made and sold smallwares (woven borders, braid, bindings etc.) at home.
In late 1841 the Cookes moved to Burton-upon-Trent, where William leased two mills at Repton Road, Winshill, 2 km. from Burton, where he made and sold smallwares. The lease was dated 11.10.1841 and the lessor was Lord Paget.
In early 1840s William had a fine house built, Trent Cottage on Newton (or Repton) Road. (The house was later converted into sheltered accommodation for the elderly and in 1969 was renamed ‘Abbeyfield House’-view on internet.)
In 1846 William employed over 250 people.
In 1848 he was declared bankrupt, and with his family moved away from Burton.
In 1850 they were in Manchester where the youngest child, Arthur Patrick was born. Wm. was a commercial traveller. There is no sign of any of them in the 1851 census.
A few years later, the eldest son, William, appears in Dublin.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 April 10 02:20 BST (UK) »
In the previous post, I wrote:  There is no sign of any of the Cookes in the 1851 census in England, and that, a few years later, the eldest son, William, appears in Dublin.
This is based on an entry in Thom’s Dublin Directory of 1852: Cooke, William B, Commission Agent of Tolka Lodge, Cabra.
William jnr. was 19-20 years old and Thomas would have been only 15.
But perhaps this was William Bromley snr. who would have been there with his family, which would explain why we could not find them in England.
Ken

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 April 10 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

I have been looking at the announcements of William Bromley Cookes (Tape Manufacturer) bankruptcy notices from about 1847.

Regarding Robert Choyce Cooke I found the following.

Derbyshire paper dated April 22nd 1868

Robert Choyce Cooke of Cotton Lane, Litchurch, Light Porter, previously of Gerard Street Derby thence a grocer, baker, provision dealer and tea hawker .....bankrupts last application and examination for discharge....No creditor opposed. Debts of £154, 1s and 3d. plus credits of no value amount to £52, 19s and 8d ..  the examination was passed and an immediate order of discharge was issued.

............This is based on an entry in Thom’s Dublin Directory of 1852: Cooke, William B, Commission Agent of Tolka Lodge, Cabra...........This is just an interesting aside as William Cooke may not live at Tolka Lodge by 1859 and I don't know what sort of building it was but the Dublin newspaper of 1859 has a small article on a burglary.  The occupant of Tolka Lodge (unamed) heard the sound of breaking glass and upon investigation found a man escaping through a broken pane with some stolen clothes.  He apprehended him.

UPDATE - could possibly be a J W Bailey by this time.

Tressle

Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 April 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trestle,
That's interesting. I don't think the hero of Cabra Lodge in 1858 was one of the Cookes though.
When William & Thomas married two Sweny sisters on 25.1.1859, they both lived at No. 1 Charleston Rd, and gave their father's occupation as 'Agent'.
So if he had still been in Dublin, I guess he would have lived there too.
But I doubt it, as he was not one of the witnesses .
Re Robert's bankruptcy- he was discharged, but he would  have had to repay his debts, and, like his father, start all over again, which would have been very difficult.
Can you tell me the name of the Derbyshire paper ?
Regards,
Ken

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 April 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Yes, it was the Derby Mercury, two mentions of the Bankruptcy proceedings for Robert Choyce Cooke.

Tressle :)
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 05:28 BST (UK) »
I said earlier that William Bromley Cooke jnr. returned to England with a new wife. It now seems he was only there for a short time, perhaps to marry, and then return to Ireland.
In the 1881 census, he was at 2 Sandstone St West Derby, Liverpool. He was 47, born Measham, Derby and was a coal agent. That was his occupation in Dublin.
His wife was Elizabeth, age 27, born W.Derby L'pool, a laundress.
Also there was James Norman, 13, brother-in-law, born W.Derby.
So we can assume that Eliz's name was Norman, and that they had married recently in Liverpool.
They are not noted in subsequent  UK censuses.
Then in 2nd Q. 1890, Lydia T Cooke married, reg Sth Dublin.
William's eldest child was Lydia Thomasina, born 1865 Dublin.
I'll send off for the Mar. cert. to confirm that they are the same.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 July 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
Re my post 16-
I now have the certificate:
St. Martin’s Dublin 25.6.1890, Lydia T. Cooke, dau. of William B. Cooke married
James Gibb Macnab of Glasgow, railway clerk. Witnesses- Ralph Sweny & Victoria E. Sweny. Ralph was her uncle, and Victoria was Ralph's cousin,
Then, the birth of their son James Cooke Macnab  Reg. St. Rollox, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, 29.8.1891,
Then, London Gazette 7.12.1915, The Highland Light Infantry-
To be 2nd. Lieutenant- James Cooke Macnab,
Then, Auction of Military Medals 20.4.2006, Spink & Son Ltd, London-
A Great War 'Western Front' M.C. Group of Four.
Military Cross, G.V.R., reverse neatly engraved 'Second Lieutenant James Cooke Macnab, M.C. 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) Battalion, Highland Light Infantry For Conspicuous Gallantry 27th July 1916', in Royal Mint case of issue; 1914 Star (921 C. Sjt J.C. McNab. 9/High: L.I.); British War and Victory Medals (2. Lieut. J.C. MacNab), extremely fine (4) Estimate £800-900
M.C. London Gazette 27.7.1916 2nd Lt. James Cooke MacNab, 1/9th Bn., High. L.I., T.F. 'For conspicuous gallantry during a raid. He took many prisoners, as ordered, at greater risk than if he had killed his opponents. He repeatedly showed great daring on patrol.'
Lieutenant James Cooke MacNab, M.C.; commissioned Lieutenant 9th Battalion Highland Light Infantry, 1.7.1917
There are more references to him on 'familysearch' which I will look up shortly.
He would have been my father’s second cousin.
Ken