Author Topic: Family boycott of civil registration?  (Read 12160 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family boycott of civil registration?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 March 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Next of Kin is JOHN HENRY (not James as you said in last post) ;)

I suppose it could be surname Henry - worth looking into I guess.

If Cornelius the baker died in 1853 it would be strange for her to call a child born to another man in 1862 Cornelius.  And if he was a baker then it is unlikely he was the same Cornelius the painter that married Jane Brereton...or his father  the mason???  So they re out for now.

Hannah could have remarried someone called Rayton or similar? (not that I can see anything)

Milly

Hi Anthony ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 March 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I meant John Henry. I am getting old.

Cornelius the baker was not my Cornelius. The baker was married to a Sarah and they had a ton of kids under the shadow of the mills on Jersey Street. I like the idea of John Henry being a full name. I will get back to you on that. Would be nice if he was one of Jane's lodgers!
Cornelius the painter (or labourer depending on when he was asked) was the one that married Jane Brereton. Cornelius the mason was his dad, presumably deceased by 1841.
See why I get confused? This is driving me barmy!

Geoff
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 March 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony. Didn't mean to ignore you, just I am a little focused on my missing Riley family.

All could be answered if I could find Jane Riley and family in the 1861 census. As she was a witness to her sister's marriage in 1869 she must have been alive, but as usual she is missing. As is elder Cornelius if he is still alive. As is James the Hawker, born 1855.

Where oh where are they?

Geoff
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have received some certificates. The Jane who died in Pendleton in 1892 was not my Jane.

The Cornelius Riley born 1853 was the son of my Jane, address was given as Queen Anne's Court off Red Bank, a delightful spot sandwiched between the Irk, the railway, and a tannery.

So from the records Cornelius is 157 years old this year as he did not die (the 1853 death of Cornelius Riley was the baker), or at least the family did not register his death. Did they toss his body in the Irk?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
How frustrating ??? ??? ???

I would ask if they could have emigrated...but seeing as they don't appear even to have been born......... ??? ??? ???

Milly :D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I originally thought that, but I have Jane as a witness at her sister's marriage in Salford in 1869.

Another thought I had (and this is really scraping the barrel) is that Cornelius was his name when christened, but he was then called something else, possibly James (as in James the Hawker-the date of birth is about right), maybe to avoid confusion with his dad? Jane had a sister christened Hannah Brereton born 1838, but on every census she appears as Mary Ann Brereton (the same one who had Jane as witness).

From the IGI I also have another child, Ann Riley, born to Cornelius and Jane and baptised in Manchester Cathedral in May 1855. No sign of any of them in the 1861 census.

Yes, all very frustrating. Our US census has just arrived and I will make sure future genealogists don't get confused. Except the feds got my address wrong!

I have some other certificates due soon and I will keep you posted. Thanks for your help,
Geoff

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
The different name at baptism does seam a likely explanation - and that they used their middle name all their life. But you would think when they died the middle name would then have been included on the certifiate. 

All very odd

Milly (awaiting the next installment) ;D ;D

Offline amram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this baptism from Catholic Record Index of MLFHS
1853 Cornelius Jas, Page 159 at Manchester St. Chad. (Jas short for James)
SKINNER - Manchester/Newark, Notts
WILSON, MORRIS, LARKIN, CURLEY, McCLUSKEY, KELLY - Manchester
McDERMOTT - Roscommon, Ireland
BALLAM - Wigan/Manchester/Ashton

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 March 10 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Aaaaaahhhh! That would explain a whole mess of problems. You are a genius!!!!

If I were called Cornelius James I think I would forget the Cornelius bit. That could mean that James the Hawker might be this Cornelius, hence the missing Jane and my great great grandmother have been located.

I will toast you tonight. Thanks so much,
Geoff