Author Topic: Family boycott of civil registration?  (Read 12159 times)

Offline laurynkate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family boycott of civil registration?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying and also for finding out all this information about my family's history. I always wondered if Horatio was foreign but now I see that he wasn't. Do you have any other information about whether any of the Lilleys/Breretons come from abroad? The other side of my family come from Ireland so I would love to find out if there are any more ethnicities running in my family. It won't let me upload a picture of my family tree from Ancestry.com but if it does match up to this thread, it could possibly mean that we are related. How crazy is that?

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family boycott of civil registration?
« Reply #46 on: Monday 11 September 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome, and yes, we are related by marriage. Jane was born ca 1826, in Cheshire, eldest child of John Brereton and Hannah Jackson. My maternal grandmother was Harriet Brereton, great grandchild of John and Hannah. When I was little and went Cheshire my mother always told be that "all this should be ours" referring to Delamere Forest. I didn't pay much attention, as the Breretons in my family were really poor, perhaps my poorest relatives. When I did my research I discovered that John's father, John senior, predeceased his father Samuel by two years. Samuel lived in a farm that still stands, Ash House Farm, near Oulton, Cheshire. He left his inheritance to John senior's widow Ellen. A few years later Ellen married a man 25 years her junior and disinherited her children, plunging John into poverty. He married, had six children, and moved to Manchester where he died of asthma soon later. Jane and her siblings had nothing, and lived in Angel Meadow, the worst slum in Europe.

Jane married Cornelius James Riley in 1844, and as she was protestant and he was catholic, then her children were baptised in both denominations. In about 1856 Cornelius walked out on Jane, and he  finished up in gaol for abandonment. Jane started to live with a married brickmaker called John Lilley, and they had several children around 1860-1870 (he was at the same time having children with his legal wife). The children were baptised Riley at Manchester Cathedral, and Lilley by civil registration. Later the children seem to have used both names. The fact that Riley and Lilley were similar had me flummoxed for a while, as did the fact that Cornelius James used both forenames at different times. Your Horatio Lilley Riley was one of the children, and I have been in touch with descendants of some of the others. John Lilley had a relative Horatio Lilley who died quite young, so clearly your Horatio was named for him.

I have not found deaths of Jane, John Lilley, or Hannah Brereton. Jane and John were still around in 1881, Hannah in 1871, and Hannah was in Strangeways prison in 1868. Possibly Jane and John married after John's wife died and they lived in Levenshulme. I really don't klnow much more.

Hope this helps,

Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).