Author Topic: Martham/Lingwood  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Martham/Lingwood
« on: Friday 19 March 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
It's typical that although so many Norfolk parishes are either on FreeReg or Family search that the ones I want aren't!

Can anyone help? I'm looking for the marriage of Thomas Pollard and Hannah/ Joanna Waters. I have a copy of their marriage licence dated 4 November 1795. He was of Martham and she was from Lingwood so there is a good chance that the marriage took place at Lingwood.

Thomas died two years after the marriage (Admins granted 1797) so I am hoping that he was buried in his home parish of Martham.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Martham/Lingwood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
From Boyds marriage index.

1795 / POLLARD  THOS / WATERS  HANNA / MARTHAM / NORFOLK 
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that's narrowed it down a bit  :)

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Peter2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this is very old info you already have but there are two Thomas Pollards buried in St Mary the Virgin, Martham graveyard. One is Thomas Pollard died born about 1749; died 1798 buried section E, plot E2 and the other is Thomas Henry Pollard born about 1797, died 2nd August 1875, buried section E, plot H3. Not sure if they are related or who they married but would appreciate knowing if you have info. Thanks. Peter Dawson

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
I've had to have a good search in the (very) dusty corners of my brain for this  ;D

To be honest my interest wasn't in the Pollard family but more in the man  who Hannah/Joanna married after Thomas Pollard. She was the daughter of Jonas Wells and Hannah Utting and was baptised in Hapton in 1754. She married firstly William Waters who died in 1782 and then married Thomas Pollard at Martham 17 November 1795 - I'm assuming he was the Thomas Pollard who was buried there on 16 May 1797? Hannah went onto marry for a third time - Robert Emeris on 27 December 1799 - he is one of the people mentioned in the Diary of Parson James Woodforde which is why I was interested in his life (there is no mention of anyone called Pollard in the diary)

Carole

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thomas Pollard, single of Martham married Hannah Warters widow of Lingwood, 17 November 1795
at Martham by License.
Witness Charles Pollard, Sarah Curle, and Robert Porter. All signed.
NFHS transcription

Offline Peter2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole that is helpful. I have started an even dafter exercise in photographing every grave at St Mary's, Martham, listing them and then looking at how many families in the village can be linked by family trees. I think it will turn out to be a lifetimes work!! Luckily I live almost opposite the graveyard.
Peter

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful exercise you are taking on Peter. I admire you for it.

THOMAS HENRY Pollard Baptised 10 Jan 1797 (birth 7 Jan 1797), St Mary the Virgin, Martham
Parents CHARLES/SARAH Pollard
Their other Children, just Baptism dates;
CHARLOTTE 28 Oct 1800
JOHN 6 Oct 1802
SARAH 13 Sept 1804
CHARLES 21 April 1811
(Source FreeREG)

Charles POLLARD married Sarah MANN 26 Sept 1795, Norwich, Norfolk
(Familysearch.Org)

This Marriage is also on FreeREG Charles was of Martham. A REBECCA Mann was a Witness*

Note this as a EMILY Pollard was Baptised 27 July 1822, Martham, Parents Charles Pollard and Rebecca Mann***.
Fathers Occp Farmer

1841 Census
Thorpe Terrace,
Hamlet of Thorpe,
St Andrew Thorpe, Norfolk
Charles Pollard, 75, Independant
Rebecca Pollard, 60
Emily Pollard, 18

Emily married 1842 Thorpe (FreeREG)

Wonder if Rebecca was a Sister of Sarah?

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
1835 Reg of Electors has these Pollards in Martham;
Charles, Freehold House and Land at Cess
John, Occp above 50 pounds, Pollard's Town Farm
William, Occp above 50 pounds, Pollard's Cess Farm

Married London;

Charles Pollard, Widower of Martham, Norfolk
Rebecca Mann, Spinster
20 Dec 1819
Parish:   St Bride Fleet Street
Borough:   City of London

Found Rebecca Mans Baptism 1779 Howe, Norfolk (pob 1851 Census) but she does not seem to have had a Sister Sarah.

Although I cant prove it I would say Thomas/Charles were Brothers, Thomas's 1797 Burial has him as a Farmer also.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)