Author Topic: 1813 Ballyeaston Congregation Census  (Read 28533 times)

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1813 Ballyeaston Congregation Census
« on: Wednesday 17 March 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of "His House on the Hill" Book which is the History of the 1st Presbyterian Church at Ballyeaston?

If so could I request a look up for any Families named SEMPLE from the Congregation Census of 1813.

Many Thanks

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1813 Ballyeaston Congregation Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skels

I have plenty of books!!! If you go to www.firstballyeaston.org you can order one online or just let me know. All money goes to the Church. (My Fathers is the Publisher)

There are two familys both in the townland of Ballyboley.

Artr. Semple aged 60 Farmer
Mary 63 wife
David 36
John 23
Ann 27
Jennet 25
Saml. Semple 34 Pedlar

Jas. Semple 47 Farmer
Margt., 60 Wife
Adopted Children
Jane Graham 19
Jas. Graham 17

If you need any more help with records of First Ballyeaston please let me know. I have access to the Baptismal records.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
John,

Thank you for the list, these tie up with what I found on the LDS site, with the exception of John they have 1785 as his approx birth, your list makes him born c. 1790.

It would appear that there is a gap of 10 yrs between Samuel & John of course there may have been daughters born during this time who were then married by 1813.

I guessed the line I am looking for stemmed from Arthur, as the David I am looking at also named a Son Arthur in 1844.

You mentioned you have access to Baptism records, would there be any chance you have access to Marriages?  I was in Proni last Oct and saw that all the BMD's for this church had been put into a Spreadsheet format (I believe because of the fragile condition of the records).  But of course at that time I was only looking for Pollock/Poag/Pogues not Semples!!

My dilemma is David Semple born c. 1809 married Elizabeth Gamble circa 1834 both were of Ballyboley - I had hoped that he would be the son of one of Arthur's sons.  It may be that his family did not attend Ballyeaton 1st, but the other Ballyeaston Presbyterian church, or was it that children were not recorded? 

Sorry this sounds very garbled, but I trust you follow my thought pattern trying to fit David born c . 1809 back to Arthur born c. 1753.

The reason for all this is we know David is the Father of our Illegitimate 2xGt Grandfather John Ferguson who was Baptised at Larne & Kilwaughter NSP in June 1834 as David Semple, Weaver of Upper Ballyboley was named as the Father.

If you are able to shred any small glimmer of light I would really appreciate it.

Lynn

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

John's age in the 1813 census could be incorrect. I will have to check this with the records at PRONI. I don't have a copy of the Marriage records at home but the next time I am at Proni I will have a look for you.

At Proni there is also Microfilm of the Original registers as well are the Spreadsheet ones. Only The Baptismal register have been computerised so far and we in the middle of putting the Marriage records on.

I must warn you that it is difficult to find many records before 1800's for the Ballyeaston area.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John.

I fully appreciate the difficulty regarding early records, and also after spending 5 days (incl the late night opening on Thursday) never moving from my seat in the "Film" room in Proni - even if records have been filmed, how challenging at times it was to transcribe them!!!  I don't envy your task - I have to admit that the finding of Ballyeaston 1st Baptism Index in Spreadsheet format was "heaven to my weary eyes" - but as I said before sadly at the time I was concentrating on just the name of Pollock & it's variations.

Perhaps one day they may allow the whole spreadsheet file to be put on their website, it was great just being able to Filter out the names I was looking for.

I would be interested in knowing any details of the David's marriage in 1834 if it is recorded, as possibly this explains (if he was previously betrothed) why David Semple did not marry Sarah Ferguson of Kilwaughter & left her with an illegitimate child.  (In which case would I have still been here asking these questions??? - one never knows - there are a lot of what ifs, if onlys or maybes etc in this life).

Look forward to reading whatever else you are able to pass on.

Lynn

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Sorry for the delay but I found a marriage for David Semple, Ballyboley to Eliz Gamble, Ballyalbana on 24 December 1834 in presence of Robert Wilson and Samuel Currie in First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church.

John

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Now it is my turn to apologise for the delay in replying to thank you for the Marriage Information on David Semple & Elizabeth Gamble - I will have a look at the Family again soon.

I've spent most of the summer working again on my Pollock/Poag families along with another girl - trying to weave the threads together.  I have suddenly been given a new snippet of information which relates to another Ballyeaston 1st Marriage, which I hope you don't mind me asking for yet another favour.

I appreciate that PRONI has now closed until next year, and that you said you were working on the Marriages.......I'm just hoping you may have got to 1860.  It may be that the information I'm looking for may not have been recorded anyway - the Father's names of the couple.  We have the following information :

Thomas Pollock married Eliza Haveron at Ballyeaston 1st Presbyterian on 1st March 1860 - Witnesses were John Ferguson (my Gt Gt G/F) & Margaret Stirling.  It also states that Thomas' Father was Robert Pollock, what I'm now interested to know is who Elizabeth's Father was? if it was Daniel Haveron possible Occupation Ship's Carpenter, then this could tie in with the new information I've found.

Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed you may have got to 1860, but if not will just have to be patient until next year!

Once again many thanks for the help you have given me already.

Lynn

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Eliza Haveron's Father was James Haveron a Labourer from KILLYGLEN BALLYEASTON.

I can find no other connection for either your Pollock or Haveron's to 1st Ballyeaston. It could be possible that they came to Ballyeaston to get married because their own church had no minister at the time.

Can I ask where you got your information from that includes the witnesses names?

John

Offline skels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for letting me know Elizabeth's Father's name - this now looks unlikely that the man in New Jersey USA line is connected to ours.  But at least I can give him all the correct details.

As far as to where the Witness info came from, it was from a lady in Canada who had been at PRONI back in 2001 and had noted down various Pollock/Poag/Pogue connections  that may have had connections to her family, so presumably she must have read the film.

Thanks again for the swift reply

Lynn