Author Topic: Isaac Sutherland  (Read 36052 times)

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Sutherland
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 12 January 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Glad you have joined in finally :))

Had a look at the land map.. what is the writing on the top?

When William inherited the land from Isaac is there a copy of the will anywhere. What did he leave the other kids? He had heaps of land blocks.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 12 January 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello all you people....

Lovely to read through the postings, each time hoping for a 'link'  but no there isnt one... Its just that the names are so similar, to some in mine   :-\

But mine were basically shoemakers from Fife.

However -  Sutherland - Buchanan - John James Robert Margaret are all names from my tree... I think there maybe a Gunn in there too. 

and MY Father John Sutherland, emigrated to Australia circa 1950 and joined the Royal Australian Navy. 

just thought I would pop on and say hello to fellow Sutherland researchers.

;)

xin

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 12 January 12 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Xin,

Chasing Isaac Sutherland has become an obsession....I have almost everything on Ancestry.com so that I can pick up more info and any records that become available.

Post photos and documents and share them.

And as you can see cousins have reconnected and Isaac has become a person to us all instead of a name and a date.

The Somerset Hotel started the new life for him and his family and they succeeded. But I want to know the whys and the wheres etc..

I have 2 trees on ancestry. but try this link

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/14720119/person/158039388

I am not sure if you have to be a member to see it though.

Offline jmd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 13 January 12 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all the information. Until a few months ago I had no idea I had any Sutherland blood flowing in my veins.
My lineage is Isaac and Margaret Sutherland - son Robert and Agnes (nee )Cashley - daughter Ethel Amy and Herbert Stranger - daughter (Helen) Alma and (John) Roy Shepherd - daughter Margaret and John Taylor.
I am reading all your messages with interest.
regards
Janice

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 13 January 12 06:46 GMT (UK) »
managed to get to the link... via ancestry uk... very interesting... just wish we could connect ... but very doubtful..
So many Sutherlands with the same names.....

I was in touch with a lady from your part of the world  sometime back who was researching Sutherlands...in depth.... cant think of her name just now.  But I imagine you will have found her..

bfn

xin

Offline billphillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Isaac sold almost all his land in about 1890, and I doubt he had anything left to sort out by the time he passed away in 1896.  His Grandson William Phillips and his Granddaughter Eveline Proctor purchased all his property around Bannockburn. 

You are good at finding the wills and probate, so I guess this will be one you go after.....  I await your results with interest.  8)

Bill

Offline heaths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

There isn't one on record!!! been looking because that would give us the land etc.. I don't even know where they lived :(

Offline croftia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 10 November 18 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, but have been trying to track down Isaac Sutherland after Ben left his footprints on the edge of what I was working on in Family Search!   :)  Ben I left a message for you there and also spliced your family snippets into mine.  I am also a descendant of James McFarlane Sutherland through his daughter Ann Agnes Pentecost Sutherland.

Of interest is www.meredithnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/August__2011_-_WEB.pdf where a local historian Marg Cooper has written a short article on Edward Tonkin Sutherland.  Some years ago she researched and wrote a book on all of the local men who were ex students of Bamganie State School who went away to the Great War.  Edward was one of these.  My Grandmother was his sister.

I'll work my way through these posts and put in my two pence worth.  I will say that my father remembers mention of, I think Isaac, planting churches up and down the road between Geelong and Balaarat.  He was more likely to be what is now called a Lay Preacher as he kept his "full time job " as carpenter. He would not have been at all like a full time Anglican minister. 

I remember my grandmother as very strict in her views, very straight laced and proud of her family!

I have some documents and will reread them soon.

Offline croftia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
For another view of Isaac Sutherland and his family, you may wish to read the following.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5737843?searchTerm=%2BIsaac%20%2Bsutherland%20%2BBannockburn%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=l-state=Victoria|||l-decade=186|||l-category=Article

Cheers