Author Topic: Mansfields of Derby. Can anyone help?  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfields of Derby. Can anyone help?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 April 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Spendlove,

Glover v East (1842) is the case I am currently syudying. I have a complete copy of all the testimony in the case, which dragged on until 1847, and from what I can see Sarah Glover would have quite a difficult job to prove any wrongdoing on East's part, since she seems to have used him as a financial adviser since the death of her husband in 1831 and had consented to the etablishment of a joint fund in the names of East, Glover and Mansfield from the outset. The court documents include financial accounts, from which it is clear that Sarah Glover had countersigned each year, certifying the accounts to be accurate and to have her approval.

That East was fiddling I have no doubt but he was doing so in a manner which Sarah seems to have countenanced. Her sister, Elizabeth, seems to have ben a meek creature who simply went along with Sarah's wishes. I have a digital photograph of the mortgage deed on the coaching inn, from which it is clear that Sarah and Elizabeth are granting the mortgage, arranged so that East could make a profit on the sale of the inn. However, Sarah denies any knowledge of this transaction or that she had been consulted beforehand. In his defence East claims to have exercised full control over the joint fund since its inception, claiming that it had been set up to protect the interests of two vulnerable and unworldly ladies.

My only problem is that there are various forms of judgement in Chancery. I don't know which was used or when it was passed down, so I will have to make a trip to the National Archive at Kew to get the answer.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Gaberston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 19:40 BST (UK) »

I am also looking at the Mansfields of Derby - specifically the children of William Mansfield - spouse unknown.
Following children christened at All Saints Derby on;
William Mansfield - 1720
Elizabeth Mansfield - (1721-98) - married 1738, Robert Radford (1717-96)
John Mansfield - (1723-1803)
Simon Mansfield -1728 - married 1752, Elizabeth Johnston
Henry Mansfield -1730

I believe the family were non-jurors

regards

steven

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 June 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven,

Looks like the technical gremlins have crept in. For some reason I received two copies of your post to this thread but my response to the first one I opened doesn't seem to have posted so her's anothe go. Apologies if you receive both.

It has been several years since I looked into the Mansfield family and I shall be pleased to add your information to my database, since it all adds up to a more complete picture. I'm afraid I can't offer any help with this particular branch of the family, as my interest has been pretty narrowly restricted to those members involved in the stablishment of Spring Hill College but I have added you to my list of interested parties ao that if anything relevant comes to light I will be able to pass it on.

Regards,

Keith