Author Topic: Link to James(Jemmy)Matthews  (Read 5253 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Link to James(Jemmy)Matthews
« on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
im trying to establish a link between James(Jemmy)Matthews and my Charles Matthews.
The 1871 has Charles(mis-transcribed Apaster Mathena) and family, stopping with James and family.
James did have a brother Charles(Chorley) but he was born 1846 and is elsewhere on 1871.
So im thinking they could be cousins.I think its inconceivable theyre not related,given they are stopping together,Charles also uses same Matthews family first names for his children,and some birth/stopping places the same.
James parents were James(Chewbacca) Matthews and Lydia Gowen.
The furthest i can get back with my Charles is 1861,where he,his wife and 6 children are all born place unknown.
class rg10 piece 726 folio 43 page 80.
If anyone can establish what the link is between Charles and James,or find anything before 1861,id be really grateful,
many thanks,
Nel.

Offline SophieWattsit

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Link to James(Jemmy)Matthews
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, my Mother and I have a family tree of this family... We're trying to trace some of them still... When I find out I will tell you.

Sophie

Offline Pernod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Chorley Matthews is my Great Great Grandfather through his daughter Elizabeth Matthews - He had a brother called James (Jemmy) Matthews who was born in 1830 & married a Famebridge Matthews (1831-1913) - I'm not sure whether this is your James but Chorley's father was the great Chewbacca Matthews so I am sure that it is.  I have Chewbacca's father listed as John Matthews (1755-1829) & his wife as Jane Matthews (no other info known on Jane) - further back I have John Matthews' mother listed as Ann Matthews but no name for his father.  A lot of this information I have got from this website & the great book by Frances Brown called Fairfield Folk which is definitely worth a read.  My daughter Sophie & I are currently researching this side of the family & it is great fun - please feel free to contact me again for any further info, hope this helps.  Many thanks Lorraina

Offline SophieWattsit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
Nelwild - my Mother has just posted a reply to how Charles is linked with Jemmy... I thought I'd just add another message so you get the notification. If you need any more help then please feel free to ask.

Also, Famebridge Matthews' real name is apparently; Phamal Matthews. She's also known as Fam(e)bridge/Phamal Smith from another family.
Just thought I'd add that in...  ;)

Sophie

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Sophiewattsit and Pernod,

many thanks for this info.What i need to do if i can is try and discover excactly how my Charles Matthews is related to Chorley and Jemmy.
The earliest census entry i have for my Charles is 1861,and has him born c1832.
On the 1871 he and his family is stopping with your James and his family,so im assuming hes a cousin of Jemmy and Chorley,and nephew of Chewbacca,but cant prove it yet.
If you or anyone can establish the link id be very grateful.
Ive got Fairfield Folk and it is a fascinating read.

Thanks,
Nel.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 April 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie

I was interested in your mention of Fam(e)bridge Matthews also being known as Phamal Smith. Do you have any other information about her?

I ask because my 3xgreat-grandmother was also a Fam(e)bridge and so I collect all references to the name. You also see it as Fabridge and Favouridge and abbreviated to Femi or Fami - which is perhaps where 'Phamal' comes in.

Thanks.

Best wishes
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline SophieWattsit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Fam(e)bridge also had the surname Matthews which probably starts off a whole new tree for you. Once I've download the family tree maker I will be able to tell you more.

Two ticks... :)

Offline swingboats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
hi all not been on this site very long and just reading about jemmy and chorley Matthews two of my gr granddads brothers [joseph harelip Matthews] being a showman I no a little bit on the fairground side if I can help please ask   regards george

Offline mhanson84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
did james matthews have a son named william henry matthews from battle, sussex who married a mary ann holman..if so one of their son's names was richard matthews...who married my great grandmother ella victoria smith from winnipeg...he was a member of the Northwest Mounted Police..