Author Topic: Vaughan,Jones,Morgan  (Read 4749 times)

Offline teewee49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Vaughan,Jones,Morgan
« on: Monday 21 March 05 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information on my family.
My great Aunts grandfather from Wales was Daniel Jones he married a woman named Vaughn
they had 3 sons
One son Daniel Jones married what was considered to be a commoner she could not read or write.
Daniel Jones Sr. disowned him.
he then took his mothers maiden name of Vaughan and left for the US
following suit were his two brothers I do not know their names.
I would like information on Daniel Jones and his wife (maiden name Vaughan)
Daniel Sr. died and is buried somewhere in Wales,  upon his death the boys here in the states were offered either money or college educations they turned it all down.
It is said that we are related to Morgan the Pirate through Daniel Jones SR.
any information on he and his wife and family and his home in Wales would be greatly appreciated.
please feel free to e mail me.
thank you for your help

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vaughan,Jones,Morgan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teewee

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you have any dates for any of this?  It's going to be difficult without as "half of Wales" were called JONES  :D

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teewee49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 05 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The nearest dates I can guess at would be 1700s to 1900s My Aunt Winnie died in 1985 and she was the granddaughter to Daniel Jones daughter of Daniel SR. we have so many names on that side at one time she told me the name of her fathers town where he married and it sounded like FLAM-POON-SITE it was hard to tell
among the family names we have all the common Welsh names
OWENS ,HUGHES,JONES,VAUGHAN (VAUGHN),ROBERTS,MORGAN, so needless to say I check all those boards lol...
           My Aunt told me that we were somehow related to Morgan the Pirate as I read his short history I found that the King was trying to have him killed by a man last name of Vaughan also found that he married a cousin named Vaughan in I think the east Indies . I do not know  if there were any daughters but somewhere in there possibly young Daniels wife was Ann Sullivan and to my recollection she married Daniel and he was a school teacher.
             Like I say I am doing this from memory which is really tough because my Aunts one niece who is alive has Alzheimer's and she had been to Wales and her brother died he had some information but it is now gone.
                I think I recall my Aunt telling me when I was a child that they were from Northern Wales and that part of the family in the US settled in NY while there was another in Dallas TX and I have not found any of them..
                    Thank you for your response and I will keep trying to find information..
                    My Aunt was Winnifred Vaughan her sisters were Margaret and Elizabeth Mary, all 3 were school teachers.
                     Their Father was Daniel
again thank you

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 05 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would think it's going to be near on impossible to trace any of them for certain without any firm facts.  I would suggest that you find the birth certificate for your aunt/great aunt or one of her siblings or relatives if you know when/where they were born in Wales.  I trust that you have found some of them in the US census records  ???  Depending upon when they emigrated they may appear in the Ellis Island records.

Most English/Welsh families can be traced pretty easily through the birth, marriage, death records and various census etc. during the 19c but you have to get some firm information to start with - start with what you know for certain is correct and then work back from there.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teewee49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the help I am working on that very project with my aunt who has alzheimers she may be able to unlock some of the secrets.
               I know for fact that Dan Sr. was married to Vaughan and they all took mothers maiden name and that Ann Sullivan was married to a Vaughan.