Author Topic: Harte,Birr Co.Offaly  (Read 24191 times)

Offline arnhem44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harte,Birr Co.Offaly
« on: Monday 02 February 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,I was just wondering if anyone could help me,my mother is trying to find out about relatives in Birr named Harte,her grandfathers name was Joseph and her grandmothers name was Margret,its belived that she was married before this but her husband died,her first married name was O'Regan and her surname was Mcgrath,my mother also thinks that her grandfather served in WW1?,her fathers name was Anthony and he moved to Cork where he met my grandmother Bridget,he died in 1971 aged 52,this is all I have and some of the details may be wrong,she never knew her grandparents due to been unable to travel,if anyone could help it would be great.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harte,Birr Co.Offaly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Another post here looking for same family:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,343749.msg2347578.html#msg2347578

To avoid needless duplication and confusion it is best to keep everything on the one thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline arnhem44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for any confusion,I didn't want to hog those other threads when they were covering different subjects,I'm merely  looking for some help,everywhere I've looked requires a credit card for information which I do not have anymore and since I don't really know how to go about this a little help to point me in the right direction would be warmly recieved,again sorry if there was any confusion.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

Birr Roots 1901 (house and tenant only)

Bridge st; (17)
Harte Ellan, Daniel, Agnes.

Clonoghil Upper-rural (19)
Harte Mary, Anne, Winifred, John, Kate, Joseph, Jane.

Crinkill Swag st; (9)
Harte Anne, Mary, Thomas, Eliza, Andrew, John (soldiers wife)
(13)
HART Martin & Lizzie;  Mary, Charley, James, Lizzie, Martin (carpenter)

Castle st; (15)
Harte Michael & Mary;  Mary. (bootmaker)

Glebe st; (10)
Harte Rody & Anne;

Townsparks (14)
HART Thomas & Margaret;  Alice, Roland, Elsie, Mary, Ruby.

St Johns Industrial school (pupil)
Harte Lena.
===================
Coolnagower (3)
Harte Mary, John, Joseph

Crinkill  Swag st; (4)
Harte Elizabeth, Charles, james, Elizabeth, Nellie, Margaret, Sarah
(10)
Harte Andrew & Annie; Mary, Thomas, Joseph, Cissie, Andrew, Patrick, Margaret.

Hospital lane; (1)
Harte Margaret

High st; (43)
Harte Rody & Anne; Michael, Annie, Rose, Martin.

John's place; (30)
Harte Ellen

Townsparks (6)
Harte Henry & Alice.
-----------------
Electors list 36/37.

Coolnagower;
Harte Joseph

Drumbane;
Harte Denis, Joseph, Margaret, Mary, Michael.

The Green;
Harte Henry, Joseph, Mary.

Johns place;
Harte Margaret

Main st;
Elizabeth, John

Townsparks;
Harte Alice, Henry, Christopher.

Offline banjoman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »

(*) Moderator Comment: telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
[b.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 10 08:02 GMT (UK) »
her surname was McGrath,my mother also thinks that her grandfather served in WW1?,her fathers name was Anthony and he moved to Cork where he met my grandmother Bridget,he died in 1971 aged 52,

The logic is wrong here, rather than the politics!

You are implying that Anthony McGrath was born about 1916, so could not possibly have fought in WW1.

Do you know his father's name and we can see if a Medal Card exists for him

There is quite an interesting Tom Harte who served in the Leinsters in WW1
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 March 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »

For what its worth the items below is from 'The Offaly War Dead' recently published.

HARTE, WILLIAM. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 6th Battalion.
Date of Death:31-December-1915. Service No:3133. Born in Philipstown, King’s County. Enlisted in Maryborough, Queens County. Died of wounds at home.
King’s County Independent, September, 1915
Wounded.
    Much regret was felt in Philipstown when the news was received there during the week that Private William Hart, of the Leinsters (nephew of Mr P. J. Hart, R. D. C. ), was seriously wounded during an engagement in the Dardanelles, and is at present in an hospital in England. Before the war started Private Hart was making a good living at his trade as a tailor, but he threw all up to fight for the Empire.
(Although the writer of the following newspaper article was not from Offaly, I include it for your reference simply because as was in the 6th Battalion Leinster Regiment. The information would be relevant to the experiences Pte Harte/Hart who was in the same unit. Author)

King’s County Independent, January, 1916.
Philipstown.
Death of a Hero.
      Much regret was felt in Philipstown on last Saturday evening, when the news was circulated of the death in the Royal Victoria Hospital, netley, at the early age of 24 years, of Private William Hart (nephew of Mr Patrick. J. Hart, R. D. C. ), who belonged to the 6th Battalion Leinster Regiment. The deceased was a tailor by trade, and was working away steadily until shortly after the outbreak of hostilities when, like many more of his countrymen, he was filled with a desire for fight for the Empire, and so gave up his work to become a soldier of the king. Being well set up and naturally smart to took kindly to military training, and it was not long until, with the rest of his regiment, he was en-route for the Dardanelles, which has proved such a death-trap for so many gallant Irishmen. The deceased was reengaged in the landing at Suvla Bay in August, and, although only a mere youth, he fought with great bravery and coolness until laid prostrate by a bullet in the right knee, the wound proving so serious that the leg had to be afterwards amputated.
His wound could not, of course, he initially attended to until he was brought home to a place of safety. In his home life “Willie” Hart was very popular amongst his fellows, and he possessed a very wide circle of friends. He was very kind and considerate by nature and was of a most obliging disposition, and with a real “sport” from his very youth. He was captain of the local football team, and he led his men to victory on more than one occasion. He knew now the meaning of fear, but was brave even to recklessness. We are sure that when the full account of the manner in which Private Hart received his death wound, comes to be generally know, it will be seen that he fought as an Irish hero should, and that he did credit to his country and race. May the foreign soil rest lightly oe’r his brave heart.
(For more information about this man see-- STUDHOLME, LANCELOT JOSEPH MOORE. )
     Grave or Memorial Reference: RC. 868. Cemetery: Netley Military Cemetery, Hampshire, UK.
 There is lots of other information in the book about him.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 March 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
...Philipstown was the old name for Birr....

I thought Philipstown was the old name for Daingean... Birr was called Parsonstown.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Philipstown=Daingean I agree with that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daingean
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix