Author Topic: Fitzsimmons/Allen  (Read 17518 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New to Irish Ancestry - Newtonstewart, Co Tyrone
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 March 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both; will ring the lady again at Strabane and ask her if she can confirm that I will get all the details on the marriage verification (ie the parents names etc) and will let you know the outcome.

I have googled Corrick Presbyterian Church and found some photos on line; will continue looking for more information.

Thanks again

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 March 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have just received the verification this morning and the Registrar tells me that the Register books for Corrick Meeting House were destroyed by fire.

However, the verification certificate confirms the fathers as Wm. Fitzsimmons, farmer and Samuel Allin (Allen),  Farmer.  William Fitzsimmons was residing at BEAUGHS and Catherine, CORRICK.

I know, thanks to the above messages, where Corrick is but does anyone have any idea where Beaughs might be please?

Should I post a new thread for Beaughs do you think?

Also, where do I go from here - not sure as I am very new to Irish Ancestry.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How do I find out more info on fathers please?
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 March 10 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a marriage verification from which I have the father's name of the bride as Samuel Allin (although it should probably read Allen) and he is noted as a farmer.  The marriage was in 1861, Corrick.

I have searched the Griffiths valuations available on the web but can't find any more information at all.

Also on the veification is Wm Fitzsimmons father of Wm Fitzsimmons, farmer, residing at Beaughs.  Now I am not sure whether this place is in Tyrone as I cant find anything on it all.  Perhaps it is now spelt differently?

Can someone please point me in the right direction as I am very new to Irish ancestry and would like to discover more about Samuel Allen and William Fitxsimmons as they  are  my 4th gt grandfathers.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out more info on fathers please?
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 March 10 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I think that the areas you are Looking for are Corick and Beagh. There are several areas called Beath in Co. Tyrone but one of them is very close to Clogher as is Corick.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 March 10 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell

Thanks for your msg.

Can you please advise when looking at the Griffiths Valuation if I should be looking for Clogher and the surnames I am looking for as I am a little confused, or should I be looking for Corick and Beagh?

Also, I had started my previous post this morning as a new topic (hence the change of the subject heading) but it seems to have been incorporated somehow into my previous topic message and I dont understand how this could have happened, unless of course, a Moderator has merged the 2 topics together?  I don't mind at all, just wondered why this had happened?  I thought it was best to start a new topic as it wasnt related to my original posting regarding Newtonstewart.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I was also confused by finding the posts had been merged. As for Griffiths, I tend to look up the Townlands as the parish, Clogher, would be a little long. However I have looked briefly through the names in both townlands which I mentioned and did not find your names. I also looked for Fitzsimmons in the county of Tyrone and found only one. However on another site I found a marriage of a William Fitzsimmons to Sarah Jane Skelton in Killyman Church of Ireland, Dungannon on 9 Jan 1846. I do not know of any connection to your ancestors.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzsimmons/Allen
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I merged the two threads together as they concern Fitzsimmons and Allen families - this way people won't have to keep checking both threads but I've now renamed the thread to make it clearer.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Firstly, thanks, aghadowey for clarifying that the threads had been merged and named; at least I know I wasn't going mad as I questioned myself as to whether or not I had in fact started a new thread  ;D

Kingskerswell, thanks for your msg; I too have look for both surnames on Griffiths but haven't come up with anything.  Since the marriage I have was in 1861, the earlier marriage in 1846 may  not be related to my families, but then what was the age you could marry in Ireland, was it the same as in England?

I guess I am not going to get very far at all with my Irish roots which is a shame because I always knew I had Irish in me and I was really thrilled to discover it a couple of weeks ago.  I am solely reliant upon the internet as my illhealth prevents me from travelling at present.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the Griffiths to see if I could find any reference for the witnesses given on the verification; John McNichol (nothing found) and Moses Kilpatrick (found ref for Gortin 1859  which presumably means this was him) but it has the Landlord as Chas Jn Gardiner (in chancery).  What does in chancery mean please?  Checking the relating map it has the word Beagh on it so I must be in the right area.