Author Topic: Farming in Cherry Lane, Lymm, in 1861  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Farming in Cherry Lane, Lymm, in 1861
« on: Saturday 20 March 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I am presently trying to find out all I can about the background of the MORGAN family.  In 1861 they were farming in Cherry Lane, Lymm.  Quite an evocative location, so were there ever cherry trees there, or indeed are there any surviving today, if so...
Very best wishes, keith

Offline mersey_view

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in Cherry Lane, Lymm, in 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Cherry Lane, Lymm is very well known locally, partly because it links the M6 with the village of Lymm.
Junction 20 on the M6 is often referred to as the Cherry Lane turnoff.

You can use Google Street view to journey down Cherry Lane from the M6 into Lymm.
Use postcode WA13 0TA  (that is zero TA), and the orange man

regards
Allan

CHS: Entwistle - Stockton Heath, Appleton, Great Budworth, Warrington, Latchford, Altrincham, Northwich, Macclesfield
LAN: Enwistle - Warrington, Salford, Manchester,
CHS: Warburton - Weaverham
CHS: Barber - Great Budworth
CHS: Nickson - Great Budworth

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Allan's given a good way to identify the lane. You might also be interested in looking at the Cheshire Tithe Maps site

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/Search.aspx

You can search the "apportionments" by name - there's an Elizabeth Morgan listed as a tenant in Lymm (this is c1837) and then see on a large scale map exactly where these are. These also tell you what each field was used for at the time. You can then bring up a parallel modern map. If the 1837 is too early they have other dates of maps (eg 1875 & 1910) that you can view side by side.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all this lovely information, Allan and Mshrmh!
I've now got Cherry Lane firmly fixed, and as for those tithe maps, now they're really fascinating!
In 1881 George MORGAN's son George Enoch MORGAN was farming in a slightly different location in Cheshire, but by 1891 he was running a pub called The Unicorn in a village just south of Cambridge, where I live; then by 1901 he was in Cambridge running the pub called The Burleigh Arms.  Both pubs are good drinking places today, I may add...
Have no idea why he decided to leave farming and places such as Cherry Lane to become a publican down south.  Perhaps agriculture went through a bad period in the later 19thC. in that particular area.
Interestingly, in the 1911 census of Cambridge, even though George Enoch is still a publican, one of his sons, Harry, is described as "Cow Keeper" - keeping to his farming roots, perhaps.  It even sounds a bit like the opening scene from Jack and the Beanstalk!
Many thanks for your help with the Cheshire background, sorry that I've rather rambled off at a bit of a tangent...
regards, keith

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Keith...the first Babtism of a MORGAN in Lymm is Mary Ann Morgan b 11th April 1791 and babtised 24th April 1791....luckily Lymm records are very thorough....so tracing your Morgan back in Lymm should be easier than most
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/ has the parish records
Enoch Morgan born 6th September 1812 babtised 27th Sep 1812 father George mother Betty for example.......allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 March 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Garstonite,
Thanks very much for all this, it looks very promising - things usually are much more straightforward if a family has remained put in one parish for a good while!
The George Enoch MORGAN I am pursuing was born in about 1854 according to Ancestry, and his father George in about 1805, worked out from Census records.  I'm wondering whether Enoch MORGAN would have been an uncle of George Enoch.
But there's one way to find out, and that's to have a good look at that link to the parish records that you so kindly provide...
Many thanks, keith
N.B. havejust had a quick look on the IGI, and there's a baptism on 29th June 1853 at Manchester Cathedral for a George Enoch MORGAN.  His family must have moved away from the leafy cherry trees of Cheshire for a while before they came back to farm there...

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
a bit odd Keith
   children and brothers of the Enoch I mentioned b 1812
22nd march 1801 Thomas Morgan
19th jan 1803 Samuel
George Morgan b 12 oct 1804
Charles b 5th oct 1806   
NO GIRLS ?...and 1806-1812 between Chas and Enochs births...nearly 7 years?

This is what`s puzzling me.. George Enoch b abt 1854 isn`t mentioned...R U Sure he was babtised in Lymm ?....allan ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Allan,
Looks like the George MORGAN b.12-10-1804 is exactly the right person, with his siblings Thomas, Samuel and Charles and Enoch...
George Enoch could well have been born in a neighbouring Cheshire parish, or indeed just across the county border in Lancashire.  I have seen Blackley, part of North Manchester (?) mentioned in some of the Censuses.  Just a journey along the Manchester Ship Canal in those days, I imagine...
Regards, keith
p.s. Have just had a quick look on the IGI, and there's a 29th June 1853 baptism at Manchester Cathedral for a George Enoch MORGAN.  Looks as though George senior and his family made the move to Lancashire for a while, before returning to the leafy cherry trees of Cheshire to farm...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 March 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Allan,
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to decipher the details on that excellent Cheshire database.  There appears to be an 1833 burial for a George MORGAN in Lymm.  This would fit with three fields being in the name of Elizabeth MORGAN in that 1837 tithe map that Mshrmh kindly put on this thread earlier.  I've found a marriage on 06-01-1799 in Flixton. Lancs - not a million miles away - between a George MORGAN and a Betty PERSIVAL that fits quite well, and there seems to be no sign of husband George by that 1837 tithe map, or indeed with the family in the 1841 Census.
Are there other details of this 1833 burial, age of the deceased, for instance...?
keith