Author Topic: Leckwith Village  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leckwith Village
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
As well as researching my family history I'm trying to find out all I can about the little village of Leckwith (just outside Cardiff), as I grew up there.  I am particularly interested in finding out about the big house known as 'Woodlands' that became a nursing home and Ynyston Farm.  I already have quite a lot of information, but would be interested in any recollections from people who know the area and I am especially interested in any old photographs or postcards.  I am also very interested in any information about the limestone quarries in Leckwith and the people who worked in them.
Leckwith - Coles, Lewis, Wyatt, David
Nether/Over Stowey - Coles
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leckwith Village
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
LeckwithLeckwith is a small village which possibly derives its name from Llechwedd, meaning a hillside. It is on the B4267 road leading towards Cardiff and is two miles from the city.

Pretty cottages once bordered the road by The Gower but they made way for road widening schemes. Attractive houses were built further back, overlooking what is now Leckwith Green. Here it is very pleasant walking country and on leaving Leckwith village, hidden away off the main road, is Ynyston Farm, standing empty and forlorn. Presumably its fate will be the same as so many other farms today and become a site for housing development. Ynyston Farm served Llandough and Leckwith people daily with their milk, which was put into milk churns, placed on a horse-drawn cart and delivered by Mr Coles and later by his family. On hearing the sound of the horses' hooves, the villagers would appear with their milk jugs and the milk was measured accordingly into them.

The Woodlands Nursing Home is also set back from the road. It was once the Shirley's family home and later used by the University of Wales for residential and study purposes.

Go to the summit of Leckwith Hill to enjoy the views across the Bristol Channel and Penarth Head. Travel down Leckwith Hill to see and enjoy the marvellous panoramic view of Cardiff, the Capital of Wales, and its surroundings. Midway on the hill and partly hidden under the bank is Factory House, purported to be a woollen factory in days gone by. Leckwith Hill leads to Leckwith Common. Sadly the common, where horses used to roam, has gone and all one sees now is a sports stadium, warehouses and offices.

NB
The village information above is taken from The Glamorgan Village Book, written by members of the Glamorgan Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. Click on the link Countryside Books to view Countryside's range of other local titles.
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »

Ynyston Farm, near Leckwith
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  However, it's now rather out of date - Ynyston Farm and the old farm buildings have been converted into various houses etc.  I should have been more specific with my request.  As I grew up in Leckwith I already had a good knowledge of the area and I have discovered more as part of the research into my family history.  I am interested in hearing from anybody who may have any connections and hopefully recollections of Leckwith and the surrounding areas.  However, any information would be gratefully received.
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Ops thought you didnt know the area.
Heddwch
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 10 22:57 GMT (UK) »
That's ok. Thanks for trying to help.  Just wish I could contact Saxonw to find out if he/she is still searching for Winefred Jones from Cardigan.
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 March 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
here's a photo for you june, from kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 March 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kali, thanks for the picture.  I saw it some time ago but couldn't remember where and I'm very interested to see it again. Perhaps it will jog someone's memory and they'll post me some more information. I live in hope.
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline emmacoles23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandfather Lewis Coles was the diary farmer at Ynyston Farm.  If your still interest in Leckwith give me an email.

Moderator comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy, to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such info. You might have to post twice more to activate the system.

Regards
Emma Coles