Author Topic: Spike Island  (Read 13127 times)

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spike Island
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again Valerie,

Reading your post I had this glorious vision of you in your holiday attire in a small dingy rowing for all your worth toward Spike Island. I do so agree with you that a harbor cruise around the island (lovely though I am sure it would be) just wouldn't be the same as actually setting foot on the Island and visiting the places that mean so much to you. I do so hope that your dreams do come true.
                                           Jean.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
The regimental BMDs available on Findmypast for example do contain some 'home' events. Some of my GF's children born in both Ireland and England are recorded. But they are recorded on the civil registers as well, so I am surprised the Irish GRO cannot locate them.

Ken

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
The regimental BMDs available on Findmypast for example do contain some 'home' events. Some of my GF's children born in both Ireland and England are recorded. But they are recorded on the civil registers as well, so I am surprised the Irish GRO cannot locate them.

Ken

Full Civil registration only started in Ireland in 1864, so GRO Ireland will not have birth records before that. I believe the births being mentioned are from the 1840s or 50s..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 April 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken. I was very disappointed they couldn't locate it but as my great grandfather was born in 1849 and Irish civil registration didn't start until 1864 maybe that is the reason. I have tried the "Find my past" but no luck thus far. The difficulty may be not knowing if the family were military or there in a civilian capacity which I would have thought was doubtful. However, I have contacted a researcher at the National Archives in the hope that they may be able to uncover some information for me - at least they know where to look as they are doing it all the time - it's worth a try anyway. But in the meantime Mary is looking into it for me at her local library so I am hopeful that she may uncover something useful. Jean.

Offline setanta

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
My 3x gt grandfather was imprisoned on Spike Island in 1847.  As we are visiting Ireland in June I would like to know if it is possible to visit the Island and also if there any records of the prisoners held there.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

I hope I'm not to late with this information. Spike Island will be open to the public this Saturday, 31st of July. Launch leaving Kennedy pier @ 2pm. The launch will take 70 passengers (first come first served basis.). Will be running on Sunday too.

Regards Miriam

Offline merritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 03:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are too late.  I was in Cobh in June actually in the area for 2 wonderfull weeks.  While I was there I did have a very exciting meeting with Michael Martin whose book, Spike Island, you may know.

I had made contact with Michael before leaving NZ and he said to contact him when I was in Cobh which I did.  He is a charming man and took time out of his busy schedule to talk to me which I appreciated.  He actually told me that it was not possible to go to Spike Island until the end of July as you said.  He did tell me that there was a petition in to the Irish Parliament for a postumous pardon for the prisoners on Spike Island who stole food during the famine.  This is of great interest to me and I suggest to many others.

I was also able to find the marriage registration of my other 3x gt grandparents in Carrigtwohill  in 1841 so I came away very happy.  :D

Best wishes Valerie
Farrell - Kerry
Ahearn - Cork

Offline Tony11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this forum but I saw this subject on Spike Island and it rangbell? so i checked my family history
I have a Great uncle born on Spike Island in 1876
he was called Sailsbury Lowe.
his father was called James Lowe and was in the army around this time,mother was Maria Lowe (nee Day)
  I would be greatfull for any information related to his birth there.and how to get any documented evidence about him,
thank you in advance
Tony

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
There's a birth listed in civil index for Salsbury Lowe 1875 Cork registration district volume 15 page 193. See here for details on birth certificates and how to order them-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433041.0.html

I.G.I (www.familysearch.org) shows Salsbury Lowe born 3 July 1875 Co.Cork with parents James Lowe and Maria Day.

LDS site also lists the family in 1881 census-New Infantry Barracks, Fulford Rd, York Place, Gate Fulford, York, England:
James Lowe, soldier (private), 40, born Kilcleagh Kings
wife Maria Lowe, 26, born Bantry Cork
son Salsbury Lowe, 6, born Spike Island Cork, scholar
son George Lowe, 4,  born Fyzabad India           
son Jeremiah Lowe, 5 months, born Fulford Barracks York England
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

The army records of a James Lowe, born c1841 in Tullamore, Westmeath are on Findmypast. The most famous Tullamore is next door in Offaly, but there is one near Kilbeggan, Westmeath - although it is a fair way from Kilcreagh.

If you look at the 1881 census (free on the IGI) and search near the front until you find some officers I can usually tell you which regiemnt he was serving in at the time.

Ken